What's it like for NT students in vet school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gemgrrrl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an NT student that will matriculate in August. I'm interested in hearing from other current and former NT's. Did you leave an SO and/or kids behind while in vet school? How did that work out? What was it like being so much older than your classmates? What was the best/worst thing about attending as a NT? Now that you've done it, is there any "if I knew then.." advice you would give your former self?

For the traditional students reading this - what are your thoughts on having NT classmates? Are there things that would concern you about it? Is it something you'd rather not deal with?

Members don't see this ad.

From a soon to be traditional student viewpoint: I don't foresee any issues with having non traditional classmates. I can't even think off of the top of my head any reason why there would be issues. There were non-trads in my undergrad classes and it was never a problem. It was actually very useful in my writing classes in particular to have a different perspective during workshops. I imagine that would apply to vet school too - there's a reason why schools aim for diversity :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm an NT student that will matriculate in August. I'm interested in hearing from other current and former NT's. Did you leave an SO and/or kids behind while in vet school? How did that work out? What was it like being so much older than your classmates? What was the best/worst thing about attending as a NT? Now that you've done it, is there any "if I knew then.." advice you would give your former self?

For the traditional students reading this - what are your thoughts on having NT classmates? Are there things that would concern you about it? Is it something you'd rather not deal with?
traditional student, as long as you have a decent personality, i dont care ;) we had a miserable 50yo (who actually quit during clinics) who should never have been allowed to stay in school. she was combative with everyone, rude towards professors, angry at everyone, blamed everyone and everything else, gosh i could go on and on...actually, i had a med school roommate who was 40 and had many of these traits. i believe she failed out :-/

i think you will be just fine :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't know what NT meant at first.

Darn abbreviations... I am too old for them... :rage:

I am a traditional applicant... I don't have any issues with non-traditional students in the class. Actually, I get along with most of them really well, if not better. I don't know what extra I would have to "deal with" from a non-traditional vs. a traditional student? Maybe you have some insight as to what someone wouldn't want to "deal with"?? People are people... you either get along or don't, has nothing to do with their traditional/non-traditional status.

I can say, if you have a previous degree in something else... law school, PhD, nursing, etc... don't flaunt it around. And don't be an asshat about what you have to say on a topic that involves your previous degree. I almost wanted to smack the one person in our class from how he stated to an instructor that he is a lawyer and she is just a vet... I mean, there is a way to state your opinion on an area you are knowledgeable in without being a jerk. (Don't know if this even applies to you, but figured I would make it a point.)

@Gemgrrrl I'm not really worried about being a NT with traditional students, but I am super nervous about being separated from my husband and daughter. I keep thinking about how I am going to miss 4 years of my daughter's childhood to pursue this dream of mine.

I love how the traditional students are replying. So many funnies. (Just messing with you guys, @jmo1012 and @WildZoo )

I only applied locally because of an SO and kids. I made the concession that if I wanted to go to vet school, it had to be without upsetting their apple cart, so either I got in here in MN or I didn't go to vet school. Otherwise, as much as I *LOVE* UMN, I think I probably would have considered someplace cheaper, like our wonderful neighbor Wisconsin, where OOS tuition is cheaper than MN's IS tuition. (Hint, hint UMN.) I do know of a girl in our class from CA who left behind her hubby to come here. And a girl in the class before whose husband lived elsewhere while she was in vet school. It was hard for both of them to be apart from their spouses, just like you'd expect. That said, they both made it work. Neither had kids, though.

Being older than my classmates .... meh. I get constantly teased about my age. So much that I've just learned to roll with it and I throw my own age comments out pre-emptively. But mentally I'm probably even younger than @WildZoo so it all works out. It actually has advantages once you get to clinics: clients don't have any hesitation working with and trusting me, whereas some clients are less comfortable with younger types. But that's not a big deal.

Best thing about being NT? I dunno. I can't think of much. I'm pretty grateful every day for the chance to do something different in life. But I'm not sure there's really anything about being a NT that is 'best'? At least, nothing pops to mind.

Worst thing about being NT? I'm really NT (i.e. old). People laugh and roll their eyes at me, but my brain just doesn't work as well as the kids (i.e. 20-somethings) in my class. These punks learn so damned fast. They remember everything. They make connections super quick. Give them a set of clinical signs and they'll spew out twenty or thirty differentials while I'm still sitting there thinking "ummmmm..... cancer?" I just can't think as fast as they can and I can't master skills as fast as people who started at the same level I did. I'm really happy with where I'm at, and I bring a lot of other strengths to the game, but I won't lie: I'm not as sharp as most of my classmates and there are days it really frustrates me.

