When do we have to decide a school by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OncePreDent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I put a deposit down at a few schools; I was wondering if anyone knew when we have to make a decision by. Is it March 1st? I've seen a few things about it and just wanted to make sure. Any help is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, March 1st. And I believe you’ll have 15 days after that to fully decide. The schools will notify you of this. Here’s the info: ADEA AADSAS® Guidelines for Dental Schools When Extending Offers of Admission
If we've been accepted recently but haven't put a deposit down at the second school does that still count as holding a position?

Also, in reference to your link and the point about holding multiple positions at different schools, are the a,b,c,d in order or are the dental schools able to skip right to option d. and just rescind the offer?

Members don't see this ad :)
If we've been accepted recently but haven't put a deposit down at the second school does that still count as holding a position?

Also, in reference to your link and the point about holding multiple positions at different schools, are the a,b,c,d in order or are the dental schools able to skip right to option d. and just rescind the offer?
I dont think so, since holding a position would require action by your part, but i could be wrong.

I don't think a school would rescind it immediately, they want you to attend, so they should give you short notice to decide. But I would expect them to annoy you until that deadline hits.

Hey all! I put a deposit down at a few schools; I was wondering if anyone knew when we have to make a decision by. Is it March 1st? I've seen a few things about it and just wanted to make sure. Any help is appreciated!
Here's the quote from the ADEA link you need:
  • Applicants Holding Positions at Multiple Institutions. Dental schools participating in ADEA AADSAS will report to ADEA AADSAS by March 1 the names of candidates who hold a position in their entering class. After March 5, ADEA AADSAS will report to each institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. (Only names are reported with no other additional information.) The process for candidates holding multiple positions is as follows:
    1. Dental schools with candidates holding multiple positions on March 1 of the year of admission will contact such candidates and give them a minimum 15-day notice to affirm their position in the class or to withdraw their position.
    2. If the candidate does not respond within the allotted notification time frame, the dental school may choose to withdraw the candidate from the entering class.

Reactions: 1 users
I received the decision email on march 1st; it was a really friendly email that said I have 15 days to make a decision. I'm letting the other programs I have deposits down/interview invites/waitlists know that I am going elsewhere for dental school this weekend. I'm sure there will be a lot of movement on the waitlist over March

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
I received the decision email on march 1st; it was a really friendly email that said I have 15 days to make a decision. I'm letting the other programs I have deposits down/interview invites/waitlists know that I am going elsewhere for dental school this weekend. I'm sure there will be a lot of movement on the waitlist over March
From ADEA? I thought it isn’t reported to schools until March 5th?