What's the most distracting thing that's happened to you while studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this will be a funny thread.

Me:

1. Papa Don't Preach - I had a grown man with an old-fashioned 1980's "ghetto blaster" sit a few tables away from me in the Boston Public Library (while I was taking a practice test) and start blasting Cyndi Lauper. Soon afterwards, 3 librarians quickly approached and told him to leave.

2. FLEAS - I sat in the basement of the Boston Public Library to take a practice test. I soon noticed that homeless people hang out there. (My thoughts: I'm not too good to sit next to these people.) Next thing I knew, something started biting me. And then really started biting me all over the side of my body next to a poor man who must have had fleas. I paused my test and found a different table on another floor.

3. Laundromat - This may have been my fault, but I tried to take a section of a full length while doing laundry. The owner of the laundromat, who I didn't think spoke a word of English (because she acted like she didn't understand customers all day long), yelled at me: "You've been in here for a very long time! You have to leave," without even asking politely first.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Got a concussion 3 weeks before the MCAT while doing a practice test at the library. For some reason, my school decided to utilize a bulldozer to clear out a 0.3mm layer of snow off of the concrete. All I heard in the midst of my verbal reasoning practice was a loud scraping sound outside, so naturally I stopped and looked out the window. By doing so, I hit my head on the frame. It healed in a week though, but I couldn't do any practice tests during that time. Glad it didn't affect me though!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
our bathroom pipe burst and I had drank close to 3 cups of coffee that day...

things got awkward .. fast

The local baseball team mascot (a large rodent) came to the library to give everyone high fives and make people laugh. He (or she) decided to put bunny ears on me while some random publicity people who came with him started talking pictures. I was in the middle of the VR section of a practice exam...

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
The local baseball team mascot (a large rodent) came to the library to give everyone high fives and make people laugh. He (or she) decided to put bunny ears on me while some random publicity people who came with him started talking pictures. I was in the middle of the VR section of a practice exam...

lmfao seriously?

Call of Duty is probably the biggest distraction for me. I'm also glad there's no hockey during the summer so that I could focus lol

Reactions: 1 user
I hope this will be a funny thread.

Me:

1. Papa Don't Preach - I had a grown man with an old-fashioned 1980's "ghetto blaster" sit a few tables away from me in the Boston Public Library (while I was taking a practice test) and start blasting Cyndi Lauper. Soon afterwards, 3 librarians quickly approached and told him to leave.

2. FLEAS - I sat in the basement of the Boston Public Library to take a practice test. I soon noticed that homeless people hang out there. (My thoughts: I'm not too good to sit next to these people.) Next thing I knew, something started biting me. And then really started biting me all over the side of my body next to a poor man who must have had fleas. I paused my test and found a different table on another floor.

3. Laundromat - This may have been my fault, but I tried to take a section of a full length while doing laundry. The owner of the laundromat, who I didn't think spoke a word of English (because she acted like she didn't understand customers all day long), yelled at me: "You've been in here for a very long time! You have to leave," without even asking politely first.
at my library, there's little children running all over the place, non stop. I want to scream. Then there's these random psychotic people who always end up sitting adjacent to me and spend their hours talking to themselves or coughing, etc.

the second most distracting thing for me? SDN. SDN SDN SDN. After about 3 hours in sitting in one spot, I start to go on SDN like crazy looking to interact with people.

Members don't see this ad :)
at my library, there's little children running all over the place, non stop. I want to scream. Then there's these random psychotic people who always end up sitting adjacent to me and spend their hours talking to themselves or coughing, etc.

the second most distracting thing for me? SDN. SDN SDN SDN. After about 3 hours in sitting in one spot, I start to go on SDN like crazy looking to interact with people.

Your library doesn't have quiet rooms? and Silent rooms? and private rooms you can reserve for like 4 hours at a time?

You can never escape the kids. The college library is the probably the best way by far (besides your home), but their lurking in the corners ready to blow your eardrums to kingdom come.

Lateral water pipe bringing all the water to my house burst at a lake house I was using to study. Had to come home where I am constantly distracted by people. Praying they can fix it so I can go back and study undistracted.

CalculatingGraveHairstreakbutterfly.gif

Mom was hospitalized in the week before the MCAT. Spent night in ER. Decided to get the MCAT, two days later, done with. Rocked a 32.

My dad died the month before I took my test. I don't know if 'distracting' is the first word that comes to mind to describe that but I guess it was kind of distracting.

Warning: Sad post

My dad died the month before I took my test. I don't know if 'distracting' is the first word that comes to mind to describe that but I guess it was kind of distracting.

