What's a light course load?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many units would you consider a light course load?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Anything less than being a full-time student.

The lower range of whatever your school defines as 'full time'. AKA my research credit + two classes last quarter.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd consider 15 credits or less as "light"

Reactions: 1 user
2 real classes + filler = 12 credits

There is a difference between light and non existant.

12 credits with 2 science classes and 2 gen eds.

That is a light load.

Dang, I've had two very light semesters, one 12 credit, and the other 8 credits. Most of the other semesters have been 14-15. Will that hurt me?

Dang, I've had two very light semesters, one 12 credit, and the other 8 credits. Most of the other semesters have been 14-15. Will that hurt me?

Probably not as long as you do well. Some semesters can also be deceptive. I'm not taking that many hours right now but one of them is a lab that meets for 8 hours a week (2hrs lecture, 6 hours lab project) + whatever time it takes me to write the reports (too much). God I hate teaching labs.

I took 13 credits this semester but they were all upper level courses. would that be considered light because of credits or okay because of the courses taken?

Any online course since you have no textbook weight ;)

Light is really relative as some schools give 2-3 credits for a lab that is comparable to a 1 hour lab at another institution. It can also be dependent heavily on your professors. Generally however, if you are taking the minimum credits required to be a full-time student, then it would be considered "light".