When did you decide on specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

C5toC9

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
At what point in med school did you decide on your specialty?

I'm assuming most decide in their third year, maybe in the second half.

I'm on my clinical rotations, but still not 100% sure yet.

Members don't see this ad.

At what point in med school did you decide on your specialty?

I'm assuming most decide in their third year, maybe in the second half.

I'm on my clinical rotations, but still not 100% sure yet.

Halfway through my 3rd year after I had gone through every core rotation I was potentially interested in (IM and Surg were in my 1st half)

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a good idea when I started so, I was able to confirm during the summer between M1 and M2. Now half way through third year having done the only other couple specialties that were on my list I consider my decision final.

Seems like a process more than a one day landmark.

I had a list of top 3 when I started med school. The list changed quite a bit during the first 2 years but one specialty was always in top 3 (surgery). Halfway through 3rd year and I've rotated through most core specialties and know enough about most specialties to know that I can only do surgery and nothing else.

I've noticed with my group of friends that their specialty of choice now as 3rd years was always present in their list of top 3/5/10 specialties when we all started med school.

What I'm saying is that if you make a list of top 3 or top 5 specialty of choice when you start med school, you will most likely end up in one of those by the end. No surprises!

I always kind of knew, but had a list of other options and tried to keep my mind open. I've found most rotations are solidifying my reasons for my choice.

I knew going in and never really wavered, although there are a couple of other specialties I had in mind just in case I had a major mindset shift.

Most of my classmates figured it out in third year. Some took until fourth year. There are 1 or 2 who remain unsure and are interviewing for double-board programs + the separate components.

I figured it out about middle of 3rd year. I wound up rotating through my chosen specialty (Anesthesiology) relatively early and loved it, somewhat unexpectedly. I'd gone into the year thinking I'd do medicine or peds. Once I'd rotated through both of those and definitively ruled them out, the decision was absolute.

Was leaning peds middle of second year.

Ruled out surgical specialties in August of 3rd year after watching a 2nd year ortho resident (former D1 football player) leave fracture clinic in tears after getting ripped apart by attendings/chiefs.

Was set on Peds after that until I did IM, then was thinking med/peds, though I when I started filling out ERAS, there were some locations I was really interested in that lacked med/peds residency so I planned to apply straight peds at those places.

August of 4th year I fell in love with the Peds ICU, and with the advice of my med/peds advisor finally was set on straight peds. 3+ years later, I matched into my top choice in the pediatric critical care fellowship match.

It is important to not rule in or rule out a specialty by an interaction like the orthopedics resident. One has to look at what they do day in and day out and whether you would enjoy it after residency. I know IM, pediatrics, family medicine and EM residents who have all cried at some time from an attending tearing into them.

Members don't see this ad :)
It is important to not rule in or rule out a specialty by an interaction like the orthopedics resident. One has to look at what they do day in and day out and whether you would enjoy it after residency. I know IM, pediatrics, family medicine and EM residents who have all cried at some time from an attending tearing into them.

Same here.

And it's not like all surgical subspecialties are the same

Before medical school, knew I wanted to do my top 3, with 1 being heavily favored. I worked hard towards that 1 with rotations, research, ect through all 4 years, so a, I picked that one that was heavily favored. I did do a rotation early in 3rd year as a elective in one of the top 3 and that kinda crossed it off the list (liked IR but hated the reading room).

So, I will say that I probably decided before school started . . . but that is not to say that I didn't have trouble in keeping with that decision.

As a premed I shadowed a physiatrist (PM&R) and loved it. I kept my options open during the first 2 years and really enjoyed the following subjects: Neuro, Ortho, Anatomy, Renal, and Repro/Endo.

It's been hard deciding what I would like since finishing half of 3rd yr clinicals--I liked Ob/Gyn a lot more than I thought I would...but how can you not like delivering babies??? Shortly after my Ob/Gyn rotation, I attended a PM&R conference down in Orlando, and that event swayed me heavily in that direction again. Taking into account the malpractice, financial compensation, lifestyle and subject matter--I'd say PM&R is the most sensible choice for me. :D

I suppose I should clarify - that was the last item that tipped the scales in my assessment of surgical specialties. I was pretty well on the fence from a medical standpoint regarding surgical fields - I was fine in the OR, but it really wasn't anything I needed in order to be happy in my future. And trust me, I've seen plenty of residents cry in my time - this interaction was orders of magnitude beyond a single attending tearing into them. What made it that much more shocking and memorable was that it seemed so grossly out of character for that particular group of residents (several of whom I knew socially before hand).

