What would you do? How to decide to leave high paying job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

t510

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there
I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I was wondering if you guys have any advice on leaving a high paying job to try to go to medical school at 29?

Should I volunteer? Any advice on what would make the decision easier.
I could also consider volunteering and taking a couple classes until I figure it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If I were in your situation I'd shadow as many doctors as I could find to try to figure out if it's worth it. Clinical volunteering would help, of course, being around patients and other health care professionals would be good for you.

If you decide to go to medical school you should definitely take advantage of your current job and save as much money as you can, not incurring any debt would certainly make medical school more appealing.

Hi there
I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I was wondering if you guys have any advice on leaving a high paying job to try to go to medical school at 29? I haven't taken 1 science course.
It's definitely about a lot more then money. I've always wanted to do medicine. I am really afraid I don't know how hard med school residency will actually be and that I'll be making a big mistake. I do work hard - I read for work about 3-5/hours a day - straight reading.

I could also consider volunteering and taking a couple classes until I figure it out.

ECs aren't just something you should consider, they are things you need to do, ideally first. Consider them a prereq -- schools do. Older premeds are supposed to look before they leap, not just try to do a few hours of shadowing once they've already quit their job and started postbac. Get out there and see if you'll actually like medicine in practice, rather than just the idea of being a doctor. And yes, being a Resident is hard. A lot harder than "straight reading." what you are describing is more of a comparison for the first to years of med school (which is largely classroom and reading based) not residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
When I first started considering a move from a fat career into medicine, I assumed I was the equivalent of an 8 year old girl talking about how cool unicorns are.

Go get some reality before you take yourself seriously. Seriously.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 10 users
dr midlife,

Thanks. I understand how stupid my post sounds, but its tough when you don't know how to proceed. Any way you can give more details about some of the best experiences that made you decide to switch?

I've talked to several physicians. One was telling me about how rough things were when he first started. lawsuits, wanting to leave the city, etc.

I'm probably going to volunteer at hospice. I have a coworker who has been doing it for years.

And it's been tough to find a physician to shadow.

And law2doc, I've heard so many different things on what it is like to actually practice that I'm afraid volunteering won't tell me much. For example, I talked to a radiologist who works out of a condo in switzerland.

Last edited:
I'm further down the line than you seeing that I'm interviewing for med school now. I live comfortably in NYC with a salary in the low 100s with the flexibility to take on more work and increase it. I was a biology major and had extensive experience with medicine. Being a biology major (graduated 10 yrs ago), many of my friends are now attending physicians. The advice ranges from run the usual, medicine is no longer worth it... run away, to, it's basically just a job like any other, to I don't see myself doing anything else.

If I told you leaving hundreds of thousands of dollars to take on debt and work merciless hours is easy, I'd be lying. I question my decision to take that path every day. But, I really want to work on the clinical side of medicine. I agree with others, get some exposure and see if it's for you. I made the decision to go back to school in 2009 (when I joined sdn) and I'm interviewing now. I couldn't justify leaving my job so took the road less traveled. Good luck on your journey, even if you decide against medicine. Quite of a few old posters did.

Go take some science courses at your local CC or SU.

I understand how stupid my post sounds, but its tough when you don't know how to proceed.
Not at all stupid in any way to ask for advice before you dive in. But: be teachable.
Any way you can give more details about some of the best experiences that made you decide to switch?
Getting excited about medicine is the easy part. The hard part is avoiding being overly delusional when under the best of circumstances you're really guessing.
I've talked to several physicians. One was telling me about how rough things were when he first started. lawsuits, wanting to leave the city, etc.
Name a mood or attitude or level of job satisfaction and you can find a pile of doctors who have it. The trick is to find out what is true for you based on flawed information and self-awareness and friends who are actually paying attention and won't lie to you, and honesty about your risk tolerance.

Also, fun fact, a whole lot of physicians have poor perspective on anybody's job but their own, and sometimes not even their own. And the vast majority of docs are active in maybe 5% of the work required to get things done or paid for in a hospital or clinic, so most of what docs say about what's right/wrong in healthcare is myopic and kind of adorable.
I'm probably going to volunteer at hospice. I have a coworker who has been doing it for years.
Sure, do it, but hospice is a wee tiny sliver of the medical pie. Exert yourself to get into a public hospital ED, or free clinic, where you are seeing the patients you'll train on/with. You know nothing about how you like medicine until you're faced with a bunch of patients you'd rather just hate and call it a day. Can you be reasonably sincere in your kindness, and your interest in a positive outcome, for a morbidly obese smoker with a pannus wound that won't heal who is also trying to get IVF pregnant and has no insurance but doc I'm in pain you gotta give me some demerol it's the only thing that works? Gotta go meet your future patients. No other way to find out. And if you can't stand it, that's all you need to know. Even if you want to do teleradiology from New Zealand or whatnot.
And it's been tough to find a physician to shadow.
I got all my shadowing by being a ridiculously energetic volunteer in a public hospital ED who said yes to everything and stayed late and got dirty and held up legs for casting and pushed/washed/retrieved stretchers and rolled bandages, which eventually gave me access to the late night relaxed conversations that the residents have, which gave me names of attendings to shadow, which gave me my shopping list, which got me into clinic offices and a whole lot of ORs. That's how I found out how much I love being in the OR.

If you're willing to fail at your due diligence, then you'll fail.
And law2doc, I've heard so many different things on what it is like to actually practice that I'm afraid volunteering won't tell me much. For example, I talked to a radiologist who works out of a condo in switzerland.
You have no clinical experience, which means you don't know what you need to know, at all.

You have no clinical experience, so volunteering is all you'll be allowed to do.

So volunteer. Or train to be a nursing assistant or similar so you can get paid a little bit to learn about medicine.

Meanwhile, whatever is currently broken about you gets more broken in med school. Everybody's broken. In med school you get broken in some new ways too. If you can't list about 25 things you really need to be better at for you to feel successful, then #1 on your list is "lacks self-awareness". My point is that whatever prevents you from being happy in your current job most likely has very little to do with THE DREAM and MEANINGFUL WORK and REWARDING VOCATION and all that stuff. Most likely your general lack of fulfillment (or whatever) at work is about how hard it is to learn stuff you don't want to learn (stuff like how to productively participate in a badly organized meeting), and grow in ways you don't want to grow (stuff like actually working out instead of talking about working out), and be a pretty darned good person pretty much all the time (stuff like being a good mentor anyway to somebody you don't think is deserving of your time). Everything that sucks out your soul about your current job is what you'll find in medicine. The variables are all in you.

My guess, if your job has you reading ~5 hours a day, is that you'd rather stick an icepick in your ear than have to coordinate meetings or negotiate agreements or talk to the public etc. You don't have to be good at everything to make it through med school and be happy in practice, but you'd better make friends with your limitations and get great at being gracious/grateful to those who don't have the same limitations.

More than anything else, getting good at receiving and learning from negative feedback, and getting people to freely give you that negative feedback, is where you need to be in med school, and my god it's painful to watch somebody learn how to take negative feedback in med school because they didn't learn it before.

Alright, tl;dr: 7+ years of medical training is not a thing to pursue because you think you'll be happier on the other side. Be happy first.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 8 users
I did it. I left a high paying job to complete my science coursework and I'm starting med school this fall. I would definitely recommend volunteering and shadowing to be sure it's right for you. It's not easy to give up the golden handcuffs of a high paying job, but it never gets any easier if you decide to wait. If you find that medicine is your passion, go for it. Dive in headfirst. Figure out your finances, pay off your car or other big expenses - make smart financial decisions now and it'll be easier once you're back in school. I promise you can do it.

Reactions: 1 users
don't do it. it's not worth it.

Thanks again for all the replies.
I have to add that my job right now is very insecure and I've heard it doesn't ever get much better at other employers.

I'm not the type of person that likes to screw people over to get ahead. I'm hoping I won't have that issue in medicine.

See Dr Midlifes longish post above. There will always be convenient excuses as to why you can't or won't do things you really ought to be doing. Sure, you won't get perfect insight into being a doctor in every specialty by volunteering or shadowing. I agree. So what? You'll still have a LOT more insight than you do now. And again, ECs aren't really optional - they should be looked at as prereqs. Especially for nontrads. Look before you leap. The idea of medicine and the practice of medicine aren't the same thing, A nontrad job changer is expected to really do a LOT more due diligence than some pimply 20 year old college kid, who might get away with a few hours transporting patients as a volunteer. So sure, a few hours shadowing on the wards might not give you insight into what it's like being a radiologist working from Switzerland, or wherever you think you'll end up. But it might give you insight into that doctors intern year. And insight into the 98% of other specialties you are far more likely to end up in, as nearly everybody changes their mind once or twice along this road.

FWIW, to make it in this career, you are far better off with a "sure, why not?" attitude than always being the guy finding reasons why doing something just might not be worth it. Don't put up these walls. This was a hard lesson for some of us, but it makes a big difference. Everybody loves the guy who will roll up his sleeves and give it a go. Nobody respects the guy who is constantly coming up with a reason not to do or try something just to make his own life easier.

