What's the importance of SIRS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aclamity

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Really dumb question, but I'm sort of failing to see the importance of saying someone is in SIRS and how that affects management/diagnosis. For instance, Patient A has clinical symptoms of typical comm-acquired pneumonia, along with leukocytosis. Now let's say they get a fever or get tachycardic. Now they're in SIRS. What does this change about dx/managment/Tx? Everytime I present a case involving some sort of infection my resident asks me: "do they meet the criteria for SIRS?" and I always answer yes/no, but that never seems to change how we manage the patient. So what's the utility of saying they're in SIRS if it doesn't change anything? I realize this probably has an obvious and simple answer, but bear with me--I'm only in my 2nd week of IM :p

Members don't see this ad.

Systemic inflammatory response syndrome — SIRS is the clinical syndrome that results from a dysregulated inflammatory response to a noninfectious insult, such as an autoimmune disorder, pancreatitis, vasculitis, thromboembolism, burns, or surgery. It requires that two or more of the following abnormalities be present:

&#9632;Temperature >38.3ºC or <36ºC
&#9632;Heart rate >90 beats/min
&#9632;Respiratory rate >20 breaths/min or PaCO2 <32 mmHg
&#9632;WBC >12,000 cells/mm3, <4000 cells/mm3, or >10 percent immature (band) forms

Sepsis &#8212; Sepsis is the clinical syndrome that results from a dysregulated inflammatory response to an infection. It exists if two or more of the following abnormalities are present, along with either a culture-proven or visually identified infection:

&#9632;Temperature >38.3ºC or <36ºC
&#9632;Heart rate >90 beats/min
&#9632;Respiratory rate >20 breaths/min or PaCO2 <32 mmHg
&#9632;WBC >12,000 cells/mm3, <4000 cells/mm3, or >10 percent immature (band) forms

Severe sepsis &#8212; Severe sepsis refers to sepsis plus at least one of the following signs of hypoperfusion or organ dysfunction:

&#9632;Areas of mottled skin
&#9632;Capillary refilling requires three seconds or longer
&#9632;Urine output <0.5 mL/kg for at least one hour, or renal replacement therapy
&#9632;Lactate >2 mmol/L
&#9632;Abrupt change in mental status
&#9632;Abnormal electroencephalographic (EEG) findings
&#9632;Platelet count <100,000 platelets/mL
&#9632;Disseminated intravascular coagulation
&#9632;Acute lung injury or acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS)
&#9632;Cardiac dysfunction (ie, left ventricular systolic dysfunction), as defined by echocardiography or direct measurement of the cardiac index

Septic shock &#8212; Septic shock exists if there is severe sepsis plus one or both of the following:

&#9632;Systemic mean blood pressure is <60 mmHg (or <80 mmHg if the patient has baseline hypertension) despite adequate fluid resuscitation
&#9632;Maintaining the systemic mean blood pressure >60 mmHg (or >80 mmHg if the patient has baseline hypertension) requires dopamine >5 mcg/kg per min, norepinephrine <0.25 mcg/kg per min, or epinephrine <0.25 mcg/kg per min despite adequate fluid resuscitation

Mortality &#8212; Sepsis has a high mortality rate, with estimates ranging from 20 to 50 percent [15,25,28-31]. However, the mortality rate appears to have decreased (figure 4) [15,25,32]. Mortality rates increase stepwise according to disease severity. In one study, the mortality rate of SIRS, sepsis, severe sepsis, and septic shock was 7, 16, 20, and 46 percent, respectively [27]. Most deaths occur within the first six months; however, mortality remains elevated at one-year among patients who survived sepsis [33,34]. Patients who survive sepsis also appear to have a persistent decrement in their quality of life

Using SIRS is a way to determine whether a patient has a "simple infection" or illness vs a more lifethreatening entity. They are sicker and I worry more. For me it's going to determine whether it's safe for me to treat on the island or do I need to medevac to higher level of care where there is an ICU?

I think the SIRS criteria is also fairly vague too although it is sometimes a good marker of just "how sick" someone is or might get. I've had a couple patients who fit SIRS criteria who progressed into severe sepsis necessitating more aggressive treatment.

I think part of it is also for billing purposes

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the biggest issue with the SIRS criteria is that every time I go for a jog I'm suddenly in SIRS. This actually popped up recently because we had a patient admitted with SIRS/sepsis being a concern. While we covered the possibility of PNA, the biggest issue was his bronchi obstruction secondary to hilar small cell lung CA leading to a completely collapsed lung. The kicker? EF of 15% due to meth use made him ineligible for chemo.

Interestingly enough, when you have trouble ventilating, your respiratory rate and pulse tend to increase, and the SIRS criteria is very easy to reach on those two points.

I think the biggest issue with the SIRS criteria is that every time I go for a jog I'm suddenly in SIRS. This actually popped up recently because we had a patient admitted with SIRS/sepsis being a concern. While we covered the possibility of PNA, the biggest issue was his bronchi obstruction secondary to hilar small cell lung CA leading to a completely collapsed lung. The kicker? EF of 15% due to meth use made him ineligible for chemo.

