When did you decide to enter private practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PatsyStone

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As medical students and residents, we are primarily only exposed to academics, and I imagine more people intend on going into academics when they start residency than when they finish.

So, I was curious if any of you thought you were going to go into academics when you started residency but later changed your mind. If so, when did you make this decision? In your own experience, did most people in your program change their minds, or did they have a clear idea of their career trajectory from day one?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hmm, maybe I should rephrase.

In my head, I've thought of academic medicine as giving me an opportunity to keep doing clinical research and to help people. It would give me a purpose, and an ability to be an expert. Dose this seem like rose-tinted glasses? Did anyone with similar thoughts have a change of mind and realize that they could find career satisfaction in PP?

Hmm, maybe I should rephrase.

In my head, I've thought of academic medicine as giving me an opportunity to keep doing clinical research and to help people. It would give me a purpose, and an ability to be an expert. Dose this seem like rose-tinted glasses? Did anyone with similar thoughts have a change of mind and realize that they could find career satisfaction in PP?

The problem with this is that money talks and most residents leave for the greener (literally) pastures of private practice. It's why program directors roll their eyes inwardly because despite what most applicants promise, most of them will end up in private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering how long it would take for someone other than the OP to finally answer. lol. It's been a while since I've worn those rose-colored glasses, good times.

Yeah, I think you do have rose-tinted glasses, @PatsyStone. As an academic professor going up the time-limited tenure ladder, you're going to have a lot more responsibility on your plate, than just teaching residents and medical students (which probably doesn't even carry the greatest weight for tenure), depending on what specific track you are on, and you'll be expected to publish in journals and participate in other extra academic/med school ****, as you will go up yearly? for tenure review with the medical school, when you move up from Instructor -> Assistant Professor -> Associate Professor -> Professor, as well as the daily clinical responsibility you already have.

The reason derm residents don't stay in academia is because for 3 years you're exposed to the daily BS of academic medicine: faculty that are hard ***es some of whom are miserable to residents and can't stand eachother, politics pervading nearly everything of significance that affects the residency - funding, choosing residents, etc., meetings meetings meetings, setting up for conferences, etc. After doing nearly 8 years of doing what other people want us to do (med school & residency), once we finally get to the point where we can make our own decisions, most would choose the path of making nearly 50% more in private practice with a better work-life balance. I don't know one person who went into private practice who regrets it, and you can always go back into academics if you truly don't like it.

I think whether you choose academics has a lot to do with your specific residency program. If you have teaching faculty who actively and positively mentor you to pursue it, you'll see much more of the positives and might stay in academics. I've also seen people who finish derm residency plus a fellowship, and then work in academics but bail after a few years or even after a decade or two. The temptation of being your own boss and making your own decisions, making much more money than you would ever make in academics, etc. is just too great, and it's going to be even more the case with the amount of debt we all have. Unless you're a glutton for punishment, and in Dermatology there are many (not just derm research fellows) eventually you want to get off the hamster wheel and actually start enjoying life.

Reactions: 1 user