I have to add that my job right now is very insecure and I've heard it doesn't ever get much better at other employers...

Don't run to medicine to get out of a bad situation. Only go to medicine if there's a draw to medicine. It's absolutely not a good career choice for everyone. You have to really want it and like the job function. If you are mostly looking for a life raft because of a current bad career choice I'd look elsewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you are are contemplating leaving your job for medicine, the only thing you know for sure is that you are not fully satisfied at your current job.

Don't run to medicine to get out of a bad situation. Only go to medicine if there's a draw to medicine. It's absolutely not a good career choice for everyone. You have to really want it and like the job function. If you are mostly looking for a life raft because of a current bad career choice I'd look elsewhere.

I might not have many other choices.

I might not have many other choices.

Um, why...
If you are going into medicine only because you somehow perceive it as your only option, forget it. Medicine is truly not for everyone and I've really not heard a worse reason to choose medicine than this. there are literally thousands of jobs out there and none that are forced down your throat. Find the good fit. Don't just run from one bad situation to what for you seems inevitably likely to be another bad situation.

I will be 30 when I apply to medical school (and 32 when I start), I'm currently working as a data analyst.

1. The most fundamental question you should discover in yourself is whether you find helping others to be deeply satisfying. From what I've seen/witnessed/experienced so far in my pre-med exploration, is that medicine sucks. In all respects. Nothing is good about it, nothing. You get **** on, you are sleep deprived, you are not paid well, and there is no prestige. The only good thing is the warm fuzzy feeling you get inside, knowing that you helped someone who needed you (and then vomited in your face). I discovered this through volunteer work, and being part of support groups, and also years of self-reflection.

2. Can you do the coursework? it's scary. Take a night course in biology, or something. Are you interested in the material? if you're not, can you hunker down and do what it takes to get the A? Post-baccing and medical school will be about 4 years of intense studying! I reluctantly took A&P at night, and did horribly at it, I dropped it. Later, I realized that the courses are mostly a "dance-monkey, DANCE!" formality to weed out those without the motivation. So I tried a second time at my coursework, and have done very well.

3. Can you see yourself doing the clinical work? This is where shadowing would be best. It is hard to setup, I agree. But if you're not entirely committed to your current job, would you consider switching to an 'in-bewteen' position at say - a hospital? I used to work in a consulting firm, but then took a big salary hit to become an analyst in a hospital - I can shadow any one of my colleagues though! so win.

It took me about 2 years I'd say, of small, incrementally committing steps towards medicine. Along the way, I chose the experiences that I thought would enlighten me about my motivations. Initially, I held back - I always had a firm foot in my established career. But I remember when I took the leap - and committed to the pre-med path. I took that leap because I knew the answer to those 3 questions.

I left a couple solid carer tracks when I was just short of your age, turned down a 65k job plus bonuses/company vehicle at a nice place to begin MS1. I had only been at that job a year, as I had left an 75k career track just before that to have flexibility in interviewing. It sucks, it hurts, it hurts to take out loans and know how much nicer it would be to have this or that or the assurance that to some degree, money can buy. You hemorrhage money in medical school, and when you're a responsible adult that knows the value of a dollar, it just sucks.

You need experience, you have to know you will be ok doing what you think you want to do, because the money isn't the biggest thing you need to worry about, it's knowing you like the not at all smooth road you'll travel and the headache and stresses it is.

Good questions, best of luck to you.

I can imagine becoming a top chef--or going against Bobbly Flay on Iron Chef. I am right-brained enough to get into interior design. God knows I love music and have some skills there.
There is a lot of interesting stuff; and for every thing you could think of doing, there will be a tedious side to it. Either that or you could join an industry that squeezes the joy out of what you are doing for the bottom line. Heck that is threat to every profession or occupation pretty much. But I can't see doing any of these things as much as providing PC to kids and adults. Intellectually I'd be even more stimulated by doing CCM-peds in particular, but there is also something that has changed in me that has grown to see the value of providing primary care over time.

Do what you love, and don't let anything kill that love. If where you are working is squeezing the love and joy out, it's time to move on to a different place.

Thanks for the replies.

Anyways, just an update. I'm almost ruling out the idea of a formal post-back due to the cost involved (probably close to 100k). I'm going to start trying volunteering very soon.