Interestingly enough, when you have trouble ventilating, your respiratory rate and pulse tend to increase, and the SIRS criteria is very easy to reach on those two points.

Exactly. But I guess if it's more of a tool to gauge "how sick/unstable this patient is" and how much monitoring they'll require that makes more sense. It's true that I do get more worried and check on my SIRS/sepsis patients more often, but I don't drastically change my plans for them (except maybe give more fluids)

It's kind of like staging a tumor for the sake of prognosis. It helps guide your expectations as to how their clinical course will unfold, so that you can be prepared. When someone comes into the ER with a perforated colon, I know they're going to be septic post-operatively, so we gear up for it.

easy way to say it is that if you have an infection, if you meet SIRS criteria you have sepsis, not SIRS. SIRS itself rarely guides management where as sepsis vs. no sepsis does often guide management.

Really dumb question, but I'm sort of failing to see the importance of saying someone is in SIRS and how that affects management/diagnosis. For instance, Patient A has clinical symptoms of typical comm-acquired pneumonia, along with leukocytosis. Now let's say they get a fever or get tachycardic. Now they're in SIRS. What does this change about dx/managment/Tx? Everytime I present a case involving some sort of infection my resident asks me: "do they meet the criteria for SIRS?" and I always answer yes/no, but that never seems to change how we manage the patient. So what's the utility of saying they're in SIRS if it doesn't change anything? I realize this probably has an obvious and simple answer, but bear with me--I'm only in my 2nd week of IM :p

This is literally one of the most painful points of my life. Attendings... ATTENDINGS don't get it. I've had people admitted to my service for a heart rate of 91 and a WBC of 12.1. No symptoms. No complaints. ALREADY on outpatient IV antibiotics. I mean... seriously?

easy way to say it is that if you have an infection, if you meet SIRS criteria you have sepsis, not SIRS. SIRS itself rarely guides management where as sepsis vs. no sepsis does often guide management.

You need SIRS with a source to have sepsis. If you have no more sense than a 3rd year in the 2nd week of IM, you might think that SIRS directs medical decision making. It doesn't. It does (or should) direct clinical reasoning... look for a cause of the syndrome, one cause of which might be an infection. Its a useful exercise to have medical students do, because you are going to start associating certain patterns more closely with each other, and you start to see syndromes rather than discrete vitals. It moves from "Differential of fever + differential of tachy + differential of tachypneic" to "differential for SIRS positive"

SIRS criteria is used to identify the presence of inflammation in the body. When associated with either a fever or leukocytosis, the chances that the immunocompetent patient is infected is high, and they would likely benefit from antibiotics. This is a sensitive test, not a specific one. Which means that if no SIRS, probably don't need antibiotics, and NOT if SIRS then do need antibiotics.

In fact, SIRS criteria without fever or leukocytosis in an immunocomeptent patient has a positive likelihood ratio less than one. Which means finding tachycardia and tachypnea makes it LESS likely they are infected (as long as fever and leukocytosis are absent). If you don't believe me, look around the next time you're at the gym. Tachycardic? Tachypneic? You should be, if you're doing anything at all, other than posing in the mirror. How many of those people have a need for antibiotics (other than Gc or Chla)? How many of those people even have systemic inflammation?

The reason why Tachycarida and Tachypnea are SIRS criteria is because people who are immunocompromised (chemo, AIDS, transplant, immunosuppresion) may not have the immune system to mount a leukocytosis or a fever. Not that they will necessary be low (that is also criteria), its just that their immune system is not robust enough to show you an infection. In fact, they wont consolidate on a chest x-ray when bacteria are there, it won't burn when they pee, and they may not even have signs of meningeal irritation. The point is, if you see any SIRS in immunocompromise you must at least think of an infection because the clinical presentation is often deceiving. These people have a much lower threshold for needing antibiotics; especially when initial diagnostics for a source are underway (cultures will be positive eventually).

So what's the point to SIRS?
1. Don't miss someone who could benefit from antibiotics
2. Recognize that immunocompromised patients are sicker than they appear
3. Fever or Leukocytosis is "required" (practically) in immunocompetent patients
4. If they are SIRS positive but ROS negative, consider another inflammatory disorder that does not have to do with infections or antibiotics.

Billing
1. Hospital gets paid more if there is "Sepsis 2/2Pneumonia" than for just "Pneumonia."

For a medical student perspective: know if SIRS yes or no.

See how long that took? Its actually much more complicated than people realize, and much more complicated than people care to learn. Which is why people meet "admission criteria" even though they probably could just go home. See that 60 minutes special on HMA. The computer flags someone as ill because they meet criteria. Dumb-dumbs (or money hounds) will obey the computer; clinicians will weight what that actually means relative to a vast number of other factors.

