When a school asks for 3 to 5 or 6ish letters, is it better to just send 3 or should you try to meet in the middle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctoscope

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm researching LoR requirements for some schools, and it looks like most schools I'm applying to simply require 3 to 5 or 6 letters, with some also preferring a letter from a clinician. In this case, is it better to just keep it small and send 2 science letters and 1 MD letter (a doctor I worked close with)? Or, is it better to try to meet in the middle and sent maybe 4ish letters (3 academic, 1 MD)?

The doc said he'll write me a strong letter talking about my work ethic, respect for patients, and collegiality with other workers like the nursing staff, so I feel like that could be a good letter to submit, instead of a usual academic letter (since most professors didn't even meet me face to face due to COVID).

Also, are you able to send different sets of letters to different schools? Or are you sending the same set of letters to all the schools you apply to?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Send the number of letters which would be strong. If your 5th (or 6th) letter would still be strong, go ahead and send it. If it would be meh or generic, then don't.

Reactions: 3 users
They want at least three but they don't want to constrain someone who has 3 plus one from a PI and one from a current employer and one from a former employer or internship supervisor who is also a VIP. YMMV

Reactions: 1 users