Now that I've done it, what advice would I give? Hm. Consider the money angle carefully. But otherwise ... I don't have regrets. I like what I'm doing. I love dealing with clients - the great clients are great, and the stupid clients .... they give you something to laugh and vent and roll your eyes about.

For the record, I'm a little tired of the 'NT' term. It's gotten wayyyyyyyyyyy too watered down. You hear people calling themselves NT because they took one year off between high school and college. Meh. Whatever. I personally view 'NT' as more significant. Like going back to vet school 5-6 years after college. Or taking off 5-6 years between high-school/college. A real honest-to-god gap, not some "technically I'm NT" kinda thing. Just me.

G'luck. It's been a LOT of fun (and challenge) for me.

Reactions: 8 users
traditional student, as long as you have a decent personality, i dont care ;) we had a miserable 50yo (who actually quit during clinics) who should never have been allowed to stay in school. she was combative with everyone, rude towards professors, angry at everyone, blamed everyone and everything else, gosh i could go on and on...actually, i had a med school roommate who was 40 and had many of these traits. i believe she failed out :-/

i think you will be just fine :)

Eeek! Those kinds of personalities are going to have problems everywhere. Fortunately, being an asshat doesn't seem to be age related.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm interested in hearing from other current and former NT's. Did you leave an SO and/or kids behind while in vet school?

I'm a traditional student, in my last year. Frankly, I don't think of any of my classmates as NT vs traditional...you're just a classmate. I may like you or dislike you but it has zero to do with your status in life and everything to do with your attitude. Coming in with a need to prove something because you're older or more experienced or whatever will rub people the wrong way. Don't be condescending. On the flip side, coming in terrified of your younger classmates because you don't think you know about kids these days will be equally a problem. Just treat your classmates as your peers and future colleagues.

Also, I left a SO behind. There's a lot on LDR around here you can dig up, and I've contributed to most of it. I'm happy to chat through PM about my experiences if you have further questions.

I am a traditional applicant... I don't have any issues with non-traditional students in the class. Actually, I get along with most of them really well, if not better. I don't know what extra I would have to "deal with" from a non-traditional vs. a traditional student? Maybe you have some insight as to what someone wouldn't want to "deal with"??

That question came from previous experience. I got my undergrad as an NT as well, and had the unfortunate experience of having to do group projects with a few people who resented being paired up with someone who was almost as old as their parents. But I think that was a maturity issue that I am unlikely to encounter at this caliber. I also have a friend who got her DVM as a NT, and she felt like she struggled to fit in the whole time. I was just wondering what it's like from the other perspective.

During my undergrad I generally got on really well with most people. Things like I mentioned above were really few and far between. I made some great friends along the way - which was based on personality and maturity, not age. I feel like it will be the same in vet school as well.

@Gemgrrrl I'm not really worried about being a NT with traditional students, but I am super nervous about being separated from my husband and daughter. I keep thinking about how I am going to miss 4 years of my daughter's childhood to pursue this dream of mine.

I am worried about this as well. One thing that helped me a lot was seeing my husband's relationship with the kids. He was career military and was separated from them a lot due to deployments. But they still have a great relationship, and they don't resent him at all for being gone. I think in the end it will be good for them to see their parents achieving something like this.

That question came from previous experience. I got my undergrad as an NT as well, and had the unfortunate experience of having to do group projects with a few people who resented being paired up with someone who was almost as old as their parents. But I think that was a maturity issue that I am unlikely to encounter at this caliber. I also have a friend who got her DVM as a NT, and she felt like she struggled to fit in the whole time. I was just wondering what it's like from the other perspective.

During my undergrad I generally got on really well with most people. Things like I mentioned above were really few and far between. I made some great friends along the way - which was based on personality and maturity, not age. I feel like it will be the same in vet school as well.
I'm sorry you had that experience. I became really good friends with a lady who was in a couple of my classes who does actually have kids my age, so I really don't get why people would have reacted that way. You would hope that the majority of vet students would be more mature than those undergrads you had to deal with, and in all likelihood you will find that they are.

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't experienced any resentment. At least, not related to my age. I'm sure some people are like "Oh god, I don't want to be paired up with this idiot." If people felt anything negative, they professionally kept it off their face, anyway.

I don't feel like I struggle to 'fit in' ... I just accept that there are differences. Many of my classmates are doing all the fun things you do in your 20's. Traveling over summers. Flitting around on the weekends having a blast and doing fun stuff while I'm home with the family. Occasionally it makes me feel a tiny bit envious. But .... then I kinda reflect on having done most of that. I learned to fly and flew all over the country. I scuba dive. I've hiked most of northern MN. Etc. So it's not like I haven't had my share of fun.

