What's the most important thing when you reapply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chillaxbro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is the strength of your application by itself the important thing? Or the improvement from the previous year?

I believe my application would be okay by itself if I were to be applying for the first time

But I am reapplying and compared to last years, it's pretty much the same. Same activities with more hours, an earlier application, improved essays, and hopefully more preparation for interviews.

I plan on getting more activities but it will be after I submit my application.

Members don't see this ad.

Is the strength of your application by itself the important thing? Or the improvement from the previous year?

I believe my application would be okay by itself if I were to be applying for the first time

But I am reapplying and compared to last years, it's pretty much the same. Same activities with more hours, an earlier application, improved essays, and hopefully more preparation for interviews.

I'm pretty much in the same boat. My app was complete in October, received secondary for my state school in November, interviewed in March and was waitlisted. I'm not sure how much I need to change since I made it to the waitlist?

I'm pretty much in the same boat. My app was complete in October, received secondary for my state school in November, interviewed in March and was waitlisted. I'm not sure how much I need to change since I made it to the waitlist?

Don't be fooled into thinking that since you made it to the waitlist last time means that you'll be accepted this time. Most schools want to see improvement in your app--I'd contact admissions and see if there was anything in particular that they thought needed improvement, and then address whatever it is.

Members don't see this ad :)
Improvement. if your applicationw as so good the first time, you would have gotten in the first time, unless you applied late. But still, any improvement makes you stand out from all those average applicants...and there are a lot of them.

Don't be fooled into thinking that since you made it to the waitlist last time means that you'll be accepted this time. Most schools want to see improvement in your app--I'd contact admissions and see if there was anything in particular that they thought needed improvement, and then address whatever it is.

Actually I have spoken with the dean of admissions at the school I am waitlisted at and he said my grades/MCAT were solid, but I needed more clinical experience. Since I have been working as a medical assistant for a solid year since graduating college along with on-going volunteering, he said this is what my application was lacking. He also said I should go ahead and apply since I will be able to do so earlier than last cycle. I also made the obvious updates to my personal statement, work/activities section.

You NEED improvement from the previous cycle. You have to show schools you are determined. New activities, rework your personal statement, and if possible maybe a new LOR. Improve on what you think kept you back. Practice interview skills. Don't sell yourself short because of lazyness.

Improvement. if your applicationw as so good the first time, you would have gotten in the first time, unless you applied late. But still, any improvement makes you stand out from all those average applicants...and there are a lot of them.
Would improvement for a late application include shadowing two or three DOs and getting a DO letter, while continuing the same amount of volunteering and work, or is this not enough?

In addition, what about schools you didn't apply to before? Do they still look for improvement? Can they see your activities from last year?

In addition, what about schools you didn't apply to before? Do they still look for improvement? Can they see your activities from last year?

I'm under the impression that they cannot since they have never seen your first application.

Also, does anyone know how long a school keeps your previous application for? I applied in 2011, which means that I have a 2-year gap between my apps. Will schools keep app histories longer than a year?

I'm under the impression that they cannot since they have never seen your first application.

This is true, if you have never applied to a school, you aren't reapplying- it is the first time they are seeing your application.

Also, does anyone know how long a school keeps your previous application for? I applied in 2011, which means that I have a 2-year gap between my apps. Will schools keep app histories longer than a year?

This is true, if you have never applied to a school, you aren't reapplying- it is the first time they are seeing your application.

You are a re-applicant if this is your second time completing your AMCAS app.
Using the information provided, a computerized tool designs something like a chart where one can see how you behaved during your gap year(s).

Hope this helps.

I took two years off since I applied the first time unsuccessfully. Been doing research at a top institution at a highly respected lab. One of the most important things I've learned is that no one, no matter how smart they are, gets to the top by doing the minimum passing effort.

You and I got rejected because we weren't good enough, plain and simple. Fortunately, we get a second chance. You need to improve everything on your app - essays, experiences, scores, grades. Anything you can do, you should do. That's what I did. And that doesn't mean just more hours. If you are doing research, you should be trying to get on papers, giving poster presentations, submitting abstracts for awards. If you are volunteering, make connections, try to get in some leadership position, or find a mentor and a possible letter writer. If your MCAT is lower than your target, then spend the hours pushing it up. I raised my score ~5 pts. How? I thought about how much effort and time medical students put into studying for the USMLE and considered the MCAT a training run for the future. Be honest with yourself - are you putting in the effort it takes to succeed?