Sorry to hear that. My grandpa died the first time I took time off to take the MCAT and we were extremely close. Personally, I don't know that it impacted my studying so much as it increased the surrealness of doing nothing all day but MCAT (full lengths), going over answers, then having a couple non-MCAT hours to think about the death, family, and everything else. Sad and strange times. I look back and it was awful that I didn't have more time to spend with him and family when he was dying, but I suspect that's how he would have wanted it to be. He would want me to be successful.

Two dogs, one pretty much still a puppy. Spilled some beef and au jus on my books now the pup keeps trying to lick them while I study.

Oh, that reminds me, my old housemate's cat use to jump on the table and swat at my pencil when I tried to write down answers. Then if I ignored her, she would complain, "Me!" the way cats can kind of say that, and wack me one with her claws.

At my local library I use to study there is always the same crowd there using the public computers etc. Well, there is this guy who is literally 550 pounds that always comes up and talks to me even though I sit in the back at a table with my laptop, and ever since he asked what I was studying for @ beginning of summer and told him MCAT he likes to come up and have random chats about health and medicine in general with me. Holy fuuuck it is annoying--especially when this dude approaches midway thru timed verbal passages. Well anyways the other day topped them all--he comes up and goes "I have been having all these hot flashes and sweats. I can't figure out whats going on. "

Me: Errr okay.:confused:
Him: Yeah my doctor can't figure it out--I am always sweating.
Me: Thinking to myself ..umm no **** you are over 500 pounds
Him: Like look I am all wet right now, and AC is on in here, this shouldn't be happening
Me: Yeah true
Him: can you think of what could be wrong with me?
Me: have you had your thyroid checked?
Him: Oh, not sure. Are you referring to the weight now?
Me: Thinking WTF no ****!!! And if this guy hasn't had thyroid checked at over 500lbs I would be shocked. I say "well yeah it could be causing the sweating"
Him: Then goes on to ramble about supplements and vitamins he takes and brags about Andrews brand in particular
Me: KIllll me now!! I stopped going to library cause of this guy.

Lateral water pipe bringing all the water to my house burst at a lake house I was using to study. Had to come home where I am constantly distracted by people. Praying they can fix it so I can go back and study undistracted.

CalculatingGraveHairstreakbutterfly.gif
A pipe bursting at your lake house was your biggest MCAT distraction?

First World problems, my friends.

Reactions: 2 users
A pipe bursting at your lake house was your biggest MCAT distraction?

First World problems, my friends.

Probably true haha. We all live relative lives and it seriously interrupted my MCAT grooove.

N1mBtHw.jpg

Warning: Sad post

Sorry to hear that. My grandpa died the first time I took time off to take the MCAT and we were extremely close. Personally, I don't know that it impacted my studying so much as it increased the surrealness of doing nothing all day but MCAT (full lengths), going over answers, then having a couple non-MCAT hours to think about the death, family, and everything else. Sad and strange times. I look back and it was awful that I didn't have more time to spend with him and family when he was dying, but I suspect that's how he would have wanted it to be. He would want me to be successful.

@Tappinfool66 and @Gauss44 I am sorry for your losses.

Adorable white kitten who just wants to sit on my MCAT books.

And boyfriend.

And naps.

My parents thought it would be fun to close on my child hood home a month before test day (They weren't supposed to move for 5 years but they found a house they liked 3 miles away from work and jumped on it)
Anyway Im stupidly attached to the place and I was supposed to be up at school studying and working in my lab but instead I've spent the last 3 weeks walking around my house as everyone is moving out and crying like an idiot.

That and in the middle of a full length my normally very well trained dog somehow got into my room, lifted his leg, and peed on the corner leg of my desk. You can guess what I spent my 10 min break doing.

Week long Disney World vacation... sigh :rolleyes:

I can relate. girlfriend surprises me with a week in cancun in the middle of my studying. I was kinda pissed, but it was hard to complain lol

at least I have an excuse now if I bombed...

Stupid obligatory summer classes, work, Ramadan (thank God it's over), the fighting in israel/palestine ...so much loss of life, IT'S DISTRESSING!! Relative's wedding. I don't know how I'm keeping my sanity. I have 2 cumalitive finals on friday (200 points each), an exam thursday, wednesday, and a quiz today. My MCAT is scheduled august 7th. I have a few gray hairs, but I'm sure it's only the beginning. ;)

During my MCAT, there was construction going on right next to the test center. Naturally, the MCAT room had a wall that was facing the construction zone. So we all could hear jackhammers, construction vehicles, etc in the test center. The center also didn't have noise isolating headphones which made it even better.

That time when you're taking the BS section of your very last practice test and some kid in the otherwise empty library decides to sit kitty corner to you and start biting into the worlds crispiest apple.
Normally that stuff doesn't bother me but I must have read one passage 3 times over because all I could think about was how badly I wanted to punch him in the face.

I swear to god the thing was never ending too. Huge bites for a solid 10 min. How is that even possible?