What would you guys do?

CMoodie91

Mitosis: Results May Vary
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
----

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honors doesn't have any weight on admissions at medical school so it would depend on what each honors course brings to the table i.e. research opportunities, volunteering, etc,
Just be aware that 75% of med students change the specialty they plan on going into by M4.
You haven't mentioned cost yet so im going to assume either you can afford all of them or that they will all cost the same to you.
Good luck
-Apps

Honors doesn't have any weight on admissions at medical school so it would depend on what each honors course brings to the table i.e. research opportunities, volunteering, etc,
Just be aware that 75% of med students change the specialty they plan on going into by M4.
You haven't mentioned cost yet so im going to assume either you can afford all of them or that they will all cost the same to you.
Good luck
-Apps

Really eh? Well that changes things.

Do you the Physics background would give me a better foundation for the technology side of Radiology (If I stay on that track?). Or would I just be getting into a program that hurts my gpa that wouldn't necessarily assist me substantially?

Thanks Apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you truly enjoy physics then you can go that path. In my opinion, your top priority in college is to thoroughly prepare yourself for the MCAT by working hard in the pre med courses (this includes physics) while making stellar grades in something you enjoy and are passionate about. Don't get hung up on a specialty, you probably haven't been exposed to all of them. I would make that decision much later down the road if I were you.

The goal of an undergraduate college education is to provide you with a broad-based education and life skills.

Although that education may be beneficial for careers which only require a four year degree, For those going to medical school it is simply a foundation. That is why the major you select has no bearing at all on medical school admissions or choice of future residency training.

Thus you should major in physics only if you find it fascinating but not because you think it will help you at all in a future potential career as a radiologist. Your training as a radiologist will come during residency, not before.

Whichever is cheaper.

If you are interested in hard-core radiology physics research, that would be the only possible reason why I would say that a serious physics education might help you. However, most radiology research would not require that. Plus, if you were that serious you would probably need some level of graduate physics education as well to really be able to step into that immediately as a resident, because believe it or not medical physicist (non-MD) is a real career.

http://www.aapm.org/medical_physicist/fields.asp

Carleton is expensive.

Ottawa is in the middle of nowhere and has around 600 students.

I would go public, but if I had a choice from the two, Carleton.

I repeat again, go public.

Really eh? Well that changes things.

Do you the Physics background would give me a better foundation for the technology side of Radiology (If I stay on that track?). Or would I just be getting into a program that hurts my gpa that wouldn't necessarily assist me substantially?

Thanks Apps.

Nonono. The physics you are learning in an undergrad will be a disappointment if you think it will support your learning in residency (you won't learn any of the advanced radiology stuff until residency anyway).

Rads and Radsonc go off of medical physics which is a completely different and far more advanced field. You won't get a taste of that until much later.

I wouldn't waste my time going with a physics major unless it's something you enjoy, but again follow what the above poster said. Carleton is expensive, and hard to get into.

Hope it helps. :)

You guys would choose Carleton over Ottawa U for a Science Degree? :confused:

I was looking at Dalhousie and they were saying that like when Pre-Meds have a diverse range of undergrad degree's such as; Social Sciences and Humanities.

Would you guys consider Health Science to be related to Social Sciences and Humanities?

This process can be so confused, ahh.

You guys would choose Carleton over Ottawa U for a Science Degree? :confused:

I was looking at Dalhousie and they were saying that like when Pre-Meds have a diverse range of undergrad degree's such as; Social Sciences and Humanities.

Would you guys consider Health Science to be related to Social Sciences and Humanities?

This process can be so confused, ahh.

I think you're forgetting that you have 4 years in medical school to learn about medicine and how to treat patients. Spend your 4 years in undergrad doing something you love, not preparing you for something four years down the road you hope to do. Go crazy with any major you want. It's more important to get great grades and ECs then have a beautiful premed major with a mediocre GPA.

Spend college as a fun time. You have medical school and residency to bunker down and learn. :)

That being said, Health Science is not related to social science. In my experience, the health science majors are to prepare you for allied health professionals (so medical technician, LPN, Patient care tech, maybe nursing, respiratory therapist). So it'll give you basic concepts but not really a whole lot to transfer over to medical school.

Social Studies and Humanities would be more like history, economics, psychology, sociology, etc. Think like "soft sciences".

Hope this helps.

Which ever has the most girls.

Which ever has the most girls.
fosho_4.jpeg

I think you're forgetting that you have 4 years in medical school to learn about medicine and how to treat patients. Spend your 4 years in undergrad doing something you love, not preparing you for something four years down the road you hope to do. Go crazy with any major you want. It's more important to get great grades and ECs then have a beautiful premed major with a mediocre GPA.

Spend college as a fun time. You have medical school and residency to bunker down and learn. :)

That being said, Health Science is not related to social science. In my experience, the health science majors are to prepare you for allied health professionals (so medical technician, LPN, Patient care tech, maybe nursing, respiratory therapist). So it'll give you basic concepts but not really a whole lot to transfer over to medical school.

Social Studies and Humanities would be more like history, economics, psychology, sociology, etc. Think like "soft sciences".

Hope this helps.

Interesting, thanks for the info. I am having trouble finding in depth explanations of the course.

Cheers. :thumbup: