What's the worst possible mistake you can make at an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Here's the worst possible thing that can happen during your interview.

So you get to your interview. Big school. Fancy. Smart students. Lots of research dollars. You already got into your other top choice (Stanford) and you're just interviewing here for kicks and maybe to get some merit money thrown your way. Weather's great, upper 60s and sunny - a rarity in Boston in late October. You're a stud. You've been turning down top 10 interviews left and right, but you decided to give HMS a shot because why the hell not? Oh, and they paid for your travel and living expenses while on the interview too. Your uncle donated about 3 million big ones to the school a few years back since he's now got an 8 figure cash-only orthopedic spine practice out in LA, so you're on the VIP list, not even to mention your 526 MCAT and 4.0 GPA in astrophysical chemistry from Princeton, where you were the first freshman to publish 3 first author papers in Nature, Science, and NEJM - all in the same month (it was September). Everyone loves you - hell, Jeff Flier wrote your committee letter himself. You see a cute dental student as you're walking into the interview building. You give her a wink and she blushes uncontrollably and scurries away. You generally have this effect on women (and men, come to think of it), so you think nothing of it and keep moving. You enter the room with the other interviewees - you're the last one since you're always fashionably late - and not a single person's jaw doesn't drop. Is it your beautifully sculpted and chiseled face? Or can they see your Rhodes Scholar background in your rippling biceps as you move to take off your imported Armani suit jacket. Yeah, it's probably that, you decide. The attractive young secretary comes to sign you in and give you your interview packet, but she stops for a second as she looks up and sees you. You know instantly she's picturing you naked. After a moment she recovers and hands you the packet. You look inside. A note says you're interviewing with a Dr. Portman. Huh, okay. And it starts in 5 minutes. So you make your way to the interview room. As you do, an attendant offers you a glass of champagne. You down it before the door is fully open, but it doesn't dull your 165 IQ encased within 230 pounds of solid muscle on your 6'3 frame one bit. You see the interviewer. It's Natalie Portman. Hot damn. They must really want you here. You know this, of course. You've always known it. Who wouldn't? You sit your powerful body lightly down on the plush seat with a gentleness borne of years of Olympic gymnastics training. Natalie says she's impressed with your application. It's not every day they get applications from Colonels in the Air Force, let alone ones that were selected for astronaut training. You smile and make to respond, but suddenly, you notice something's wrong. A second year medical student bursts in, his scrubs covered in something that looks like dried blood. "He'-" and the student collapses in a heap, shaking and vomiting so violently he can't get another word out. Instantaneously, you pull out your concealed Desert Eagle. You're a Republican (but socially liberal) and a true American who staunchly supports the constitutional right to bear arms, so you never go anywhere without it. Looks like your freedom is about to pay off. A figure emerges from a doorway and sprints towards you, leaving behind a trail of blood as he does so. Calmly, methodically, you aim and put two shots right into his oral cavity, taking out his medulla and instantly dropping him to the floor - you weren't the best sniper in Delta Force for nothing. You look back to make sure Natalie is okay and are horrified to find the med student biting her arm and clawing viciously at her face. You quickly place a bullet in his abdominal aorta and rush to Natalie - but you're too late - she's been bitten. "I'm sorry" you say as you level your handgun at her and pull the trigger. You were the gatekeeper - you had to stop the spread if humanity to survive. Suddenly, another thought creeps into your mind. You slowly make your way back to the waiting room where the other interviewees were. They're all gone. Nothing remains except for tattered clothes and deep red stains that nearly completely obscure the crimson H embroidered into the velvety carpet. All is quiet. You release the breath you were holding, but the next second you wish you didn't, because what you didn't let go, the blow from the back forced out. You faceplant into the ground and your weapon flies from your grasp. A sharp pain erupts from your right shoulder. You use your unreasonably powerful leg muscles to kick whatever is sitting on your back off and quickly flip around to see what the hell is happening. It's the dean of admissions - but he's not looking so hot. He has several deep gashes down his neck and part of his left ear is missing. Blood is pouring from his nose and mouth, staining his salt and pepper beard. You put a hand to your shoulder and find blood - you've been bitten. You only have a few minutes before you turn, so you scramble for your gun and check your ammunition. One bullet left. Good, that's all you'll need. You turn to face the snarling dean of admissions just as he charges again. But this time you're ready for him and roll with his tackle onto the ground. But he recovers and pounces upon you, pinning you to the ground. You trap him in a bear hug, but your weakened muscles can't push him off. "We haven't finished your interview" he growls as he looks at your face, his mouth frothing and bloody. "Why medicine?". Knowing you only have one choice left, you twist the gun in your hand so that it points straight into the back of his brain. You look him right in the eyes and say "why not". You pull the trigger, and everything goes white.
this for sure rivals panda bear's personal statement story

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
This amazes me. Students who make it to an interview are theoretically intelligent and have good people skills. Why in the world would they think saying "I want to be a doctor cause I like Ferraris" is appropriate?

Reactions: 3 users
Can I ask you something? I'm going to throw out some horrific interview scenarios. I will be shocked if you @gyngyn have actually encountered candidates who do any of the following:

1) Make grossly inappropriate sexual comments about anyone in the room.
2) Flirt with the interviewer.
3) Use racist, homophobic, or sexist slurs.
4) Show up in flip-flops, basketball shorts, wife-beaters, or any variation thereof.
5) Use the phrase "what can you do for me?"
6) Show up drunk/high.
7) "Fist-bump" the interviewer.

I flirted with a interviewer a little bit, this doesn't seem like that bad of a thing to do. Just don't wink and "ask for a complementary physical"

I kind of want to apply to a Carib school and go for an interview just to see how bad I can bomb while still getting accepted. Show up in flip flops and a bathing suit reeking of cheap piña coladas. Maybe take out my phone and play some jimmy buffet music during the interview to set the mood.

We can test Goros theory about having a pulse and a checkbook....

Reactions: 18 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I flirted with a interviewer a little bit, this doesn't seem like that bad of a thing to do. Just don't wink and "ask for a complementary physical"

I kind of want to apply to a Carib school and go for an interview just to see how bad I can bomb while still getting accepted. Show up in flip flops and a bathing suit reeking of cheap piña coladas. Maybe take out my phone and play some jimmy buffet music during the interview to set the mood.

Dude. You'll have to take a hidden camera with you!

I'd pay to see that.

Reactions: 10 users
Out of all the things I've heard of at interviews can't think of anything worse than dropping/calling someone in a room a derogatory terms(think the word that starts with the letter N or C---yes I've heard stories of this happening)

You have to be out of your mind to do something like this..

Reactions: 2 users
I dunno man, I think it generally comes across as lacking respect for the interviewer, the school, and the profession.

Thing is someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt they even have interviews for Caribbean schools!

Reactions: 1 user
Farting.

Reactions: 6 users
I dunno man, I think it generally comes across as lacking respect for the interviewer, the school, and the profession.
lol there are various degrees of flirting. If the two of you are able to have a lot of smiling and eye contact and laughter and an engaging conversation with chemistry, I don't see how wrong that is. You don't hit on them.

Meh, I'm sure in most situations that's how it would come off. In this case she was more hitting on me...She told me I looked sharp in my suit and called me when I got accepted though so it must've worked!

I think that maybe sometimes men mistake being friendly and polite as "flirting."

Reactions: 31 users
I think that maybe sometimes men mistake being friendly and polite as "flirting."

Why would you ever be polite and friendly if you don't want to have sex with them?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Things that have actually happened: lighting up a cigarette in the interview.
Things that have not yet happened: lighting up a joint...
Would the latter be more acceptable :p

Stop. He lit up after you said not to? I think you met a real-life troll gyngyn.
Honestly, sounds like he didn't want to be there, and decided to waste gyngyn's time and his money. He's probably going to get in somewhere too. :shrug:

Do you mean when the other person is being polite and friendly or we think that we are flirting when we're polite and friendly (or both)?

Do you mean when the other person is being polite and friendly or we think that we are flirting when we're polite and friendly (or both)?
As in:
Male: "Nice to meet you I'm Joe."
Female: "Hi Joe" *smiles, makes eye contact and shakes hand* "I'm Jane."
Male: She totally wants me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13 users
Would the latter be more acceptable :p

Honestly, sounds like he didn't want to be there, and decided to waste gyngyn's time and his money. He's probably going to get in somewhere too. :shrug:

Maybe it was a non tobacco cigarette...

Things that have actually happened: lighting up a cigarette in the interview.
Things that have not yet happened: lighting up a joint...
Really?
Well, hey, if the first can happen, given the changing laws towards marijuana, the second maybe happening soon--especially in Colorado.
I'm imagining the interview ending up like something from That 70's Show. LOL JK.

Regardless of his stats, apparently he doesn't realize that this would be inappropriate for an interview at MacDonald's. LOL

I'd imagine that an interviewee who had inadvertently stepped in dog poo and had not yet realized it before going into the interview would have a better chance.

I had a student a few weeks ago who was specifically invited by an MD/PhD director to an informal dinner the night before the UC Davis conference, which also included students currently in the program. After a glass of wine on very tired and empty stomach, she managed to fulfill the first three on the list (she made a somewhat racist joke).

See the ills of having a drink before eating. That's against my religion. lol

Do you get reported/blacklisted for such behavior?
No, but I do like to keep track of which schools are foolish enough not to notice when applicants are ...aberrant.

You only get reported for lying or making credible threats of violence.

Definitely the former.

Actually, no. At least, not on AMCAS.
No, but I do like to keep track of which schools are foolish enough not to notice when applicants are ...aberrant.

You only get reported for lying or making credible threats of violence.

So if he's admitted to a school, you would know? ...Or is it if he's that bad at your interview, he's probably tanked others too?

So if he's admitted to a school, you would know? ...Or is it if he's that bad at your interview, he's probably tanked others too?
There is no evidence that he has been admitted to an LCME accredited school to date.

Here's the worst possible thing that can happen during your interview.

So you get to your interview. Big school. Fancy. Smart students. Lots of research dollars. You already got into your other top choice (Stanford) and you're just interviewing here for kicks and maybe to get some merit money thrown your way. Weather's great, upper 60s and sunny - a rarity in Boston in late October. You're a stud. You've been turning down top 10 interviews left and right, but you decided to give HMS a shot because why the hell not? Oh, and they paid for your travel and living expenses while on the interview too. Your uncle donated about 3 million big ones to the school a few years back since he's now got an 8 figure cash-only orthopedic spine practice out in LA, so you're on the VIP list, not even to mention your 526 MCAT and 4.0 GPA in astrophysical chemistry from Princeton, where you were the first freshman to publish 3 first author papers in Nature, Science, and NEJM - all in the same month (it was September). Everyone loves you - hell, Jeff Flier wrote your committee letter himself. You see a cute dental student as you're walking into the interview building. You give her a wink and she blushes uncontrollably and scurries away. You generally have this effect on women (and men, come to think of it), so you think nothing of it and keep moving. You enter the room with the other interviewees - you're the last one since you're always fashionably late - and not a single person's jaw doesn't drop. Is it your beautifully sculpted and chiseled face? Or can they see your Rhodes Scholar background in your rippling biceps as you move to take off your imported Armani suit jacket. Yeah, it's probably that, you decide. The attractive young secretary comes to sign you in and give you your interview packet, but she stops for a second as she looks up and sees you. You know instantly she's picturing you naked. After a moment she recovers and hands you the packet. You look inside. A note says you're interviewing with a Dr. Portman. Huh, okay. And it starts in 5 minutes. So you make your way to the interview room. As you do, an attendant offers you a glass of champagne. You down it before the door is fully open, but it doesn't dull your 165 IQ encased within 230 pounds of solid muscle on your 6'3 frame one bit. You see the interviewer. It's Natalie Portman. Hot damn. They must really want you here. You know this, of course. You've always known it. Who wouldn't? You sit your powerful body lightly down on the plush seat with a gentleness borne of years of Olympic gymnastics training. Natalie says she's impressed with your application. It's not every day they get applications from Colonels in the Air Force, let alone ones that were selected for astronaut training. You smile and make to respond, but suddenly, you notice something's wrong. A second year medical student bursts in, his scrubs covered in something that looks like dried blood. "He'-" and the student collapses in a heap, shaking and vomiting so violently he can't get another word out. Instantaneously, you pull out your concealed Desert Eagle. You're a Republican (but socially liberal) and a true American who staunchly supports the constitutional right to bear arms, so you never go anywhere without it. Looks like your freedom is about to pay off. A figure emerges from a doorway and sprints towards you, leaving behind a trail of blood as he does so. Calmly, methodically, you aim and put two shots right into his oral cavity, taking out his medulla and instantly dropping him to the floor - you weren't the best sniper in Delta Force for nothing. You look back to make sure Natalie is okay and are horrified to find the med student biting her arm and clawing viciously at her face. You quickly place a bullet in his abdominal aorta and rush to Natalie - but you're too late - she's been bitten. "I'm sorry" you say as you level your handgun at her and pull the trigger. You were the gatekeeper - you had to stop the spread if humanity to survive. Suddenly, another thought creeps into your mind. You slowly make your way back to the waiting room where the other interviewees were. They're all gone. Nothing remains except for tattered clothes and deep red stains that nearly completely obscure the crimson H embroidered into the velvety carpet. All is quiet. You release the breath you were holding, but the next second you wish you didn't, because what you didn't let go, the blow from the back forced out. You faceplant into the ground and your weapon flies from your grasp. A sharp pain erupts from your right shoulder. You use your unreasonably powerful leg muscles to kick whatever is sitting on your back off and quickly flip around to see what the hell is happening. It's the dean of admissions - but he's not looking so hot. He has several deep gashes down his neck and part of his left ear is missing. Blood is pouring from his nose and mouth, staining his salt and pepper beard. You put a hand to your shoulder and find blood - you've been bitten. You only have a few minutes before you turn, so you scramble for your gun and check your ammunition. One bullet left. Good, that's all you'll need. You turn to face the snarling dean of admissions just as he charges again. But this time you're ready for him and roll with his tackle onto the ground. But he recovers and pounces upon you, pinning you to the ground. You trap him in a bear hug, but your weakened muscles can't push him off. "We haven't finished your interview" he growls as he looks at your face, his mouth frothing and bloody. "Why medicine?". Knowing you only have one choice left, you twist the gun in your hand so that it points straight into the back of his brain. You look him right in the eyes and say "why not". You pull the trigger, and everything goes white.

This is the best thing I've ever read

rhpxyp.gif

Why would fist bumping in the interview be a "horrific mistake". Sure, it's a bit unprofessional. But it's a mode of communication that merely has a stigma of immaturity.

I've fist-bumped lab professors before. I say NBD if they are a student interviewer.

@gyngyn might think you're kind of immature for trying to fist-bump him, but I doubt he would automatically reject you.

If an interviewer asks where else did you apply/interview and you are honest and say you have II at 5 other schools and the interviewer becomes uptight after that. Is that a bad sign and tactic even though you were honest? :shrug:

There is no evidence that he has been admitted to an LCME accredited school to date.
Wait, I thought the timeline was schools can't see if you hold an acceptance until February then in April then I can see where. Am I mistaken?

@gyngyn might think you're kind of immature for trying to fist-bump him, but I doubt he would automatically reject you.

Honestly, even if he doesn't write reject on the paper right then, first impressions count. It's been shown most interviewers have their decision made in 90 seconds after meeting an applicant. Obviously all interviewers think they're above that, but few really are. Making a huge faux pas in the first 30 seconds would force you to a giant uphill, unwinnable battle. And I'm being generous in assuming he wouldn't just write reject then and there.

Thing is someone correct me if I'm wrong but I doubt they even have interviews for Caribbean schools!
They do have interviews. Per the guy who sat next to me in organic chemistry the first day this semester and told me he had an interview in Denver for a caribbean school. Funny enough I never saw him again. Maybe they stole his soul along with his money and dignity

I know someone who took a snapchat selfie with the interviewer and made it his story... got rejected in the end

Reactions: 7 users
On the other hand, she has been invited for a formal interview

Hmmm. I also think it's not merely first impressions but cumulative effect of interactions that has impact. ;)

I know someone who took a snapchat selfie with the interviewer and made it his story... got rejected in the end

Ha. I certainly would advise against this. There are times to take pictures and there are times not to take pictures.

This was pre interview while waiting in a meeting room with interviewers/current med students. One of the other people about to be interviewed referred to another school being in "bum **** nowhere". Same applicant went on to challenge another premed to one handed push-ups. I don't remember how many they did but it was odd to say the least.

My own students fist bump me all the time, but I haven't had an applicant fist bump yet.

I haven't read everybody's posts....

Here are some "no no's".

1) Forget to greet / shake hands when you walk in.
2) Lack of good eye contact during the greeting/interview/departure.
3) Having an unpleasant "default facial expression" while the interviewer is speaking
4) checking watch or cell phone
5) mumbling....ums....rambling
6) Not knowing anything about the med school
7) Forget to shake hands/ thank when leaving
8) being rude to any of the support staff while waiting for your interview