What's up with the Scroll Approval?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stormshadow23

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is getting beyond ridiculous. I know the military takes its sweet time, but I was HPSP approved in mid-March and have yet to be Scroll approved. School starts August 2nd and all my recruiter has to say is “any day now”, which he has been saying the last three months. Has anyone else had a similar problem? What if I’m yet to be commissioned when the term begins? I didn’t bother getting loans since I was supposed to have school paid for.

Members don't see this ad.

stormshadow23 said:
This is getting beyond ridiculous. I know the military takes its sweet time, but I was HPSP approved in mid-March and have yet to be Scroll approved. School starts August 2nd and all my recruiter has to say is “any day now”, which he has been saying the last three months. Has anyone else had a similar problem? What if I’m yet to be commissioned when the term begins? I didn’t bother getting loans since I was supposed to have school paid for.

It took me about 3 months. I would not worry too much, but definitely keep an eye out.

To start, all commisions in the Military are Presidential appointments and as such require confirmation by the Senate. About 2 years ago the Attorney General ruled that the approval for commissions could not be delagated below the level of the Secretary of Defense prior to submission to the Senate. We had previously delegated it to the level of the Personnel Chiefs (typically 3 star level). Sooo....each applicant must go through a number of offices where the package is reviewed and forwarded and finally signed by SecDef. Not a short process and typically takes 12 weeks or more. The Navy recently shortened their process but the instruction still quotes 12 weeks at the time to completion. This issue continues to be raised at the highest levels of Navy Medicine (and Army and AF, I'm sure) to minimize the approval time.

It is a pain to wait, but no one in the recruiting process has any control over it.

Members don't see this ad :)
stormshadow23 said:

My scroll was submitted at the end of March and Im still waiting too. I hear it will be any day now. :laugh: By the way, they prorate the scholarship so if we dont get commissioned before school starts then we have to pay for those days. Let me know if and when you hear, 'cuz I start August 1st.

prorated, huh? are we reimbursed for the money we pay the school at this time and the living stipend we're supposed to be recieving from the military or are we just SOL for that period?

It does not end with just being commissioned, folks. I was commissioned in March and my school has yet to receive my official papers saying the military is paying the bill. Until they get those, *I* am still responsible.

The scrolls take a long time. I was accepted for the scholarship in Jan and my name did not come back on the scrolls until May 1st and I was commissioned on May 19th. I had a meeting with the head of HPSP and they said you do not need to pay the bill and the Navy is often late on making any payments or making arrangements. The Navy ends up paying all the late fees. Just one more thing our tax money is going for. Good luck!

cyclegirl said:
The scrolls take a long time. I was accepted for the scholarship in Jan and my name did not come back on the scrolls until May 1st and I was commissioned on May 19th. I had a meeting with the head of HPSP and they said you do not need to pay the bill and the Navy is often late on making any payments or making arrangements. The Navy ends up paying all the late fees. Just one more thing our tax money is going for. Good luck!

That might be true if the school already has the paperwork saying that the Navy is going to pay. They have a copy of my oath, but not the actual contract. My finaid award is still 38,500, and it should only be 18000ish; I was planning on taking out what I am able ($18,000) to pay off bills and such and invest in my business. 6.8% sure beats 12%+, and the current rate for SBA-guaranteed business loans is 14.5% :eek:

Whats up with the scroll approval? I am probably getting my contract in about 2 weeks and school begins August first. They confirmed that they (the Navy) would pay the late fees on tuition/etc. if it occurred but never talked about any scrolls. What are these? (dumb question probably) :oops:

Hello,

I was selected to attend COT in June of 2006. I am supposed to report to Maxwell on August 14th. I still have not received Scroll approval. Got any advice on what I can do to speed up the process? Can I still get comissioned and report to COT with out the Scroll approval?

Thanks!

See above for what the scrolls are. If you have not been scrolled, you cannot be commissioned, you cannot be gained into the system, and you can't go to COT/OBC/OIS. You can't sign your contract, the military can't pay for tuition/fees/books and stipend. Truely a royal pain in the butt. The process takes 12+ weeks. This will probably require an act of Congress to fix. (literally.)

USAF_O said:
Hello,

I was selected to attend COT in June of 2006. I am supposed to report to Maxwell on August 14th. I still have not received Scroll approval, and my recruiter does not know what is going on (when and why). Got any advice on what I can do to speed up the process? Can I still get comissioned and report to COT with out the Scroll approval?

Thanks!

Hey, Seriously, its hurry up and wait (get used to this b/c its a military motto). My name was placed on the scrolls in February. I was approved in mid-April and commissioned mid-May. COT in June was outstanding. It was challenging and very rewarding. Good luck, congrats, just be patient. If you have any further questions feel free to PM me.
Cheers,
Steve