What to read before PGY1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

masterwolfie

Born to Lurk
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all! I know everyone says not to worry about studying and to just travel and relax for the rest of MS4 year, but I feel like I've lost a lot of knowledge and I AM going to be taking care of other people's children come July, so I'd love to know if there's anything I could read/podcasts to listen to/things to brush up on before intern year starts that'll help. I'm talking a chapter while I'm waiting at the airport, or a 20 minute podcast episode while I'm driving someplace, just so I can feel slightly less rusty on July 1st! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would review normal development (even on inpatient, there has been a handful of times when I've walked into the room and just eyeballing the kid can tell they are delayed, but you don't know that if you don't know normal). There's a couple of peds podcasts out there intended for third year med students, which may be a nice review. Beyond that, it's hard to give you an idea of what to read, because I don't know how your program is structured and what you might be seeing come July.

Having a card with normal vital signs for age would be useful, as would a way to look up medication dosing, but that's not something that you're going to be reading before hand.

Reactions: 1 user
On a similar note, when can we take Step 3? Is it possible to take it before June, or is it program/state dependent?

Members don't see this ad :)
Peds RAP is pretty good, but does cost money. Your program may give you educational funds for these sorts of things, so it really is worth waiting. You could also see if someone you know has access to Peds in Review or even some old issues (you'll get a subscription when you start, so don't buy any). You will be well supervised, and I promise that everyone is in the same boat come July. Relax and enjoy your time.

Reactions: 1 users
I remember someone here mentioned that the "The Philadelphia Guide: Inpatient Pediatrics" was the best for inpatient peds. The book was outdated and old (2005), but luckily they released a new edition just few months back, check it in amazon
The Philadelphia Guide: Inpatient Pediatrics, 2nd Edition

I bought it this week :whistle:

Any or all of the following would be a good idea before starting a Pediatric Intern year
1) Read baby 411: Questions and answers about new babies, written for a parent, by Pediatrician. Takes 1-2 days to read and annotate. Pretty much half of my clinic is parroting things from this book.
2) Read toddler 411: Same as above, but ages 1-5.. Takes 1-2 days to read and annotate
3) Make anki flashcards of developmental milestones and spend 10 minutes a day with them. Every time you see a kid start trying to guess his age based on what he is doing
4) Learn the vaccine schedule and routine screening guidelines for Pediatric clinic. Consider doing the CDC modules for vaccines: https://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/newmember.asp

Things a really motivated future Resident could do (one of):
1) Read/complete Polin and Yoder's Workbook in Practical Neonatology. This is a case files book for the NICU. Odds are that NICU is going to be one of your hardest rotations, and you will have had either one or no months of education in it prior to starting Intern year. Its a tough read (like it will take 20-30 hours to read through and understand it) but its well worth it, especially if you make flash cards and really drill down on the concepts. If you pair reading it with an MS4 NICU rotation you'll be a suprstar
2) Listen to ICU rounds, by Dr. Jeffery Guy. OK, this is actually a series of lectures for adult ICU, but FWIW I think this is the best summary of ICU care out there. there are 70+ lectures, all half an hour to an hour. You will be much better prepared for worst case non-nicu scenarios if you listen to them. They're on ITunes
3) Complete Cleveland Clinic's program in Pediatric Radiology: https://www.cchs.net/onlinelearning/cometvs10/pedrad/default.htm
4) Learn EKGs! Read through Dubin, then do 5 problems a day on Wavemaven
5) Learn to accurately describe a rash: read through lookingbill and Marks Principles of Dermatology. Its written for a medical student on a 2 week dermatology rotation, takes 1-2 days to read through.

If by some bizarre chance you get through all of that, you can read Zitellis. If you really want an all subjects Peds textbook that is actually readable as a book, rather than a reference, that's the one I'd recommend. Just going through an old Pediatrics in review every week would also be awesome.

Things I would NOT recommend
1) Peds RAP. I think this is really designed as a review/update for a board certified physician, or at least a senior resident. Don't do it unless you have a long commute and you've finished all of ICU rounds.
2) Nelsons. This is a reference
3) Any Qbank. Its just not that time yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
On a similar note, when can we take Step 3? Is it possible to take it before June, or is it program/state dependent?

Not program/state dependent, but you have to have a diploma before you can take Step 3, so it's logistically challenging to take it before intern year starts.

1) Read baby 411: Questions and answers about new babies, written for a parent, by Pediatrician. Takes 1-2 days to read and annotate. Pretty much half of my clinic is parroting things from this book.
2) Read toddler 411: Same as above, but ages 1-5.. Takes 1-2 days to read and annotate
3) Make anki flashcards of developmental milestones and spend 10 minutes a day with them. Every time you see a kid start trying to guess his age based on what he is doing
4) Learn the vaccine schedule and routine screening guidelines for Pediatric clinic. Consider doing the CDC modules for vaccines: https://www2a.cdc.gov/TCEOnline/newmember.asp

This. Especially 1-3. If you can get this done, even just reading without annotating or anything else, you'll have a good start. Remember that while you're taking care of kids July 1 (or June 24 for my residency program!), you're by far the most watched over, highly supervised person in the hospital on that day. Try not to stress too much and enjoy the time you have before the next part of your career begins!

Any or all of the following would be a good idea before starting a Pediatric Intern year

Things a really motivated future Resident could do (one of):
1) Read/complete Polin and Yoder's Workbook in Practical Neonatology. This is a case files book for the NICU. Odds are that NICU is going to be one of your hardest rotations, and you will have had either one or no months of education in it prior to starting Intern year. Its a tough read (like it will take 20-30 hours to read through and understand it) but its well worth it, especially if you make flash cards and really drill down on the concepts. If you pair reading it with an MS4 NICU rotation you'll be a suprstar
2) Listen to ICU rounds, by Dr. Jeffery Guy. OK, this is actually a series of lectures for adult ICU, but FWIW I think this is the best summary of ICU care out there. there are 70+ lectures, all half an hour to an hour. You will be much better prepared for worst case non-nicu scenarios if you listen to them. They're on ITunes
3) Complete Cleveland Clinic's program in Pediatric Radiology: https://www.cchs.net/onlinelearning/cometvs10/pedrad/default.htm
4) Learn EKGs! Read through Dubin, then do 5 problems a day on Wavemaven
5) Learn to accurately describe a rash: read through lookingbill and Marks Principles of Dermatology. Its written for a medical student on a 2 week dermatology rotation, takes 1-2 days to read through.

If by some bizarre chance you get through all of that, you can read Zitellis. If you really want an all subjects Peds textbook that is actually readable as a book, rather than a reference, that's the one I'd recommend. Just going through an old Pediatrics in review every week would also be awesome.

Things I would NOT recommend
1) Peds RAP. I think this is really designed as a review/update for a board certified physician, or at least a senior resident. Don't do it unless you have a long commute and you've finished all of ICU rounds.
2) Nelsons. This is a reference
3) Any Qbank. Its just not that time yet.
What is baby 411? Is it this book on amazonhttp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1889392510/ref=dp_ob_neva_mobile

what is a good book to read if you are starting out in primary care/out patient clinic rotation

what is a good book to read if you are starting out in primary care/out patient clinic rotation
As above: baby 411 and toddler 411, learn the vaccine schedule, and make flashcards for the developmental milestone. Med school is all about learning serious pathology, so you don't have a deficit there that's going to be fixed by a weekend's worth of reading. Well child advice and milestones, on the other hand, likely need to be learned from the ground up.