I certainly agree that focusing on the medicine is important.

i went in to 3rd year pretty open, with only surgery and neuro completely crossed off my list. top 3 were medicine, peds, and family. I considered med/peds if I enjoyed both rotations but ended up extremely disliking medicine. My family rotation was done at an outstanding program and I loved it, but realized that I really didn't like interacting with the elderly population. So the decision was easy...peds! I decided for sure after i finished my medicine rotation (ended in mid november). Through peds I can still make my way in to cardiology, which I love. However id be happy as a general pediatricin as well... I could also see myself enjoying pysch/adolescent psych, and I know there are those double-boarded programs in peds and adolescent psych, which would be pretty cool. Makes more sense than soemthing like med/peds. I do psych next, so well see!

RySerr - I remember you from the MCAT threads since we took it the same day and of course I have no idea what you look like, but every time I see one of your posts, I imagine you look like the guy in your avatar LOL

As for the OP, I still have no idea what I want to do :( I'm in the middle of third year and I've liked everything (wouldn't say "love" have felt very strongly about everything) so I don't know :( :( I just want to belong! lol

I've always been interested in anesthesia, but I guess I didn't actually completely decide on it until my week of anesthesia at the start of third year.

RySerr - I remember you from the MCAT threads since we took it the same day and of course I have no idea what you look like, but every time I see one of your posts, I imagine you look like the guy in your avatar LOL

haha, i wish that was me. he is such a bad ass.

I've always been interested in anesthesia, but I guess I didn't actually completely decide on it until my week of anesthesia at the start of third year.

how did you get a week of anesthesia in the start of 3rd year? you guys have it as part of your core 3rd year rotations or you happened to have an elective time in the beginning?

how did you get a week of anesthesia in the start of 3rd year? you guys have it as part of your core 3rd year rotations or you happened to have an elective time in the beginning?
We have 3 months of surgery, one of which is a week of each ENT, ortho, urology, and anesthesia. I just had my surgery rotation first. I also did a decent amount with the anesthesia residents and CRNAs during my actual surgery months.

We have 3 months of surgery, one of which is a week of each ENT, ortho, urology, and anesthesia. I just had my surgery rotation first. I also did a decent amount with the anesthesia residents and CRNAs during my actual surgery months.

thats a hella of a lot of surgery

Indeed, but I prefer that to having more primary care, especially since it gets people at least a little exposure to surgical subspecialties and anesthesia.

Indeed, but I prefer that to having more primary care, especially since it gets people at least a little exposure to surgical subspecialties and anesthesia.

eh, to each their own i guess. i feel like we don't have enough primary care. and at least at my school all of the primary care rotations are watered down with BS assignments and mandatory lectures that pull you away from the actual practice of primary care.

I'm actually surprised more schools don't do something like we do with a sort of sampler month for surgery. Going without it is pretty unfair to students, in my opinion. How are you supposed to make an educated decision on a career if you haven't at least been exposed to most things? I think that'd benefit most people a lot more than an extra week or two of peds or family or whatever here and there, even if it did nothing more than confirm that there really isn't anything in surgery they could ever see themselves doing. An extra week of family...well, it's more clinic. That doesn't tell you a whole lot if you've already had 4-5 weeks. I'm not saying you get a good feel for any specialty in a week, because you definitely don't. It's enough time to pique interest, though, and that's really all you need.

I'm actually surprised more schools don't do something like we do with a sort of sampler month for surgery. Going without it is pretty unfair to students, in my opinion. How are you supposed to make an educated decision on a career if you haven't at least been exposed to most things? I think that'd benefit most people a lot more than an extra week or two of peds or family or whatever here and there, even if it did nothing more than confirm that there really isn't anything in surgery they could ever see themselves doing. An extra week of family...well, it's more clinic. That doesn't tell you a whole lot if you've already had 4-5 weeks. I'm not saying you get a good feel for any specialty in a week, because you definitely don't. It's enough time to pique interest, though, and that's really all you need.

Voice of reason, finally. Now, can we please do away with 3-4 months or more of Family Medicine (PCOM, I'm looking at you).

agreed!

Whoa...How do they justify that, again?

It's a DO school. Need I say more?

Granted, these 3-4 months are over the course of 3rd and 4th year but still.

Ugh. I had only one month.

I decided on IM after inpatient medicine. I loved it. Interestingly, I was scared crapless of the ICU (vents specifically) and now as a PGY2 absolutely LOVE the ICU.

We have 6 weeks of family medicine 3rd year and then another 4 weeks of mandatory family med during ms4. We also have about 6 weeks of outpatient internal med during ms3....I honestly don't understand what they expect us to get from so much outpatient.

Always had an interest in surgery, then I rotated through it and loved it. Then I rotated through everything else and didn't love it nearly as much.

Voice of reason, finally. Now, can we please do away with 3-4 months or more of Family Medicine (PCOM, I'm looking at you).
ugh, that's awful. So useless too, IMO. The outpatient setting was always the lowest yield for me as a student.

MS-3, had 2 months ambulatory (FP and IM), MS-4 had 1 month ambulatory.

