What Vet schools like High GPA the most?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Body Corpus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Changing from Human Medicine to Vet Medicine. Have 4.0 GPA with Microbiology degree from top 100 public university and lots of pre-med activities. Just starting to get Vet activities. Does anyone know of Vet school that likes top academic students? Working on getting more animal hours, not yet competitive in that area. Thx for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

What motivates you to switch from human to vet med?

Reactions: 8 users
Can I ask why you're changing fields?

I mean, I don't think any school is going to snub you for your GPA (and I think you know that). So the better question might be which schools you should apply to with low experience.

Personally, I would say if you don't have experience in the field yet, you should be focusing on learning about the field, making sure it's really what you want to do, and getting the experience hours that most vet schools want to see. Not just for your application but for the simple fact that it's something you need to have any understanding of vet med.

There is a "What Are My Chances" subforum where you can post your full stats if you would like a better idea of what schools might be a good fit for your application as it currently stands. As always I would recommend looking at your cheapest options.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed with the above. All vet schools like "top academic" students. What you need at this point is veterinary experience or else you will not be competitive because you can't show exposure to/experience in the field.

Also curious what prompted this change - that's something you will need to thoroughly discuss in the application process when they see the vast majority of your experience is pre-med. It must have been something massive for you to change to a field where you would make a quarter to a half of what you would make as a physician for the same amount of debt

Reactions: 3 users