Last edited:
I went through similar internal debate, and I felt somewhat relief reading this thread. It is one of the reasons why I appreciate SDN. Having that said, I don’t think you will find your answer from anyone but yourself. However, there are a couple things I learn from others and wish to share, hoping it could help you making your decision. Please take it with a grain of salt.

The usual theoretical rhetoric:

Rarely, if any, does anyone know what they want. Our goals and perspectives in life change at different stages along with every other out-of-your-control external factors. Make a 5-year or 10-year plan in its most general sense, because all specific planning may yield fruitless. Having a controlling personality, I could not make peace with that notion, and was quite miserable.

Conversely, one often can’t excel at everything. There is simply not enough time to be good at everything, but there’s enough time to be good at only a few things. The “10,000 hours to perfection” rule by Malcolm Gladwell is what I hold dear to my heart. To be competent and successful in ANY field requires dedication and focus for a long period of time. Thus, the earlier you’re able to identify what you are passionate about, the sooner you can start building your life around it. Giving up the time already invested in your current job is hard. It is even a tougher choice given that you are doing well.

The practical approach:

I am certain you have run the number, and figured out how much training in medicine could set you back. Sometimes we intentionally overlook how significant that number is, but we choose to focus on the excitement/idea of being a doctor instead. I reran the number a couple times, and tried to have a realistic assessment on an adjusted life style to see if I would be ok with it.

Definitely, as many had suggested, get involved in volunteering or shadowing before making the switch. If I bought my house after exhausted all research, I can’t imagine anyone would take career choice lighter than buying a house and relax on due diligence.

Make sure you have good supporting cast. If you are married or have children, it’s important that your spouse is on board. Needless to say, your decision affects their lives immediately.

Interviewer: So T510, what made you interested?
T510: Well, I thought I didn't have any other options since my job sucked.

I have to add that my job right now is very insecure and I've heard it doesn't ever get much better at other employers.

I'm not the type of person that likes to screw people over to get ahead. I'm hoping I won't have that issue in medicine.

Medicine has job security, yes. But only after you make it through a decade or more of med school and residency. And even then, it's not all roses. But until that time you are at the bottom of the totem pole and have no choice but to take the **** that rolls downhill towards you because if you complain, you're gone. By that time you could be running your own 8 figure revenue medium sized business if you applied yourself. You gotta ask yourself, are you willing to trade away all the opportunities in your current career which you've spent the past decade cultivating at the cost of indentured servitude for another decade only so you can essentially "lock-in" the income level you are currently making? Is the job security really that big of a problem for you? Seriously, think about this.

You're right, volunteering won't do much for you if you are spending 3 hours a week in an ED asking patients if they want a soda or a blanket while thinking in the back of your mind that the ED docs there working 14 hours in a row exposing themselves to all sorts of occupational hazards without time to eat are somehow a fluke and that won't happen to you because for some odd reason they chose not to teleread for a few hours a day from Switzerland where they only have to suffer doing actual work for a few hours a day and can make 100 grand a month and ski the rest of the time in the alps. Excuse the cynicism but there are some major red flags in what you are writing. The ideas that you seem to have about what medical training entails and what a medical career will mean for your life are, well, fantastic in the literal sense of the word.

Last edited:

But, but, but, didn't you know there is no way you can possibly make more than $100k/year unless you are some type of doctor? The government says so!
http://www.bls.gov/ooh/highest-paying.htm

CNN too! http://money.cnn.com/gallery/pf/2015/01/27/top-paying-jobs-2015/

The sad thing is, I knew people in medical school who literally chose it because they googled highest paying careers. No ****, somebody admitted this to me.

I'm currently a 37 year-old OMS-1. Here's what I did to make the jump.

I had a well-paying job as a medic. I was working for a municipal service with yearly raises, civil service job security, direct deposit, retirement, full insurance, etc. I knew I wanted to continue in medicine, so that was a no-brainer. Like many other posters, I would recommend getting some clinical experience, whether it be CNA, EMT, etc. (It will help you make sure medicine is for you. You WILL be asked at every interview: Why medicine?) Volunteering doesn't hurt, either.

These 2 kinda run together: Get your financial house in order and education. You have to be sure you can pay your day-to-day bills and have time to devote to coursework, MCAT Prep, etc. If you've been out of school for a while, take a couple of classes at a Community College to get back in the school mindset, before transferring to a 4-year college to finish (I wish I had stayed another year at CC, it would have helped immensely with the basics). Most of my full time study, I worked 48 hour shifts every Saturday/Sunday with a rural service, went to school 5 days a week and did an MCAT course 2 nights a week, Or, I strung together GI Bill and 3 part-time jobs. Put as much cash away as you can-you will need it for when you get to application and interview season. Look at your monthly bills vs. the Financial Aid budget at the schools you are interested in, make sure you can have enough money to live on (you will not be able to work to bring any extra in). I traded my car in for one with better gas mileage, cheaper insurance, cheaper maintenance, and a better repair record. If you wind up at a more rural school, the last thing you need to have to deal with is having to have a vehicle towed several hours away to a shop that can fix it.

