whats the appropriate way to ask workload question?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lorain

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hypothetically

If I am at a site interviewing, what is the best way to ask workload question to the current residents or those involved in the process?

Is this a fair question to ask? I think so, I mean I remember in orientation in pharm school they told us how much work hours is required per credit hour, among other things, and I think it would put one in the right mindset of what to expect also

However I can see it as people thinking the person is trying to find the "easy" one with the least work required.

any thoughts on how to ask this question? is it fair to ask the residents how many hours they putting in per week?

thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.

hypothetically

If I am at a site interviewing, what is the best way to ask workload question to the current residents or those involved in the process?

Is this a fair question to ask? I think so, I mean I remember in orientation in pharm school they told us how much work hours is required per credit hour, among other things, and I think it would put one in the right mindset of what to expect also

However I can see it as people thinking the person is trying to find the "easy" one with the least work required.

any thoughts on how to ask this question? is it fair to ask the residents how many hours they putting in per week?

Good luck.
thanks for the input!

I'm actually going to be a fellow and I think the answer is pretty simple. If you feel like you have a good dialogue going in the interview you can simply ask. This is just like a job interview. Would you ask a potential employer what their current day looks like and what the expectations are? Realize that depending on your rotation that your day will change, but staffing is what will matter. Again, this is part of the program so you should know what you are getting into. The best way to ask would be something to the effect of:
What is the typical workload for the fellow and what is the ASHP staffing requirement for this program?