When do Medical Schools look at GPA, and how do they look at it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterMolecules

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering how and when medical schools look at your GPA. I'm going to apply to medical school in the spring semester of junior year once I complete my MCAT. My question is, when I do this, I will submit a transcript that has grades up to that semester. What about the senior year grades? Will they consider those at all? Or will they base their decision solely on the grades I have submitted, and then look at the later grades to see if it's consistent/relatively good? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

You will not have any senior grades before you submit your applications. Most people will update schools with their Senior grades if they think it will help them.

Update? So would that mean send it to them after you've submitted the application? Or just do the application after senior year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well that depends on when you hope to start med school. If you apply after junior year then they will use your grades up to that point. If you apply after senior year they will use your final transcript. Sometimes, if you apply after junior year and there are concerns, schools will ask for your 7th semester grades before they make any decisions at all!

Well that depends on when you hope to start med school. If you apply after junior year then they will use your grades up to that point. If you apply after senior year they will use your final transcript. Sometimes, if you apply after junior year and there are concerns, schools will ask for your 7th semester grades before they make any decisions at all!

If I apply at the end of senior year, will I have to wait a year before going to that medical school (assuming I get accepted)?

Alright that makes sense, and this would also apply to DO schools, as well, correct. I'm kind of skeptical about applying at the end of senior year, but I think that's the best option in my situation.

Alright that makes sense, and this would also apply to DO schools, as well, correct. I'm kind of skeptical about applying at the end of senior year, but I think that's the best option in my situation.
Yes. In short, you fill out application during the summer months, interview season is around Sept - March and you matriculate in the fall. The entire process is a year (or longer, with waitlists)

You said you wanted to apply in the spring of your junior year. If spring is Jan-April/May at your school, then you would be way too late to apply. You can submit your application in June, and the deadline is sometime in the fall (depending on the school).

Usually schools will use your GPA up to when you applied to determine whether to interview you and then will ask for senior year grades when you have them.

Reactions: 1 user
You said you wanted to apply in the spring of your junior year. If spring is Jan-April/May at your school, then you would be way too late to apply. You can submit your application in June, and the deadline is sometime in the fall (depending on the school).

Usually schools will use your GPA up to when you applied to determine whether to interview you and then will ask for senior year grades when you have them.

Yeah, usually the deadline is october/november for submitting the application for many medical schools, I've noticed.

Also, say I apply at the end of junior year to a school, but don't make it. But then I apply again after my senior year to that same school. Will reapplying hurt my chances? Does it still show that I got rejected once and am re-applying?

Usually with both eyes. Sometimes with one. Maybe even with none!

Yeah, usually the deadline is october/november for submitting the application for many medical schools, I've noticed.

Also, say I apply at the end of junior year to a school, but don't make it. But then I apply again after my senior year to that same school. Will reapplying hurt my chances? Does it still show that I got rejected once and am re-applying?

Yes they will see you are a reapplicant, although I'm not sure if the only schools that know you are a reapplicant are the ones you applied to in the previous cycle. It won't hurt your chances if you show that you substantially improved your application. If you didn't improve your app that much, it will definitely hurt you.

Yes they will see you are a reapplicant, although I'm not sure if the only schools that know you are a reapplicant are the ones you applied to in the previous cycle. It won't hurt your chances if you show that you substantially improved your application. If you didn't improve your app that much, it will definitely hurt you.
Technically, if you did not apply to a specific school and did not fill out their secondary, you would not be considered a reapplicant at that institution. However, @LizzyM said something about there being a box that only first-time applicants have checked, and that if it is empty, she automatically assumes reapplicant into the AMCAS pool, not necessarily at her specific school.

Reactions: 1 user