It may sound simple, but put together a pro/con list. I did one for current job/med school and one for MD/DO vs. PA. It will help to clarify your motivations.

After you pull the trigger and make the decision med school is right for you, it's going to be an ultra-marathon, but it goes by quickly. I hope this helps to clarify some things, PM me if I can answer any more for you.

It's nice to see and hear other ppples motivation and decisions for leaving a comfy job in order to pursue med school. But even for people who do their due diligence before making the switch, it is STILL a big wake up call as your going through it. This is the case for me. Its a very challenging life adjustment for sure, and it leaves me in doubt more times than I'd like to admit. This process definitely needs to be made for the right reasons and from the heart. Otherwise, it will end in failure.

Hi there
I know I've been posting a lot lately, but I was wondering if you guys have any advice on leaving a high paying job to try to go to medical school at 29?

I left a job I was making $35 an hour (I currently make $24 with far less hours) at with high job security and fairly easy work in relation to pay (with an associate degree mind you). Age 23 but I feel it's worth it. If you never try you'll never know. That is far worse than a job. You can always find another one.

Also, the biggest thing for me was I realized I was far more intelligent than my co-workers and I felt very unsatisfied at work, while I enjoy what I did(still doing), I realized there is no way I could do this forever. I was into the Wall Street Journal, my cohorts read the local rag and gossip sections.... I pushed myself farther at work, my coworkers did the bare minimum.... I found patients with cancer (amazing what some subjective thinking on a differential will get you) who had gone undiagnosed and put a stop to it (bad labs are due to bad techs people or many times non-techs doing lab work), so forth.

I constantly felt I could do far more. That wasn't a situation I could live with no matter how comfortable life was.

But maybe you can, if your only reason is financial don't do it.

It's nice to see and hear other ppples motivation and decisions for leaving a comfy job in order to pursue med school. But even for people who do their due diligence before making the switch, it is STILL a big wake up call as your going through it. This is the case for me. Its a very challenging life adjustment for sure, and it leaves me in doubt more times than I'd like to admit. This process definitely needs to be made for the right reasons and from the heart. Otherwise, it will end in failure.

At this point another year is just another year. Consider saving some cash up for a year and taking 1 course a semester at your local university (or college if need be, though the environment is very different). This will get you some easy A's and give you a taste of what you're in for. Can't blame a man for making an informed decision.

FWIW, to make it in this career, you are far better off with a "sure, why not?" attitude than always being the guy finding reasons why doing something just might not be worth it. Don't put up these walls. This was a hard lesson for some of us, but it makes a big difference. Everybody loves the guy who will roll up his sleeves and give it a go. Nobody respects the guy who is constantly coming up with a reason not to do or try something just to make his own life easier.

That's me in 3 words :thumbup:. Some of my friends would also prefer: Careless, brash, bold. :laugh:

Not sure how one can live life stressed out to the max though.

Last edited:
OP:

Viability: I didn't see anything about family or a partner, kids, necessity to stay in a given place, etc. IF you don't have (much) undergrad debt, and are entirely mobile, I would certainly consider medicine viable. To jump through all the hoops required from start to finish you may not have much choice about where you go. If you have a family in tow, or a partner who loves their job, parents you need to be around for, etc this may be a real issue. I'm not someone who believes that it would be worth it 'at all costs' to become a physician; if you believe that, you likely have the career as a physician on a pedestal which will disappoint. There are other ways to get involved in healthcare without the sacrifices in time/money/geography.

Motivation: Why medicine? Something must have triggered the idea. One benefit of being a non-trad is experience outside of medicine, and a better understanding that every job sucks at one point or another... What is your career lacking that medicine, and specifically being a physician, has instead? You'll need to articulate this very well to get admission anywhere. Volunteering and shadowing are good (and necessary for your application), but really... it's a commitment you make with blinders on.

Somewhere along the way you will hate the decision you've made, but 4/4 physicians I've spoken with have been supportive of the field and the opportunities to have a fulfilling career. They also said not to go into it for money (in case you haven't heard that one).

Last edited: