When can we submit AMCAS for 2017 class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sbook2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When can we submit AMCAS for 2017 class? I am in the process of booking a roundtrip flight and am trying to figure out which MCAT to be back for based on what is the latest test date for 2016 that I can choose that will have its scores released before we can start submitting the AMCAS for the 2017 class. (How about that for a run on sentence?)

Members don't see this ad.

AMCAS will open for you to start working on it in early May. It can be submitted at the start of June. After it is submitted it goes through a long verification process (like 2-6 weeks) before it is able to be sent to schools. They wont start transmitting them to schools until July. Getting scores back by May is ideal for determining your list of schools if you plan to submit at the start of June. Getting them back in June would also not be detrimental.

You can also add schools after you submit it. For example, I got my scores in July and added a couple schools based on that even though it was already transmitted.

Reactions: 1 user
Your goal is to be a MS1 in Fall 2017

Can you take the April 23rd exam?

image.png

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say the absolute latest should be June 18th. The key here is having a score that makes you competitive. If you are not in spring classes, take the April exam, but you better be studying from now until then. If you are in spring classes, do the June exam so you can have time off classes to dedicate at least a month to hardcore studying/practice tests, while probably doing content review during the semester. You can still get the verification process underway on June 1 while studying for the MCAT. The way to work the system is to get verified by applying to some school you probably wouldn't attend, a "throwaway." The moment your scores are in, you can submit to all of your actual schools appropriately. Your practice tests should give you a good indication of where you will end up, so some sort of list should be in the works.

I just came to comment that I love that spongebob profile picture. Summarizes everything about how applying feels to me lol but then again, I love writing.

Because it takes a month to get your score back, and once you learn that, you will be adjusting and finalizing your app list, I would try not to test after May. Before that, you can roughly come up with 2 lists: 1 list for a better than expected score, and 1 list for a lower than expected score. And both lists would include some schools for a score somewhere in between.

Don't forget that you'll be asking for recommendations. I sure wouldn't ask for recommendations for harvard if mcat didn't pan out so great or vice versa.

Opens in may and can submit in June

According to the pre-med calendar on AAMC:
AMCAS opens May 3
AMCAS can be submitted starting June 7
Processed (Verified) AMCAS applications are sent to med schools starting June 24

Reactions: 1 user
Is this timeline the same for early decision applications?

A definite YES

Early decision is a function of the schools you submit to and does not alter the AMCAS processing. They do not process ED noted application in any fast track way.

I also like to advise students that a risk with ED is that you cannot apply to any other schools until a decision is made by the single school you applied to. This is you get rejected, it puts you late in the application cycle when you add additional schools. Please be sure you understand the ED mission of any school you apply to in such fashion. You must make sure that you can show with sufficient evidence in your application you really want the school AND the school really would want you by fulfilling their general and ED missions. It is not simply a case of being outstanding to be accepted via ED. I rarely advise students to do so

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of ED being available? I mean, if ED submissions don't go in any earlier than the other admissions, and ad coms are considering them at the same time that they're considering everyone else, and there's no competitive advantage (except for the fact that, for my first choice school, only in-state and OOS "service area" students are allowed to apply ED, so less competition for ED spots, I guess), then why would anyone limit themselves to only applying to one school? Am I missing something here? I mean, I guess maybe if you've got a 4.0 and a 525 MCAT, but you want to go to your lower tier state school for whatever reason, it might keep your first choice school from kicking you out of the system, but does that *really* happen often?

Ah, grasshopper you do not understand the system. AMCAS is simply a processor. ED is solely a school specific function with timing guidelines from AMCAS. At each school, ED marked applications will go to the top of their internal application system a fast track way.

Ohhhhh.... Yeah, you're right, I definitely don't understand the system. I've got a year of pre-reqs to take before I can even think about applying, after having been out of school for almost nine years, so this is all new to me! But it makes sense that the ED applications don't go to the top of the stack until they get to the school. I'm wondering, though, does that mean they have any substantive priority over regular applications, all other things being equal? Or do schools tend to have a certain number of ED spots that they will fill exclusively from ED applications? I'm just wondering what schools are offering ED applicants in exchange for applying only to once school initially, with the knowledge that conventional wisdom is to apply to medical school early and broadly.

Unless you have very specific and legitimate reasons + are a great applicant and fit for an institution, ED will hurt you…

On the bright side, if you apply ED you get put into a separate verification pile so even in mid-July you get verified in a day xD (this is not a good reason to do ED)

Reactions: 1 users