What Type of Research is Conducted by Neurologists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Decepticon

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing a LOT of thinking about what kinda job I want to have in a few years. (MD student) Are there any Neurologists working in lab trying to solve pathophysiologic puzzles, or are Neurologists mainly concerned with comparing drugs, aspects of patient care, etc?

Learning about the nervous system is fun. Diagnosing is fun. But I don't see the options for discovering something new, or deciphering neurological disease.

Anybody here who can tell me a bit more about it?

Members don't see this ad.

you might want to google American Academy of Neurology's annual conference, and download their program. Or read the journal Neurology (which I'm assuming that you medical school would have a subscription to.)

Roughly, most of the academic neurology research is strongly disease oriented. Some neurologists may do basic science research related to their disease specialty. Historically, there are examples of prominent neurologist basic science researchers (Stanley Prusiner, etc.)