I am worried about this as well. One thing that helped me a lot was seeing my husband's relationship with the kids. He was career military and was separated from them a lot due to deployments. But they still have a great relationship, and they don't resent him at all for being gone. I think in the end it will be good for them to see their parents achieving something like this.

We are a military family as well. :)

Worst thing about being NT? I'm really NT (i.e. old). People laugh and roll their eyes at me, but my brain just doesn't work as well as the kids (i.e. 20-somethings) in my class. These punks learn so damned fast. They remember everything. They make connections super quick. Give them a set of clinical signs and they'll spew out twenty or thirty differentials while I'm still sitting there thinking "ummmmm..... cancer?" I just can't think as fast as they can and I can't master skills as fast as people who started at the same level I did. I'm really happy with where I'm at, and I bring a lot of other strengths to the game, but I won't lie: I'm not as sharp as most of my classmates and there are days it really frustrates me.

Haha - that is exactly what I am worried about! (I'm 40) I could see a difference during my undergrad as well. I had to get really creative on the memorization, while my younger classmates would hear it once and be good.

For the record, I'm a little tired of the 'NT' term. It's gotten wayyyyyyyyyyy too watered down. You hear people calling themselves NT because they took one year off between high school and college. Meh. Whatever. I personally view 'NT' as more significant. Like going back to vet school 5-6 years after college. Or taking off 5-6 years between high-school/college. A real honest-to-god gap, not some "technically I'm NT" kinda thing. Just me.

It's so funny that you say that. When I was at a pre-interview dinner, I asked a current student about non-traditionals. He used himself as an example, because he had taken a year off between undergrad and vet school.

Was a non-traditional student... (older than LIS:p)...

Really was a complete non-issue. Of course Penn has a lot of us, so we were hardly some fledgling minority.
Didn't think much of the difference, didn't feel like people treated me much differently.
Very occasionally I thought a few people were immature, but that had little to do with age I think.

Biggest moment that made me feel uncomfortable...... and it is kind of humorous.
Three girls who i was acquainted well with were sitting behind me between classes. One was talking about a mutual friend of theirs back from undergrad. Mentioned some guy she met, and then said how he was 40 years old.
Heard a trio of "ewwwwww, that's gross, dating a 40 year old" comments. Really disgusted they were.
Even though I was married, and it didn't involve me, it made me feel just a tad..... well.... old i guess.

I left no one behind. Wife was with me. Furkids were with me.

Reactions: 2 users
Haha - that is exactly what I am worried about! (I'm 40) I could see a difference during my undergrad as well. I had to get really creative on the memorization, while my younger classmates would hear it once and be good.

I was 41 (at that 'gross to date' age, apparently) when I matriculated, so you're more or less at the same point I was. I won't lie: It gets frustrating sometimes when a classmate just remembers some little detail from a lecture 2 months ago, and I'm like "what lecture? did we even have that class yet?" But you deal with it just like you did in undergrad: you work harder, you be more strategic about what things to memorize, and you just accept that your performance may not be as great as their performance. (And that might not be remotely true for you .... it just is for me - I get solid-but-not-great vet school grades. I don't know what my class rank is anymore, but after second year it was right around the middle.)

I'm pretty good friends with a few "kids" that I go to school with. Most didn't know my age until I told them or it accidentally became evident... told my 19 year old lab partner that I drive a Saab and she said "what's that?" They were discontinued before she was old enough to drive.

I think you have to just go with the flow. I'm older, learn slower, don't party, like to go to bed early and hang out with my family. I'm not the asshat older student sitting in the front row being a know it all. I remember that person from when I was a traditional undergrad and I resented that person. I don't want to be like that.

Reactions: 2 users
FYI, I am not so sure I agree with LIS about the younguns being "quicker" than me. Actually I have always been pretty quick to pick concepts up. Memorization was never my thing, so that wasn't an age thing, just a vet school thing. LIS and I are very different that way.

Biggest difference for me was just their stamina to study so much. I just couldn't do it physically. I needed my sleep.

FYI, I am not so sure I agree with LIS about the younguns being "quicker" than me. Actually I have always been pretty quick to pick concepts up. Memorization was never my thing, so that wasn't an age thing, just a vet school thing. LIS and I are very different that way.

Biggest difference for me was just their stamina to study so much. I just couldn't do it physically. I needed my sleep.

I think I notice it because I can tell that it's *different* than when I was younger. Yanno?

