What would you pick?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Imagine that you are located in a country that offered you both ortho and endo right after school, which one would you pick? Why?

Also, which one of these two requires less work?

Personally i've seen an orthodontist work and it seemed more interesting but i'd like to hear opinions from other students here

Members don't see this ad.

I would pick ortho. Why? I like the line of work, I always enjoyed my orthodontist and his work, and he seemed to have a pretty good lifestyle as well. Endo interests me, but not as much, I don't know near enough of the actual line of work to make an educated opinion though.

I would go on a limb and say endo is more work than ortho, but I could be out of line on this one. Procedures for endo just seem more involved to me.

Endo, easily.

-Low overhead. You can get by with one front desk and one assistant. In ortho, you'l need a front desk, several assistants, and usually orthos have a case presenter/patient care coordinator.

-High production. Each procedure is at least $1,000. The endodontists I have shadowed can knock out molar endo in less than an hour. That means $1,000 per hour in production. Let's call it $800 just to be on the practical side. Working 32 hours per week, 48 weeks a year, at %50 overhead, that's $614,400.
Orthodontists are only paid for case starts, not for adjustments, which take up 99% of chair time.

-Hands-on. Most orthos hire assistants to place brackets, etc. While I get that some people prefer the treatment planning position, I would rather use my hands and spend all of my time in the operatory.

-Relief. Once the patient gets that RCT, they are instantly relieved of the unbearable pain they experienced beforehand. Relieving pain is a huge deal to a patient.

-Competition. There are A LOT of people going into ortho, and even more general dentists starting to do ortho. It is very easy to do Invisalign and 6 Month Smiles as a general dentist. This appeals to a lot of patients. However, not as many dentists are willing to spend 2 hours doing molar endo. Especially retreats.

Now, just to talk up the other side before people start calling me out.
-Most ortho patients will be more affluent, willing to pay cash for an "aesthetic" treatment. And since almost everyone is getting ortho nowadays, parents don't want their kids to be left out, so they will put up the money.
-Relationships with patients. You'll see the same families for 2 or so years. They'll talk about you with their family, you'll become a big part of their life.

For me, endo wins. I am more interested in it too. However, that doesn't mean I won't be using Invisalign or basic ortho as a general dentist.

Endo, easily.

-Low overhead. You can get by with one front desk and one assistant. In ortho, you'l need a front desk, several assistants, and usually orthos have a case presenter/patient care coordinator.

-High production. Each procedure is at least $1,000. The endodontists I have shadowed can knock out molar endo in less than an hour. That means $1,000 per hour in production. Let's call it $800 just to be on the practical side. Working 32 hours per week, 48 weeks a year, at %50 overhead, that's $614,400.
Orthodontists are only paid for case starts, not for adjustments, which take up 99% of chair time.

-Hands-on. Most orthos hire assistants to place brackets, etc. While I get that some people prefer the treatment planning position, I would rather use my hands and spend all of my time in the operatory.

-Relief. Once the patient gets that RCT, they are instantly relieved of the unbearable pain they experienced beforehand. Relieving pain is a huge deal to a patient.

-Competition. There are A LOT of people going into ortho, and even more general dentists starting to do ortho. It is very easy to do Invisalign and 6 Month Smiles as a general dentist. This appeals to a lot of patients. However, not as many dentists are willing to spend 2 hours doing molar endo. Especially retreats.

Now, just to talk up the other side before people start calling me out.
-Most ortho patients will be more affluent, willing to pay cash for an "aesthetic" treatment. And since almost everyone is getting ortho nowadays, parents don't want their kids to be left out, so they will put up the money.
-Relationships with patients. You'll see the same families for 2 or so years. They'll talk about you with their family, you'll become a big part of their life.

For me, endo wins. I am more interested in it too. However, that doesn't mean I won't be using Invisalign or basic ortho as a general dentist.

Interesting take on Endo, its good to see it from someone's else perspective.