what would you name your private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tony.

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its a little pre-mature of me right now b/c i havent even STARTED optometry school. But! I often wonder if I do eventually have my own private optometric practice, what I'd name it.
I'd like to start a thread of what people think they might name their practice.

I'll begin.

(my last name is 'Mor' by the way so I also have a slogan for that)

MOR-VISION
...wouldn't you rather see Mor....

is that clever or what? :p

what would YOU name your private practice?

Members don't see this ad.

one more thing,
are there any laws/regulations to trademarking/branding your practice? so that others cant use it?

My father and I are in the process of naming his practice. It has always been just under his name. We are think about "Northshore Eye Care." The office is located on the northshore of a lake.

My father told me that we can not use the work clinic in the name because we are OD and not MDs or DOs. I'm not sure about this because I saw a DPM with the word clinic on his office. Does anyone know how this works?

Members don't see this ad :)
rpames said:
My father and I are in the process of naming his practice. It has always been just under his name. We are think about "Northshore Eye Care." The office is located on the northshore of a lake.

My father told me that we can not use the work clinic in the name because we are OD and not MDs or DOs. I'm not sure about this because I saw a DPM with the word clinic on his office. Does anyone know how this works?

are you sure you cant use the word 'clinic' ?
i dont see why not! ...in opt. school, we'll all be in 'clinicals' won't we?

No, I'm not sure about this, that is why I said, "I'm not sure about this..."
:laugh:

I thought it would be cool to go into a practice with a dentist and audiologist. We'd call our practice "Just Heads".

Hehehehehehehehe. :laugh:

(Actually, I know an OD who plans to go into business with a dentist -- they'll be able to split the cost of office space and management, and will be able to do cross-referrals. He didn't think "Just Heads" was a good name, though. :rolleyes: )

There are some state regulations to what you can name your practice. Here in WA if the practice is not directly named after the OD (i.e. John Doe, O.D. and Associates) it must contain the words vision (or eye care) centre (or clinic). So you might want to look into that before getting too excited about any great name you come up with! :)

xmattODx said:
There are some state regulations to what you can name your practice. Here in WA if the practice is not directly named after the OD (i.e. John Doe, O.D. and Associates) it must contain the words vision (or eye care) centre (or clinic). So you might want to look into that before getting too excited about any great name you come up with! :)

I think many people dont know too much about state regulations thats why many choose boring practice names....
i.e:
Visionworks (this is a chain in Colorado)
20/20 Vision (private practice)
Total Eye Care (private)
Specsavers (a chain)
last name of OD Eye Associates

etc.
Im sure that if naming your company became a problem, we'd have classes about it. obviously its not a problem between people so doctors name their practices as they please and ignore regulations

This may be a vain thing to say, but I always fear that by naming the practice something other than your name, your patients won't really know who the doctor is. I know this may not sound like a big deal, but so often I talk to people who go to chains and they say, "I go to Lenscrafters." They never say, "I go to Dr. Smith." This probably won't happen as much if the practice is not a chain, but I don't know.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

there's a small chain here in CA called: Site for Sore Eyes. (I always liked that )

r_salis said:
Not "Sight for Sore Eyes"? ;)

haha! there are so many cheezy things out there.
I once heard on the radio of this optometric practice saying...'WHERE IN HERE, THERE IS MORE THAN MEETS THE EYE..'

give me a break !!! :sleep: very original.....
there should be laws for stupid slogans

since i'm a pre-optometry student and my roommate is pre-dentistry, we were joking about joining our practices into the "Face Place."

I always said joining forces with a dentist would be a great idea...you could advertise, "Whole face in 60 minutes!"

but then you'd have to get an ENT and in there too... so you could do Eyes, Teeth, Ears and Nose too !! :D

From a strictly business viewpoint (I'm a faculty member in marketing at a local college), note the following:

1. A practice name is a brand. We call it brand identity, brand management.
2. Selecting your name has benefits. It identifies you.
3 Fictitious names that contain geographic information conveys the location of your office and its coverage.
4. Services within a name like "Contact Lens Clinic" convey the said service.
5. A fictitious name may have better brand equity because it can be transferred to another party much easier than a private practice name aligned with the prior practitioner.

Etc if desired.
Richard

rpames said:
I always said joining forces with a dentist would be a great idea...you could advertise, "Whole face in 60 minutes!"

I love it!! :laugh:

it makes sense though...
after you get your eye exam, you pick out a pair of glasses; and while you wait for your glasses to be made, you can get seen by the dentist....
brilliant !! :thumbup: