What's considered applying late

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

woltej1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So MD is my primary option. I have a fairly strong app but nothing is a guarantee. I'm going to be applying early next cycle, but is it considered too late if I wait until I hear back from allopathy schools before submitting my ACOMAS, which would be like late fall early winter I'm guessing.

Members don't see this ad.

So MD is my primary option. I have a fairly strong app but nothing is a guarantee. I'm going to be applying early next cycle, but is it considered too late if I wait until I hear back from allopathy schools before submitting my ACOMAS, which would be like late fall early winter I'm guessing.

Why not just apply at the same time? AMCAS and AACOMAS isn't that differen't

Money wise there's a huge difference. Why waste hundreds of dollars on AACOMAS if waiting to hear word from MD schools isn't that much of a disadvantage?

Members don't see this ad :)
But you just said allopathic schools, as in plural. You have already applied to more than one school. If you apply to even more schools, you have a greater chance of being accepted to at least one place. AACOMAS easily lets you apply to many more schools, so I used it.

Money wise there's a huge difference. Why waste hundreds of dollars on AACOMAS if waiting to hear word from MD schools isn't that much of a disadvantage?

Money isn't wasted if you get an acceptance. And yes, if you wait to hear back from MD schools before applying to DO schools, it will be too late. Most people are still in queue waiting to hear back from schools (both MD and DO) about interviews, let alone acceptance/rejections. Waiting until October or later before applying DO is what will be a waste of money.

Money isn't wasted if you get an acceptance. And yes, if you wait to hear back from MD schools before applying to DO schools, it will be too late. Most people are still in queue waiting to hear back from schools (both MD and DO) about interviews, let alone acceptance/rejections. Waiting until October or later before applying DO is what will be a waste of money.

Not necessarily true. If you have MD stats you will still get into a DO even if you submit your primary in October. I have a 3.3/33 and I haven't submitted my secondaries yet (secondary emails just came through) and I am not worried at all.

Not necessarily true. If you have MD stats you will still get into a DO even if you submit your primary in October. I have a 3.3/33 and I haven't submitted my secondaries yet (secondary emails just came through) and I am not worried at all.

You MAY still get into a DO program, but there are many factors working against applicants by that point in the cycle.

If you opt for DO as a Plan B, why not maximize your chances by shelling out a few hundred bucks and apply earlier? You can practically copy/paste your AMCAS application into AACOMAS.

But hey, it's your money. Go hog wild!

You MAY still get into a DO program, but there are many factors working against applicants by that point in the cycle.

If you opt for DO as a Plan B, why not maximize your chances by shelling out a few hundred bucks and apply earlier? You can practically copy/paste your AMCAS application into AACOMAS.

But hey, it's your money. Go hog wild!

The application cycle is a lot longer for DO schools than MD schools. It really won't make a huge difference if somebody with higher than average state is complete in August or in November. I applied to 9 schools and I'd be surprised if I don't get offered an interview by all of them. I do have 2 years in Peace Corps though.

Your MCAT is certainly high for DO, but your GPA is fairly average. With great ECs you'll probably get a few interview invites, but assuming you'll get one from every school you applied to is a tad arrogant.

Best of luck to you though.

I'd be careful if I were you. While your MCAT is above average your GPA doesn't make you a shoe in. Talking to people at interviews here of late it sounds as if the interview invites going out have slowed down significantly in comparison to when I was complete in August.

I think it's just getting much more competitive and what seemed like a sure thing before isn't necessarily the case anymore.

Lower GPA applicants are having trouble this year it seems too. I know a fair amount of 3.3/30 ones getting rejected from schools who average 3.5/26