I took two years off since I applied the first time unsuccessfully. Been doing research at a top institution at a highly respected lab. One of the most important things I've learned is that no one, no matter how smart they are, gets to the top by doing the minimum passing effort.

You and I got rejected because we weren't good enough, plain and simple. Fortunately, we get a second chance. You need to improve everything on your app - essays, experiences, scores, grades. Anything you can do, you should do. That's what I did. And that doesn't mean just more hours. If you are doing research, you should be trying to get on papers, giving poster presentations, submitting abstracts for awards. If you are volunteering, make connections, try to get in some leadership position, or find a mentor and a possible letter writer. If your MCAT is lower than your target, then spend the hours pushing it up. I raised my score ~5 pts. How? I thought about how much effort and time medical students put into studying for the USMLE and considered the MCAT a training run for the future. Be honest with yourself - are you putting in the effort it takes to succeed?

How the heck are you a reapplicant? I'd kill for your MDApps.

First time I applied I had the bare minimum passing ECs and my grades and MCATs were average. My state school passed me over. For most private schools, I'm of the opinion that some aspect of your application needs to be exceptional. I decided that my MCAT score was something I could improve. I also knew that I wanted my research to stand out. Those are the two things I worked on the most to improve my application. I also found volunteering that tied into my research topic. I think that helps quite a bit. For example, if you're researching mental health, even at the basic science level, it would do you good to volunteer at a shelter catering to mental disabilities.

For many people, grades and MCATs are going to be stuck around average. Looking at other people's experiences on the forums, that's okay. That just means you need to find something else you can be exceptional at. Dedicate yourself to research and get first or second authorship. Volunteer at a shelter and work your way up to a leadership position. Med schools want people that will be successful, and the best indicator of future success is past success.

If you are a re-applicant you should always submit on the day of opening. There is no excuse for late applications the second time around.

Reactions: 1 user
If you are a re-applicant you should always submit on the day of opening. There is no excuse for late applications the second time around.
What if you're on multiple wait lists and have no response from anywhere? Should you still apply on June 1st? Should I prepare my 2nd application if I do not get a confirmed spot by May 15th?

What if you're on multiple wait lists and have no response from anywhere? Should you still apply on June 1st? Should I prepare my 2nd application if I do not get a confirmed spot by May 15th?
Well, that is a problem. I know of some students in my class who only got 2 days notice to show up and start medical school. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you. I would hope the schools would get back to you by May 15th - some will not. When I was on the wait list, I wasn't finally rejected until the very end of May and I promptly re-applied when the cycle opened again. Have to be ready for both scenarios. Medical school doesn't start until the end of July so if you are waitlisted it may be well into June before you get an answer either way. Many times wait lists don't move until close to class starting because you have those who are holding out for there top choice and many have multiple acceptances and hold on to them until the last minute. Makes it hard for everyone and it sucks.

Yes. If you waste the money, so be it.

Also, MCAT scores are only good for 3 years at most. If you're considering not applying again this year b/c of hoping a waitlist pays off, you need to check whether you're going to be in the unfortunate position of being a re-applicant who needs to retake the MCAT . . . which will definitely happen if you have 2 unsuccessful cycles (fingers crossed that's not your situation, but it's best to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised) and waited a year between them.

Yes. If you waste the money, so be it.

Also, MCAT scores are only good for 3 years at most. If you're considering not applying again this year b/c of hoping a waitlist pays off, you need to check whether you're going to be in the unfortunate position of being a re-applicant who needs to retake the MCAT . . . which will definitely happen if you have 2 unsuccessful cycles (fingers crossed that's not your situation, but it's best to prepare for the worst and be pleasantly surprised) and waited a year between them.

Agreed, the couple hundred dollars you'll waste is worth saving a whole application cycle if your app is strong enough to apply already in my opinion. I was on wait lists last year and decided to go ahead and send in my application again in June and I ended up getting rejected from those wait lists in mid-August; had I waited, I would've wasted this cycle too

Reactions: 1 user