I never spent an elective/selective doing clinics. Best decision ever. Did a lot of inpatient. I think it helped jumpstart me for intern year (mostly).

I came in thinking surgery. Liked it, but it wasn't earth-shattering for me when I rotated thru it. Loved the OR. Did a rotation in anesthesia and liked it a lot, as well. Spent the entire 3rd/4th year trying to decide. Applied to both, matched anesthesia and I've been damn happy. I'd been happy in surgery, as well. To me, either was better than FP, IM, EM, OB, etc.

the reality is that you arent going to be exposed to everything, there just isn't enough time. at my school we have 8 weeks of surgery...2-3 (maybe 4, i havent had it yet) of those weeks are dedicated to the subspecialties ( you can do ortho, ENT, urology, etc). So we do get exposure to those fields.

A lot of peeps end up doing anesthesia as an elective during 4th year b/c its a really chill rotation.

We have 6 weeks of family medicine 3rd year and then another 4 weeks of mandatory family med during ms4. We also have about 6 weeks of outpatient internal med during ms3....I honestly don't understand what they expect us to get from so much outpatient.

we get 4 weeks of family med, and 4 of ambulatory..but at least for us, half of those 4 weeks for each rotation are not spent in clinic, they are spent elsewhere doing BS stuff. We have no other requirements in the 4th year regarding primary care. Theyve actually talked about getting rid of the family med rotation completely, and have had it in the past where it wasnt a set rotaiton. What the students did was go half a day each week to a family med clnic, regardless of rotation.

I'm not opposed to the family medicine rotation. I did learn a lot there and my attending was great, but there is a point that it is just overkill. I should've mentioned that in addition to all those those things, we go to an assigned primary care physician every Wednesday morning. The idea is to see the same patients 2 or 3 times through the year and how they change. They give us tons of crap that we have to transfer the patient info over to. Wednesday afternoon is a lecture about some topic that usually isn't applicable to what I'm doing at that time or has minimal new information.

When you factor in that Wednesday morning thing, it is an additional month of family medicine/primary care for me. That is like 4 months worth of HTN, DM, cholesterol with a few things thrown in to mix it up.

I'm not opposed to the family medicine rotation. I did learn a lot there and my attending was great, but there is a point that it is just overkill. I should've mentioned that in addition to all those those things, we go to an assigned primary care physician every Wednesday morning. The idea is to see the same patients 2 or 3 times through the year and how they change. They give us tons of crap that we have to transfer the patient info over to. Wednesday afternoon is a lecture about some topic that usually isn't applicable to what I'm doing at that time or has minimal new information.

When you factor in that Wednesday morning thing, it is an additional month of family medicine/primary care for me. That is like 4 months worth of HTN, DM, cholesterol with a few things thrown in to mix it up.

Apparently, the "overkill" definition varies school by school. Like you, I'm not opposed to family med either. And I would be perfectly happy learning a ton from 2 months of family med. But nope, PCOM has to have 2 months of urban FM and 1 month of rural FM in 4th year, on top of the 6 weeks of FM in 3rd year.

I guess it will be easy hours so I shouldn't complain. But here we are, ha!

Wanting relationships with families and providing long-term care, I decided on Family Medicine when I decided to go to medical school.

- Came into third year thinking I would hate medicine and would end up in some sort of surgical subspecialty (already had ruled out general surgery for some reason), most likely Ortho or Urology.
- Rotated through medicine and surprisingly LOVED it. We're allowed to do a couple weeks in a fellowship of our choosing - I did one in gastroenterology and fell in love with it. I pretty much decided that if I were to do IM I would do either GI or Cardiology. Did a few things with cardio - although I enjoyed it, I didn't really like it as much as GI.
- Did a urology rotation - liked the diagnostics, didn't like the surgery part, which surprised me thoroughly.
- Started surgery... as it turns out, I actually hate the OR a lot more than I thought I would. I found that despite my general dislike of the lifestyle for gen surg, I liked the general surgery diseases and physiology the most - which probably just reinforces my like for GI since that's mostly what they deal with anyway. I was incredibly surprised.

Other things that went into my decision:
- I don't like the culture of surgery. Too much hierarchy, hours suck, and I feel like while we worked *with* the residents in IM, we're basically there to do the *****work of the residents in Surgery.
- I like long term followup with my patients
- I like procedures, but I prefer if they aren't hours and hours long.

At this point I'm halfway through the year.

Ultimately: decided that I'm going to go into Internal Medicine and do a fellowship in Gastroenterology.

Not sure if troll?

nah she's legit[imately ridiculous]

anyway, cool thread everyone. good reading for someone like me who starts MS3 in eight weeks and is still pretty conflicted about this issue :thumbup:

Definitely wish I had known earlier, would be much easier to plan