What's the difference between health policy and health administration?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm supposed know this, but I dont =( At first I thought they were the same, as many programs are called 'Health Policy & Admin', but then I was told they were totally different. And also seems like schools specialize in health policy aren't necessarily good at health administration programs. I googled but found no useful info.

So I'm stuck.

Would somebody please tell me the what differences are? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Would somebody please tell me the what differences are?

Pasted below is some info from the Health Policy & Management website of UC Berkeley, hpm.berkeley.edu. To over-generalize: policy studies help you evaluate public health systems and programs on a whole, while admin studies help you implement directives (or evaluate how those initiatives are being implemented) within an organization.

Upon satisfactory completion of the MPH curriculum with a concentration in Health Policy and Management, students will be able to demonstrate the skills identified in the following areas:

Policy Analysis and Strategic Planning
- Critically assess existing health systems and practices and their political, economic and socio-cultural contexts.
- Develop policy options for the achievement of an agency's or program's objectives.
- Analyze the strengths and weaknesses of policy options from the prespectives of multiple stakeholder groups.
- Gather and organize information on the aspects of the political situation that may affect the ability of an organization to achieve it objectives.
- Apply core biomedical and public health sciences to policy development and policy implementation, including the use of concepts and scientific finding from epidemiology, biostatistics and the behavioral and social sciences.
- Evaluate the effects of health policies.

Management of Programs and Organizations
- Specify organization, department, or program missions and objectives.
- Translate legislative mandates into organizational plans and programs.
- Assess organizational structure and performance.
- Manage organizational change and innovation.
- Use methods of continuous quality assessment, assurance and improvement.
- Conduct economic and financial analyses of health care organizational and benefit plans including managed care.
- Explain budget processes, including basic accounting and fiscal monitoring techniques.
- Conduct cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analyses.

Health admin management: work in a hospital or physician practice doing finance/HR/operations/etc.

Health policy: work in a policy institute/unversity/consulting group doing research