I second the assessment offered by LetItSnow. I'm a non-trad (will be 36 in July) in NCSU's class of 2018. I've encountered absolutely zero resentment from the members of my class with respect to my age. There is a significant amount of group interaction in veterinary school (at least in our curriculum). In some instances, you are permitted to choose your group members. In others, you are randomly assigned. I'm glad to have both models in place. Through group-centric classes (small group problem solving, communications, anatomy lab, etc.), I've met people in my class with whom I wouldn't normally interact- not because I don't like these folks, I just hadn't, at that stage, gotten to know them. My class is a great bunch of folks- very diverse, and, on the whole, quite friendly. I'm not a super-social person. As such, I don't participate in many of the social activities that the class plans. This is my choice, not because I haven't been invited. Vet school is tough. With the free time that I do have in my schedule, I choose to spend it decompressing at home with my pets (a geriatric retired racing greyhound and two white rats). This pattern was the same for me in the working world, prior to my arrival at vet school. Your interaction with your vet school class will be what you make it. I doubt that anyone will even think twice about your age. Collegiality is a matter of mutual respect. If you respect the younger folks in your class, they'll respect you. Once that bridge is built, you'll likely be invited to participate in all sorts of events. Should this be your cup of tea, go for it. If you're more like me and choose to hang back, that's ok as well. No one will judge you for either mode of interaction. Even though I don't hang out with the majority of my classmates socially, I still have solid, amicable interactions with them academically throughout the school year. Vet school is the toughest slog (I say that it a loving, joking way) you'll ever love :) Congrats on your acceptance- best of success! Feel free to PM if you've got any questions.

I think I notice it because I can tell that it's *different* than when I was younger. Yanno?

I agree with this. For me, it was all down hill after having my kid. My memory was shot for a while. Long term sleep deprivation will do that to ya.

Damn, the "old men" ;) on here are making me feel old because everything they say describes me. I don't have the stamina to study forever. I can't remember crap we learned just the hour before.

I'm pretty good friends with a few "kids" that I go to school with. Most didn't know my age until I told them or it accidentally became evident... told my 19 year old lab partner that I drive a Saab and she said "what's that?" They were discontinued before she was old enough to drive.

I think you have to just go with the flow. I'm older, learn slower, don't party, like to go to bed early and hang out with my family. I'm not the asshat older student sitting in the front row being a know it all. I remember that person from when I was a traditional undergrad and I resented that person. I don't want to be like that.
I sit in the front row, but I hope that I'm not an asshat ;) That's just my style.

I was a NT when I did vet school (a real NT - dropped out of college at 21 and didn't go back until quite a few years later, with a million jobs in between). My husband and I were long distance the entire time. He stayed in LA to pursue his career and I went to vet school at Davis. It was hard, for sure, but we went into it with a healthy, strong marriage and now we finally live together and our marriage is as strong as ever :) But yeah, we did not have children. That definitely makes things more complicated. That being said I did have classmates with children and they just had different priorities.

As for differences vs. traditional students... for the most part there weren't really any differences. We were all vet students and suffering together, haha. The younger students did tend to party and get sloshed a lot on the weekends, and I didn't hang out with as many of my classmates because I was over that. I had done mooooore than enough of that in my 20's, haha. I'd rather hang at home with some friends chatting over wine. And it was easy to find those friends who'd rather do that, regardless of age.

The other difference I noticed was priorities and life balance. Some (definitely not all) of the traditional students were still very defined by and obsessed with grades. It's all they had ever known - high school grades to get into college, college grades to get into vet school - and they still felt compelled to always strive for straight A's. One girl cried to me, actual tears, because her class rank was 11 and she just wanted to be in the top 10. Meanwhile my class rank was... a whole lot lower, haha. But I didn't kill myself over grades. I never once pulled an all nighter and if my husband was in town, spending time with him was more important than studying. I lived my life in a very balanced manner because I knew there was more to life. I maybe could've gotten better grades, but I did all right and had a balanced life and ended up in my dream residency, so it worked out ;)

Reactions: 5 users
One girl cried to me, actual tears, because her class rank was 11 and she just wanted to be in the top 10. Meanwhile my class rank was... a whole lot lower, haha. ;)

I wouldn't even know what to say to that :)

I wouldn't even know what to say to that :)

Kind of reminds me in undergrad of this one girl complaining over and over that her parents are "so mean" because they had told her they could only afford to cover her undergrad tuition and living expenses, but she was on her own for grad school. I finally got so fed up with her complaining, I said to her, "I will gladly trade you. My parents can't afford either undergrad or grad school so I am paying for everything on my own. I would gladly and very appreciatively take what your parents are offering instead of bitching about it." It sure shut her up.

