What's considered a low GPA / class ranking that needs to be explained in PS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Destiny11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's considered a low GPA / class ranking that needs to be explained in personal statement for residency programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think there's a set GPA/class ranking... If you believe you've had some hurdles or setbacks in dental school, I would bring them up in your personal statement or PASS application (space where you write a small paragraph). As long as you can talk about learning from your mistakes and growing as an individual, I think it'd be noteworthy to put in your essay. Residency programs love hearing about growing and maturing as an individual.

I don't think there's a set GPA/class ranking... If you believe you've had some hurdles or setbacks in dental school, I would bring them up in your personal statement or PASS application (space where you write a small paragraph). As long as you can talk about learning from your mistakes and growing as an individual, I think it'd be noteworthy to put in your essay. Residency programs love hearing about growing and maturing as an individual.

Last edited:
What about if you have a 3.6 and still ranked in the bottom half of the class?

Your rank is more important than your GPA. It sounds like there is some grade inflation at your school.