What would a 61% right (36/59) on the biochem/Bio section translate to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Midom

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a diagnostic and got 36/59 on the biochem section. I am trying to see what would that translate to.. Thanks, and I understand its gonna vary for every test but I just wanted an opinion or a confidence interval or something that can make me understand it more.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say in the 123-125 range for that section. Not bad at all for a diagnostic! Of course, you're right that tests vary significantly. Some diagnostics are much harder than others. I usually tell students not to worry about the score (although it's nice to know where you're at), and rather to gauge what kind of questions you missed (were they straight-up knowledge-based or passage-based? did they relate more to certain topics than others? etc.). If this is the first practice test you've taken, you can improve your score by an incredible amount if you analyze this test, and future ones, in a ton of detail.

Good luck!!

I'd say in the 123-125 range for that section. Not bad at all for a diagnostic! Of course, you're right that tests vary significantly. Some diagnostics are much harder than others. I usually tell students not to worry about the score (although it's nice to know where you're at), and rather to gauge what kind of questions you missed (were they straight-up knowledge-based or passage-based? did they relate more to certain topics than others? etc.). If this is the first practice test you've taken, you can improve your score by an incredible amount if you analyze this test, and future ones, in a ton of detail.

Good luck!!
Where can I find a table that converts raw score to scaled?

Where can I find a table that converts raw score to scaled?
hi @salemstein !

Most companies will give you an estimated scaled score with each practice tests. Each test will have its own raw to scaled score conversion chart and each company will as well. Even the real MCAT will vary in its raw-to-scaled score requirements. That's why you want to analyze each exam for mistakes, errors, and explanations as to WHY you missed the Q, rather than shooting for some magic #.

As for the AAMC, you can find the raw-to-scaled score conversion on their released practice test (it is also discussed on SDN as well). While it won't be fool-proof, each AAMC exam will likely have a scale very similar to this.

Last but not least, there is THIS THREAD and THIS THREAD where people self reported scores on practice tests and the real thing and discussed their performance on exams.

Hope this helps, good luck!