What's the process for foreign doctors who want to practice in US?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halcyon32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How do doctors who get their MD, or whatever the equivalent is, from another country get to work in the states? Specifically how is the process different from someone who studied in the US?
Also, are there countries/universities not in America that allow you to just come to the US and work as if you studied in the US?

Members don't see this ad.

How do doctors who get their MD, or whatever the equivalent is, from another country get to work in the states? Specifically how is the process different from someone who studied in the US?
Also, are there countries/universities not in America that allow you to just come to the US and work as if you studied in the US?

For the most part, every foreign grad has to participate in the match. There may be some very limited exceptions, but I'm not an insider.

Some foreign schools have been reported to have better chances to match. One I can think of off the top of my head is Sackler in Israel.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the most part, every foreign grad has to participate in the match. There may be some very limited exceptions, but I'm not an insider.

Some foreign schools have been reported to have better chances to match. One I can think of off the top of my head is Sackler in Israel.
In general, the biggest issue is your citizenship/visa status. Outside of that, FMGs can enter the NRMP Match if they fulfil the same requirements as US grads.
I remember reading somewhere that non-citizens didn't have priority when matching. Is that the case? Also, aren't there specific tests that the foreign MD would have to take that the US citizen wouldn't or something similar to that?

I remember reading somewhere that non-citizens didn't have priority when matching. Is that the case? Also, aren't there specific tests that the foreign MD would have to take that the US citizen wouldn't or something similar to that?

Yes, they don't have priority.

They have to pass the USMLE. There may also be a TOEFL requirement.

Yes, they don't have priority.

They have to pass the USMLE. There may also be a TOEFL requirement.
How much more difficult does the process become when you don't have priority?
Thanks for all the info btw!

How much more difficult does the process become when you don't have priority?
Thanks for all the info btw!

I'm not an insider/expert/authority on this matter. This is just some stuff I picked up from reading SDN for a few years, and I absolutely could be wrong.

I would search for "Caribbean match" on these forums to get an idea how much of a disadvantage your average IMG has. While IMG and FMG are different from each other, they are both lower priority in matching into residency programs in the US.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not an insider/expert/authority on this matter. This is just some stuff I picked up from reading SDN for a few years, and I absolutely could be wrong.

I would search for "Caribbean match" on these forums to get an idea how much of a disadvantage your average IMG has. While IMG and FMG are different from each other, they are both lower priority in matching into residency programs in the US.
Thanks a lot!

There aren't any special requirements that I am aware of. When people say "lower priority", what people mean is that there are inherent negatives about going to school outside of the US. Just a couple, non-uniform clinical experience, not working in a US hospital, not spending time with patients in the US, the cultural competency is often different. Program directors will preferentially want US MDs for two reasons. #1 All else being equal they will tend to 'fit' better and be more culturally competent, #2 The proportion of FMGs in a program is seen as a marker of how good a program is.

Reactions: 1 users
There aren't any special requirements that I am aware of. When people say "lower priority", what people mean is that there are inherent negatives about going to school outside of the US. Just a couple, non-uniform clinical experience, not working in a US hospital, not spending time with patients in the US, the cultural competency is often different. Program directors will preferentially want US MDs for two reasons. #1 All else being equal they will tend to 'fit' better and be more culturally competent, #2 The proportion of FMGs in a program is seen as a marker of how good a program is.
Wow, I thought there were a whole bunch of tests and forms and the like. That's good to know. Thank you!

It is very difficult to get matched as a FMG (especially competitive specialties)- don't underestimate it.

Wow, I thought there were a whole bunch of tests and forms and the like. That's good to know. Thank you!

I think you might be underestimating the situation. Sure you don't have to take a bunch of extra tests just the USMLE STEP1, 2CS, 2CK and 3 that all US grads take. That alone can be a huge barrier given language issues, difference in medical education and terms, etc. Even if you pass that hurdle you have to score really well to even be considered for a position in less desirable specialties. There are plenty of stories of people getting high scores on these exams only to be relegated to family medicine, IM, psych or general surgery prelim spots. Most academic programs and competitive specialties would never take a FMG over a US grad. It just looks bad on them. Is it fair? No. Is it how it is? Yes

I think you might be underestimating the situation. Sure you don't have to take a bunch of extra tests just the USMLE STEP1, 2CS, 2CK and 3 that all US grads take. That alone can be a huge barrier given language issues, difference in medical education and terms, etc. Even if you pass that hurdle you have to score really well to even be considered for a position in less desirable specialties. There are plenty of stories of people getting high scores on these exams only to be relegated to family medicine, IM, psych or general surgery prelim spots. Most academic programs and competitive specialties would never take a FMG over a US grad. It just looks bad on them. Is it fair? No. Is it how it is? Yes
Many PD's screen out IMG's before the interview.
Well then, how is the case for international students but US grads? i.e. international students that got their MD from a US school, but is not a citizen or permanent resident?

Well then, how is the case for international students but US grads? i.e. international students that got their MD from a US school, but is not a citizen or permanent resident?
They are limited by the visa that the program is willing to support.
This is one of the reasons that so few schools accept internationals. Their residency outcomes are far less than what might be predicted for similar candidates that are US citizens.

They are limited by the visa that the program is willing to support.
This is one of the reasons that so few schools accept internationals.
What do you mean, exactly? There's only one type of visa for international students: F1. As far as I know at least. Do you mean that some programs just flat out don't accept F1 visa students?

What do you mean, exactly? There's only one type of visa for international students: F1. As far as I know at least. Do you mean that some programs just flat out don't accept F1 visa students?
I am referring to the challenges faced by residencies who need to be willing to support either J1 or H1b visas. Resident physicians are not students (for visa purposes).

I am referring to the challenges faced by residencies who need to be willing to support either J1 or H1b visas. Resident physicians are not students (for visa purposes).
Ooooh right of course. For the most part are residency programs willing to support those visas. I'm sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but you're a wealth of knowledge, thanks a lot

Ooooh right of course. For the most part are residency programs willing to support those visas. I'm sorry I know I'm asking a lot of questions but you're a wealth of knowledge, thanks a lot
There are many programs that do not want to bother.
The ones that do tend to fall into very different camps: the Ivies and the programs that never fill...
A normal international applicant (even from a US school) can expect to go to a relatively undesirable location (or nowhere) unless he/she is a superstar candidate. Over time, this has made the US MD schools more circumspect in their acceptance of international applicants.

There are many programs that do not want to bother.
The ones that do tend to fall into very different camps: the Ivies and the programs that never fill...
A normal international applicant (even from a US school) can expect to go to a relatively undesirable location (or nowhere) unless he/she is a superstar candidate.
Guess I gotta be a superstar candidate. Thanks so much for the info!