What year in college should I take my prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dee Angela

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, so I read that medical schools don't like it when you take your prerequisite classes in a community college so if I go to a community college I would want to take these classes when I transfer to the four year university. But will I be able to take all of them that time? I would already be a junior? And don't you apply for med school your junior year? Please let me know thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

That is not true at all. Med schools dont look down at JC classes. If you start at a JC: skip the worthless AA/AS and do the prereqs to transfer. That way youll end up at at a university with a lot of the med school prereqs already done. Focus on UL bio classes at university (biochem, genetics, cell bio, etc).

That is not true at all. Med schools dont look down at JC classes. If you start at a JC: skip the worthless AA/AS and do the prereqs to transfer. That way youll end up at at a university with a lot of the med school prereqs already done. Focus on UL bio classes at university (biochem, genetics, cell bio, etc).

Actually, I've read that med schools don't like when students do that because they're taking their prerequisite classes at a community college, which means the classes would be easier there.

Members don't see this ad :)

Also, if you're recommending to take thrthe UL classes at university, then which classes should I take at JC?

This is not true. It varies from school to school, and it's not easy to take all the pre-reqs in a two year time from in a CC anyway.

Here's a sample map:

Year 1: Bio
Year 2: Chem
Year 3: Orgo
Year 4: Physics

You can also do this (which is what I did...but I was pre-med for all of about 10 mins)

Year I: Bio and Chem
Year II: Orgo
III: Physics

You apply to med school when you have the best possible app.

Okay, so I read that medical schools don't like it when you take your prerequisite classes in a community college so if I go to a community college I would want to take these classes when I transfer to the four year university. But will I be able to take all of them that time? I would already be a junior? And don't you apply for med school your junior year? Please let me know thank you :)

Or you can do what my school actually requires for first year BSc students:
Bio+chem+phys+calc in year 1
Orgo l/ll+physio in year 2
Bchm in year 3
however I realize now that the US has less strict course requirements than Canada for most degrees....its nice to get them done quick though!

...and this is a reapplicant issue how?

Just do them whenever and wherever you can.

If you struggle with math and science, do it at a community college.