PhD/PsyD What’s the shortest psych related position you’ve held?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borne_before

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
A friend for mine is asking.

Members don't see this ad.

the internship year

Hoping this is your friend and everything is going ok at your new job.

I left my first job after < 2 years. But it was a soft money position and and expected to be somewhat temporary. But I left before the money was gone.

I know of ~5 full time clinical colleagues at my current place who left their first jobs between years 1-2 after starting looking for a better fit.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of life is knowing how much juice you have in the situation. Status matters when telling a cop “do you know who I am?!”...

Reactions: 1 user
3 weeks, state-funded Adult Community Clinical Services (look it up, it’s a Massachusetts thing) position focusing on dual-dx. It was a disturbingly high salary for the credentials I had at the time, and I soon found out why. Never burnt out at a job that quickly before.

• Wow
A lot of life is knowing how much juice you have in the situation. Status matters when telling a cop “do you know who I am?!”...

It sounds like you want more information... information.... information....

Members don't see this ad :)
Because Mathew Broderick killled a man with no consequences.

No, no, no.... he killed two WOMEN with no consequences. Makes all the difference!

Last edited:
"Not feeling it" doesn't really cut it, IMHO. Especially if he/she has a family to think about/support.

Its been less than 2 months. Talk to the boss. Make some adjustments. Give it some time. Unless you are being abused, r something. I think this is only fair to the employer as well.

She should have tried it without her spoon....

Because Mathew Broderick killled a man with no consequences. So did Laura Bush.
What we have learned here children is that if you are going to kill someone, do it with a car.

"Not feeling it" doesn't really cut it, IMHO. Especially if he/she has a family to think about/support.

Its been less than 2 months. Talk to the boss. Make some adjustments. Give it some time. Unless you are being abused, r something. I think this is only fair to the employer as well.
What if the friend was baited and switched regarding independence and responsibilities and after addressing the concerns with boss was basically told "deal with it - it's how we've always done things"? What if the friend has got the financial savings and supports, their partner makes enough for them to live on, and they've always wanted their own practice? And also, what if they have the knowledge, skills, experience, vision, to make a go of it. And what if just make sense from a self-determination perspective?

Last edited:
What if the friend was baited and switched regarding independence and responsibilities and after addressing the concerns with boss was basically told "deal with it - it's how we've always done things"? What if the friend has got the financial savings and supports, their partner makes enough for them to live on, and they've always wanted their own practice? And also, what if they have the knowledge, skills, experience, vision, to make a go of it. And what if just make sense from a self-determination perspective?

I think that is all just fine. Especially if you were legitimately deceived or lied to. If you weren't, and just "not digging it" or whatever, I wouldn't just bail after 6 weeks. That would raise alot of questions from future employers, and probably leave a bad taste in the mouth of the current employer.

Where is your contract in all this?

What if the friend was baited and switched regarding independence and responsibilities and after addressing the concerns with boss was basically told "well, it's how we've always done things"? What if the friend has got the financial savings and supports, their partner makes enough for them to live on, and they've always wanted their own practice? And also, what if they have the knowledge, skills, experience, vision, to make a go of it. And what if just make sense from a self-determination perspective?

1) your friend should learn to business phrasing like, “contractual obligations” and “bad faith”. Or talk to an attorney.
2) If your friend is super aggressive in business, he/she should document bad faith acts and seek damages. Because money.
3) if your friend is unaware of these types of things, I would be wary of his/her self assessment of knowledge and skills. I trust someone who says, “I have no idea, so I need to go talk to an accountant, lawyer, etc.” I don’t trust someone who says they know what they are doing while using the wrong terms.

Y'all have some good advice. But my friend already resigned and just wants to put the experience behind them. There are also some borderline ethical/scope of practice issues that we're not amenable to change, without going into specifics.

What if the friend has got the financial savings and supports, their partner makes enough for them to live on, and they've always wanted their own practice? And also, what if they have the knowledge, skills, experience, vision, to make a go of it. And what if just make sense from a self-determination perspective?

Sounds like the perfect time to take this step.

Y'all have some good advice. But my friend already resigned and just wants to put the experience behind them. There are also some borderline ethical/scope of practice issues that we're not amenable to change, without going into specifics.

How long do you plan on keeping up this ruse?

Be ready to explain gaps in work record on every job and credentialing application now.
My friend might say, "It was the height of the COVID pandemic and [my friend] took some time to self-reflect and begin a private practice." Don't think a few weeks or months here and there is a big deal. My friend is already credentialed with every major insurance.

My friend might say, "It was the height of the COVID pandemic and [my friend] took some time to self-reflect and begin a private practice." Don't think a few weeks or months here and there is a big deal. My friend is already credentialed with every major insurance.

Not a big deal, just something you'll have to get used to moving forward.

Never claimed to be the end of the world. It'll just be a minor time-sucking annoyance for you here and there along the way. If the applications are electronic, you can just copy and paste.
I'll make sure my buddy gets the info.

I’ve had several gaps in employment and have never had it questioned. I leave any job less than 6 months (there have been several, yes) off my CV and just pretend they never existed. It’s worked well thus far ;) And once you’ve been working long enough, people will curate their resumes to only include relevant jobs anyways.

I’ve had several gaps in employment and have never had it questioned. I leave any job less than 6 months (there have been several, yes) off my CV and just pretend they never existed. It’s worked well thus far ;) And once you’ve been working long enough, people will curate their resumes to only include relevant jobs anyways.

Just note that if you work at the VA ever you will spend a very long time on your history and need to be very, very, precise and include everything to the month with justifiable explanations.

Just note that if you work at the VA ever you will spend a very long time on your history and need to be very, very, precise and include everything to the month with justifiable explanations.
Yes, my apologies. This is correct not just with VA but with most government-funded jobs. I've been in the private sector for so long I forget haha.

If these are clinical jobs and you leave these off credentialing and job applications, you may be committing fraud, as there is language in most of these that you attest that it is a full accounting for your clinical job history. Also, this would be a good way for an employer to be able to throw you under the bus if a patient ever sues.

If these are clinical jobs and you leave these off credentialing and job applications, you may be committing fraud, as there is language in most of these that you attest that it is a full accounting for your clinical job history. Also, this would be a good way for an employer to be able to throw you under the bus if a patient ever sues.
You’re right. I misread the conversation and thought we were talking about CVS/resumes specifically. If you’re filling out a job app and it asks for a full employment history then absolutely fill it out. OP, when I encounter these situations I just write “left for personal reasons” or “left for financial reasons” in the text box and then further explain in person if it’s brought up during interview.