Last edited:
I was always told that for SIRS to be applicable, you should really have a fever or leukocytosis... I don't agree with seeing tachycardia and tachypnea and going with a SIRS admission and full sepsis work-up....

I was always told that for SIRS to be applicable, you should really have a fever or leukocytosis... I don't agree with seeing tachycardia and tachypnea and going with a SIRS admission and full sepsis work-up....

Right... except in the case of immunocompromise. It is never "SIRS = Blood Cultures" but it is there to remind you "hey, consider this, 'cause you know that heart you transplanted last year? Shame to lose it because you didnt check for blood cultures. Or rejection."

The point is, if you see any SIRS in immunocompromise you must at least think of an infection because the clinical presentation is often deceiving. These people have a much lower threshold for needing antibiotics; especially when initial diagnostics for a source are underway (cultures will be positive eventually).

Right... except in the case of immunocompromise. It is never "SIRS = Blood Cultures" but it is there to remind you "hey, consider this, 'cause you know that heart you transplanted last year? Shame to lose it because you didnt check for blood cultures. Or rejection."

Fair point to consider.

This is literally one of the most painful points of my life. Attendings... ATTENDINGS don't get it. I've had people admitted to my service for a heart rate of 91 and a WBC of 12.1. No symptoms. No complaints. ALREADY on outpatient IV antibiotics. I mean... seriously?

You need SIRS with a source to have sepsis. If you have no more sense than a 3rd year in the 2nd week of IM, you might think that SIRS directs medical decision making. It doesn't. It does (or should) direct clinical reasoning... look for a cause of the syndrome, one cause of which might be an infection. Its a useful exercise to have medical students do, because you are going to start associating certain patterns more closely with each other, and you start to see syndromes rather than discrete vitals. It moves from "Differential of fever + differential of tachy + differential of tachypneic" to "differential for SIRS positive"

SIRS criteria is used to identify the presence of inflammation in the body. When associated with either a fever or leukocytosis, the chances that the immunocompetent patient is infected is high, and they would likely benefit from antibiotics. This is a sensitive test, not a specific one. Which means that if no SIRS, probably don't need antibiotics, and NOT if SIRS then do need antibiotics.

In fact, SIRS criteria without fever or leukocytosis in an immunocomeptent patient has a positive likelihood ratio less than one. Which means finding tachycardia and tachypnea makes it LESS likely they are infected (as long as fever and leukocytosis are absent). If you don't believe me, look around the next time you're at the gym. Tachycardic? Tachypneic? You should be, if you're doing anything at all, other than posing in the mirror. How many of those people have a need for antibiotics (other than Gc or Chla)? How many of those people even have systemic inflammation?

The reason why Tachycarida and Tachypnea are SIRS criteria is because people who are immunocompromised (chemo, AIDS, transplant, immunosuppresion) may not have the immune system to mount a leukocytosis or a fever. Not that they will necessary be low (that is also criteria), its just that their immune system is not robust enough to show you an infection. In fact, they wont consolidate on a chest x-ray when bacteria are there, it won't burn when they pee, and they may not even have signs of meningeal irritation. The point is, if you see any SIRS in immunocompromise you must at least think of an infection because the clinical presentation is often deceiving. These people have a much lower threshold for needing antibiotics; especially when initial diagnostics for a source are underway (cultures will be positive eventually).

So what's the point to SIRS?
1. Don't miss someone who could benefit from antibiotics
2. Recognize that immunocompromised patients are sicker than they appear
3. Fever or Leukocytosis is "required" (practically) in immunocompetent patients
4. If they are SIRS positive but ROS negative, consider another inflammatory disorder that does not have to do with infections or antibiotics.

Billing
1. Hospital gets paid more if there is "Sepsis 2/2Pneumonia" than for just "Pneumonia."

For a medical student perspective: know if SIRS yes or no.

See how long that took? Its actually much more complicated than people realize, and much more complicated than people care to learn. Which is why people meet "admission criteria" even though they probably could just go home. See that 60 minutes special on HMA. The computer flags someone as ill because they meet criteria. Dumb-dumbs (or money hounds) will obey the computer; clinicians will weight what that actually means relative to a vast number of other factors.

Thanks this was really helpful!

It's easy to put in your txt page to the admitting resident ;)

If you don't believe me, look around the next time you're at the gym. Tachycardic? Tachypneic? You should be, if you're doing anything at all, other than posing in the mirror. How many of those people have a need for antibiotics (other than Gc or Chla)? How many of those people even have systemic inflammation?

Actually, I mentioned in my post that you truncated that I meet SIRS criteria every time I go for a jog....

When I was intern one blood culture bottle turned up coag neg staph. Senior resident wanted to me pull out the central line. When I reviewed her physical exams, vitals and lab there were no signs of SIRS which I regard is a sign of probable infection. I did not think patient was bactermic. Thus, I did not removed her central line thinking it was a contaminant. I explained my reasoning later and resident nodded his head in agreement.