What to wear on a DPT school interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UFballerinaDPT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the "dress code" for interviewing at a DPT school? Is it appropriate to wear a dress, and if so how formal? I do not own a pant or skirt suit, and am trying to prepare for interviews in the coming months. Feedback is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Cant go wrong with business formal. I'd invest in a suit.

I think it varies depending on the program. The first interview I went on, I wore a nice blouse and dress pants, and I was one of 2-3 people who did not have a suit. Needless to say, I bought a skirt suit for the rest. But the next interview I went on, there were a couple more without suits. The majority seemed to wear pant suits though. One tip for girls is to wear flats if you are not comfortable with heels because there can be a lot of walking on tours, so you definitely want to be comfortable.

Members don't see this ad :)
A suit is always a safe and professional choice, and it's something you will soon enough need beyond interviews anyway. We were required to wear suits for internship interviews during second year, and you'll want it for job interviews as well. If you choose a classic style, you will get a lot of use from you investment in the next few years, well beyond upcoming interviews.

I actually interviewed today and I went with a really nice skirt and jacket suit with a cute stylish shirt underneath and I know I stood out among the crowd. Not to say those females in pant suits didn't look nice and professional, but I think the skirt suit made me look professional and feminine at the same time not to mention much cooler in the Florida heat. Make sure your suit fits well and isn't too short if you go with a skirt. Go minimal on jewelery and make up. Best of luck.

I would wear a suit. I wore one for my interview, and I'd say about 70% of the females and 100% of the males had suits on. While some of the girls looked professional in other outfits, not all did, and it's much easier to feel confident and professional with a suit on. I was definitely glad I made the investment, and like previous posters said, it is something that will last you a long time. If you are looking to stand out more, I would recommend wearing a nice, modest blouse under the suit as opposed to a button down collared shirt. Go with the suit!

I definately agree with the suit (pants or skirt does not matter usually) A suit is a classic staple you must have in your wardrobe as professional in the working "world". I always wear a collar shirt when I go to interviews under my jacket because it always looks good and its a very "safe" way to go regarding clothing. It might not be as feminine, but interviews are not a place that great style is going give you any extra credit points. I personally feel it is better to be a little over dressed than under dressed. I feel as if a PT school interview, is basically like a job interview and I always were a pants suit (im a female). And most important, make sure your clothes fit correctly. I have seen many people interview with Ill fitting clothes. Skirt should be not too short, no stomachs showing, Not super tight shirts, no baggy huge shirts, no short short pants.

I would be embarrassed to admit the lengths I went to in order to find the right outfit for my interview. After tons of researching I decided on a pant suit, which then took days and many miles of driving to find the right suit, shell (not a button down, too bulky for me) and shoe combo. In the end it paid off. I felt very confident and professional, and most of the other women there who looked the most "put together" we're also in pant suits. Btw I didn't see many skirts, but a skirt suit looks nice too. Good luck!

In my most recent interview, I wore a suit like almost everyone else. I remember a few guys there were very underdressed wearing polo shirts and were not shaved; some of the girls were wearing flip flops. It seemed especially awkward for them when durning the introduction, the speaker was telling all of us that the school has a strict professional dress code. ha.

I don't know where people get the idea to dress down for an interview. Moral of the story is:

-Dress for the career you want, not the position you have.

TL;DR
Invest in a suit.

I am an avid fan of clothing, but one thing is certain in interviews:they are more concerned with you...not what you are wearing. I wore a really nice dress to my interviewand got in. My sister applied for thesame school three years ago, wore kakis and a nice shirt, and got in. My mother applied to the same school, wore asuit, and got in. As long as you lookprofessional and present yourself well, you should be more than fine. Wear something that you feel comfortable andconfident in. (But try to avoid showingexcessive cleavage or too much leg)

Alright, so ladies, real talk: where do we go to buy suits? I'm talking 'makes you look like a smokin' hot young professional, yet doesn't break your bank.' Suggestions for stores, etc. are appreciated.

Alright, so ladies, real talk: where do we go to buy suits? I'm talking 'makes you look like a smokin' hot young professional, yet doesn't break your bank.' Suggestions for stores, etc. are appreciated.

If you're on a tight budget, I'd recommend NY&Co. If you sign up for their email coupons, you should be able to buy a suit and a shirt for under $100. It's not high end but they carry professional looking basics that don't look frumpy. If you have a little more to "invest" I would recommend Ann Taylor; they even alter for you I believe. Loft also carries some great suit separates, but they are hit or miss as to when they carry them.

The Limited is where I got my suit, and I remember them having a good amount of options. They also tend to have lots of coupons and give a discount to students!

I got mine at Banana Republic. It was about 250-200 but they also have coupons often and if you sign up for their credit card you get a decent amount off. I viewed my suit as an investment that I will wear for a long time, (but hopefully not too often!). Therefore, I wanted to get a classic well made suit that would last. I also liked what I saw at Ann Taylor and they always seem to have a sale going on.

The Limited is where I got my suit, and I remember them having a good amount of options. They also tend to have lots of coupons and give a discount to students!

I second that. The 15% student discount is MONEY. :thumbup: You can sign up for their credit card, pay it off and cancel it immediately and they'll give you another 15% off. Alterations are free with the Limited Card too. They're great about finding you something that really fits, and they have options for skinny people AND curvy people. I think my pant suit and blouse was less than $120.

Something I would also suggest: invest in something besides black. Every single girl in my interviewing group wore a black pants suit. I was wearing a khaki color and really stood out.

I wore a 2 piece skirt set. figured everyone else would be in black, Mine was a tan print. I was comfortable and all the important parts were covered. Low comfortable heels. Remember your are being accepted on your merits when the points are all calculated.

FWIW, I did not wear a suit (my wedding suit is too small... whoops) and it worked out just fine for me.

That said, you should probably wear a suit.... :)