what's it like being a school psychologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychgirl05

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a master's program in school psychology with a pps credential and I was curious if anyone here is in such a program? Can anyone recommend schools in california that have "good" school psychology programs? and to anyone currently (or a graduate of) a school psych program...where do you go and what's the program like? specifically, what did you do during field work/internship? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I want to be in a program next year myself. I have only talked to a couple of students in PhD programs and they were mainly busy doing papers and research, hoping to see the light at the end of the tunnel soon.
My mother met a school psychologist who went through a program in CT and she said she was surprised how much more testing there was vs talking/counseling once she started. She worked at a suburban high school and although she liked it, was very busy with testing. She said to tell me no matter what they say, it always seems to be that way, so know it going in.

....she said she was surprised how much more testing there was vs talking/counseling once she started. She worked at a suburban high school and although she liked it, was very busy with testing. She said to tell me no matter what they say, it always seems to be that way, so know it going in.

Assessment is going to be the majority of the work for a majority of the time. Talking/Counseling is typically handled by other staff members or is referred out.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the links for the blogs!! very fun/helpful reading!

Yes, that was interesting although some school psychologists might do something very different. I tutored at a school where they said the psychologist was only there 2 days a week and had to go to another school other days in the area. That can be taxing but it saves money!