What's the craziest/most unusual thing you've done for volunteer/paid experience??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AniSci

AniSci
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-vet students have to get so much animal experience (whether it's from working in a clinic to volunteering at the animal shelter)--some people go about that in unusual ways. And I'm looking for some fresh ideas, if possible.

Like today, I thought about how cool it'd be (if they'd let you) to help out at a police station that has K9 officers. I've seen/met police dogs that aren't total tornadoes of fury and madness; some of them are even really sweet with kids. But it's still sort of dangerous and a big liability for the police department to ever let any outsiders do that, unfortunately.

So, what's the coolest experience you've had the opportunity to, well, experience. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I went to South Africa and volunteered for a wildlife vet for two weeks. I got to play with lions, cheetahs, elephants, and nearly got trampled by a few rhinos ;).

Reactions: 1 users
My first day working as a paid vet tech involved restraining panthers for physicals. I also helped restrain large birds of prey (mostly eagles and hawks). The one case that stands out the most was helping fit a brace on a bald eagle's beak (it was born with a deformed beak). It stands out because the doc used a paper clip as a brace. Take that, functional fixation! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I work with a rural veterinarian who travels all over the state (if you're willing to pay he'll drive) and one lady called us over to inspect her exotic petting zoo when her animals arrived. :) I got to play with (and by that I mean pet and take pictures) a baby zebra and a yak. (And an adorable goat but that's normal).

When I was doing 4-H I ended up presenting a project on health and transmissible diseases in cats. When I ended up getting conference judged in the project, I learned that my just was actually a practicing veterinarian. He ended up really liking the project and I ended up winning a grand champion ribbon and presenting it at the state fair.

I'm not sure how unusual/crazy it was, but I thought it was unique enough to warrant mention on my statement. I was only in high school when it happened and it was one of the events that solidified my interest in science and animal health.

Reactions: 1 user
I know in our area, the animal control officers are willing to take people on ride-alongs with them if you ask, which I thought was neat. Never did it myself though.

I almost got to help run an MRI of a decapitated whale head....almost. :*(

When I was in Kenya for a research project I was staying on a farm in the middle of nowhere. One morning I had some computer things to finish up and missed my ride with the farm manager. So I had to walk about half a mile to the farm's cattle dip area, alone, to rendezvous with the farm workers. It was surreal because I was walking through fields filled with zebras, gazelles, and giraffes. I had been there for a few weeks so I knew where I was going and I had explored the ranch's property a few times before by car and with a ranch hand, but being alone in the middle of this field was just weird. Had it not been for the wildlife, the whole experience was almost indistinct from walking through fields in rural Ohio in the summertime.

Reactions: 1 user
Stuck my arm up a mare's rectum/vagina to preg check for 2 1/2 years?

I think she is thinking more along the lines of... what crazy things have you done to GET volunteer experience. Not what the actual volunteer experience was...

Example: Lap dance for shadowing hours.

Reactions: 2 users
I almost got to help run an MRI of a decapitated whale head....almost. :*(

I have to say, the MRI of the whale head sounds like an absolutely awesome experience. I worked in anatomy lab in undergrad... still peek in on dissections from time to time. I'd be absolutely crazy to see and MRI of something unusual like that. Shame that you didn't get to help. :(

I think she is thinking more along the lines of... what crazy things have you done to GET volunteer experience. Not what the actual volunteer experience was...

Example: Lap dance for shadowing hours.

27y62kh.jpg

Get that mind out of the gutter young lady. You're going to be a doctor someday.

I attended a spay/neuter mobile clinic RAVS trip a few years back to a Lakota reservation in South Dakota. Slept on an elementary classroom floor and worked at the make shift clinic set up in the fire hall. Not too crazy, but not something I was used to. It's still the greatest veterinary experience I've ever had.

I also misinterpreted the initial question, but I may as well share. I worked at a small animal clinic one summer as an assistant. The vet was alright, but his wife/receptionist was insane and rumor had it she was beginning dementia. One day she told me she wanted me to clean really well because the "college kids" we're coming the end of the week and she wanted the place spotless. I figured they had some pre vet students coming for a tour. The day before they came she told me she had a "special job" for me (which never ended well), and told me to follow her. She handed me a rag, a towel "for my knees," a bucket, floor stripper, and a toothbrush. She made me clean the entire clinic's floor molding with a toothbrush. If I didn't need the money or hours, I would have quit on the spot, but I kept my mouth shut and did as I was told. The next day I was busy with some borders when I got a call on the intercom the "college kids" had arrived and Mrs. Crazy wanted me to bring up the apple juice and cookies. I thought it was a little strange, but I complied. I went upstairs to find 20 elementary school aged kids in the center of the clinic. They were there with a kid's veterinary theme camp hosted by one of the local collges. I spent HOURS on my hands and knees with floor stripper and a toothbrush cleaning floor molding for 6 year olds.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought and thought about this question for quite some time. Here is my contribution to this.

In high school, I volunteered at a raptor/reptile rehab in AZ. Mind you, I was like 14. Every Tuesday, I had to feed and water the Gila Monster, Dori. For those of you who did not grow up in a desert, this is what nightmare are made of. They are a lizard about a foot long and are striped orange and black (warning colors). They move slowly but if they get you, you're gone because their jaws lock and they don't let go. So once a week, I took my life into my hands to reach into it's enclosure to pull out its water bowl, refill it, and then put it back.

I was really happy when I started working at a vet clinic when I turned 16.

I thought and thought about this question for quite some time. Here is my contribution to this.

In high school, I volunteered at a raptor/reptile rehab in AZ. Mind you, I was like 14. Every Tuesday, I had to feed and water the Gila Monster, Dori. For those of you who did not grow up in a desert, this is what nightmare are made of. They are a lizard about a foot long and are striped orange and black (warning colors). They move slowly but if they get you, you're gone because their jaws lock and they don't let go. So once a week, I took my life into my hands to reach into it's enclosure to pull out its water bowl, refill it, and then put it back.

I was really happy when I started working at a vet clinic when I turned 16.

I am sure their venom also has some effect, but they actually aren't that deadly.... ;)