What's going on!!!??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brah of Science

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody!!

I've been lurking for a little while but finally decided to become part of this community. I do have some questions myself though!

1.) I just entered my last year of undergrad, but my course load is stacked with science courses. I have taken one calculus class but was looking to take the full year. I was wondering if taking it at a CC after I graduate would be looked down upon(for my gap year)?

2.) This brings me to my next question. I feel utterly behind compared to some people and I am not confident to apply in 2015. My MCAT is in January and I feel like I need to strengthen my app. Would having two years off in between undergrad and med school(hopefully) be a good idea? I'm not really too interested in a masters as I do research already.

Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Some med schools look down upon CC coursework, period, others will not accept pre-reqs from them, and others have no problem with any CC course work. MSAR Online tells you who accepts what...there's no rhyme nor reason to it.

1.) I just entered my last year of undergrad, but my course load is stacked with science courses. I have taken one calculus class but was looking to take the full year. I was wondering if taking it at a CC after I graduate would be looked down upon(for my gap year)?

The only person you should be comparing yourself to is yourself. But as a yardstick, the median GPA for MD school acceptees is 3.6, and about 3.3-3.4 for DO schools. For MCAT it's 31 for MD and high 20s for DO. If you have no significant ECs, then yes, a gap year will be a good idea.

2.) This brings me to my next question. I feel utterly behind compared to some people and I am not confident to apply in 2015. My MCAT is in January and I feel like I need to strengthen my app. Would having two years off in between undergrad and med school(hopefully) be a good idea? I'm not really too interested in a masters as I do research already.