Kind of reminds me in undergrad of this one girl complaining over and over that her parents are "so mean" because they had told her they could only afford to cover her undergrad tuition and living expenses, but she was on her own for grad school. I finally got so fed up with her complaining, I said to her, "I will gladly trade you. My parents can't afford either undergrad or grad school so I am paying for everything on my own. I would gladly and very appreciatively take what your parents are offering instead of bitching about it." It sure shut her up.
Unbelievable.

Shockingly enough, I had a roommate in undergrad that was even worse than that. Her $1,000 a month allowance on top of all her tuition and living expenses paid, "wasn't enough" and wanted her parents to give her at least $2,000 a month...

Yeah... there's the whole "first world problems" thing.... I have to admit there are times in vet school I've had the thought "20-something problems" in the same vein....

Oh geez. I don't remember. Just times where I've thought "yeah... that seems like a real problem to you... just wait until you actually have responsibilities in life."

Oh, ok.

I dunno, I consider myself independent and responsible for myself. And I am only 26. Are there some vet students that don't actually pay for their own bills? (I am sure there are, but I just haven't encountered any yet)...

Oh geez. I don't remember. Just times where I've thought "yeah... that seems like a real problem to you... just wait until you actually have responsibilities in life."
"I had to call and make a doctor's appointment today. It was awful!!"

Some of us just don't like phone conversations :(
I was making those when I was in middle school.
"Yes hello, this is Momma Gwen, I'd like to make an appointment for Gwen please."

Are there some vet students that don't actually pay for their own bills? (I am sure there are, but I just haven't encountered any yet)...

There was a girl in my class who's parents bought her a nice, large, 2 bedroom house in a nearby town. They paid for all of her expenses. They also bought her a new car so she'd have reliable transportation. But I couldn't really be mad at her... she was actually one of the sweetest people in my class. But yeah. Never paid for a thing herself.

"I had to call and make a doctor's appointment today. It was awful!!"

:lol:

In high school my friend and I worked in the same vet clinic. We then went to the same undergrad and were roommates freshman year. I had told the clinic that I would come back to work during breaks (it was a 2 hour drive away so couldn't do it during school, not to mention I didn't have a car). Anyway, winter break was approaching so I decided I was going to call them and told my roommate that I was going to let them know when I could work... her response, "Can you tell them I will work too?" I told her no, you need to call and tell them you can work if you want to. Her response: "Well, the manager is kind of scary and I don't think she likes me so could you do it." (The manager wasn't scary). I refused to let them know for her... she never called.

Oh, ok.

I dunno, I consider myself independent and responsible for myself. And I am only 26. Are there some vet students that don't actually pay for their own bills? (I am sure there are, but I just haven't encountered any yet)...

Eh. It's not really fair of me to say "20-something" problems. There are responsible and irresponsible people of all ages. Sometimes you just can't help it when you hear some younger person whining about how awful it is that they have an iPhone 4S and their dad is so mean for not upgrading them to a brand new iPhone 6 and blah blah blah.

Truly, not an age thing. It just feels like it sometimes.

There was a girl in my class who's parents bought her a nice, large, 2 bedroom house in a nearby town. They paid for all of her expenses. They also bought her a new car so she'd have reliable transportation. But I couldn't really be mad at her... she was actually one of the sweetest people in my class. But yeah. Never paid for a thing herself.

There are people whose parents do those things for them and the kids/recipients are really graceful about it and not pretentious and snotty .... those are some pretty cool people. It's the ones who act like "well, duh, of COURSE my parents should do that for me... I deserve it" that you just wanna punch.

Eh. It's not really fair of me to say "20-something" problems. There are responsible and irresponsible people of all ages. Sometimes you just can't help it when you hear some younger person whining about how awful it is that they have an iPhone 4S and their dad is so mean for not upgrading them to a brand new iPhone 6 and blah blah blah.

Truly, not an age thing. It just feels like it sometimes.

Yeah, I get it. I would roll my eyes hard at that one...

There are people whose parents do those things for them and the kids/recipients are really graceful about it and not pretentious and snotty .... those are some pretty cool people. It's the ones who act like "well, duh, of COURSE my parents should do that for me... I deserve it" that you just wanna punch.

This x1,000....

My roommate second year had everything covered for her by her parents but she was super grateful, really appreciative and knew how lucky she was. I miss this roomie, we became good friends in undergrad.

Some of us just don't like phone conversations :(
This is why I love email. Also, online appointment scheduling is the best invention ever.