What will you contribute to the incoming medical school class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yalla22

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
:oops:
In preparing for interviews, i've come across this question several times. My thoughts are that (a) I'm way too humble to answer this question (seriously, its really hard for me to directly talk about myself like this) - does anyone else have this problem? (b) isn't that the job of the adcoms to figure out?

What do you all think about this question? Have you been asked this?

Members don't see this ad.

haha i am a dead weight, i cannot contribute, j/m i don't know a lot of things, but probably nothing that makes me stand out

#1 answer = contribute to diversity of the class

Members don't see this ad :)
In preparing for interviews, i've come across this question several times. My thoughts are that (a) I'm way too humble to answer this question (seriously, its really hard for me to directly talk about myself like this) - does anyone else have this problem? (b) isn't that the job of the adcoms to figure out?

The only thing I can contribute is me; along with that comes my experiences through X amount of years, my struggles and everything that has made me, me.

well, you can work out the numbers ahead of time (using number of students in last year's class and avg mcat/gpa), and then when this question comes up you can tell them by how much you would have raised last year's average scores if you had been added to the class.

well, you can work out the numbers ahead of time (using number of students in last year's class and avg mcat/gpa), and then when this question comes up you can tell them by how much you would have raised last year's average scores if you had been added to the class.
That's so trollish... LOL

That question sounds suspiciously like the interviewer was asking for a bribe. j/k

Actually it's just them asking you what is unique about you -- what have you done that distinguishes yourself from the other applicants out there. It's the ideal opportunity to sell yourself and your accomplishments. In other words a gimme. Run with it.

YMMV, but I'm beginning to think that adcoms take this question seriously. The first two times I interviewed I smiled and joked with them about this question. I said I'd make a good cook for the class, and I'd bring a sense of humor.

It was an honest answer, but one I'm pretty sure couldv'e been worded better. Last time I interviewed I said I bring maturity and determination. I got in this time.

YMMV, but I'm beginning to think that adcoms take this question seriously. The first two times I interviewed I smiled and joked with them about this question. I said I'd make a good cook for the class, and I'd bring a sense of humor.

It was an honest answer, but one I'm pretty sure couldv'e been worded better. Last time I interviewed I said I bring maturity and determination. I got in this time.

lol some what ironic, hehe but congradulations, can you cook for me?

I have a lot of trouble talking about myself explicitly and "selling" myself. Part of it probably comes from the fact that i've been brought up in a culture where this is just not done..
How can I get over this? esp for a question that necessitates doing this?

One of my friends here used the "good cook" line and got in; like most questions I imagine the "desired" response depends on the interviewer. . . I went on a spiel about how I already had experience "running" patient care scenarios from being an EMT and how that could allow me to bring an experienced perspective to the "clinical practice" courses re: taking histories, communicating effectively with various patient demographics, etc. Not the most uncommon answer ever, but I guess it worked.

Passion for mental health.

I was also raised in a culture where you're taught to leave it to others to sing your praise and also christian principles that forbid you from boasting or bragging.

When the question came up during my first interview, :eek: I essentially BS'ed my way thru it. :oops: I got home mad :mad: at myself but determined to have an answer ready the next time. I eventually convinced myself that stating what I have done or accomplished in a humble, non-pompous way was neither boasting nor trashing the good values I've been taught all my life.

When the same question came up again at my second interview :scared: , I simply drew inspiration from the activities on my AMCAS application and told the interviewer that if accepted, I will be bringing several things to the table including leadership (I'm the vice-president of a student organization), good teamwork mentality (currently, I work in the hospital alongside doctors, nurses and other caregivers), a different and unique perspective (born and raised in a foreign country) and plenty of dedication and hardwork (I work full time and also go to school full-time) ;)

I have a lot of trouble talking about myself explicitly and "selling" myself...How can I get over this?

Try doing what I did: convincing yourself that talking about yourself or your accomplishments in a humble, non-arrogant way is NOT boasting. It is the TRUTH. Then practice saying it before a mirror.
It's not the job of the ADCOMS to figure this out. All they know about your are your grades and activities. It's up to you to expand on your good qualities. And who else can do it better than you? Good luckie icky :luck:

Reactions: 1 user
I have a lot of trouble talking about myself explicitly and "selling" myself. Part of it probably comes from the fact that i've been brought up in a culture where this is just not done..
How can I get over this? esp for a question that necessitates doing this?

that almost seems like it fits with the #1 answer: you'll bring cultural diversity.

keggers every weekend