when do you need your letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ithinkimdiffrnt

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
when do you need all of your LORs?

im waiting on one letter writer to finish the letter, but can i submit my primary if the letters are due later on in the summer?

do i have to do the amcas letter service, or can i just use my interfolio service?

help me out
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Here is my understanding:

LORs are not part of the primary application. As long as you have all the stuff on your AMCAS filled in and your transcripts sent to AAMC, you can hit submit and you'll have a completed primary application transmitted to the schools once it's been verified.

However, the vast majority of schools will not consider you for interview without your secondary application being completed (Vanderbilt being the only exception I've heard of, they send interview invites before seeing LORs). Your secondary application will not be considered complete until LORs are in.

Here is my understanding:

LORs are not part of the primary application. As long as you have all the stuff on your AMCAS filled in and your transcripts sent to AAMC, you can hit submit and you'll have a completed primary application transmitted to the schools once it's been verified.

However, the vast majority of schools will not consider you for interview without your secondary application being completed (Vanderbilt being the only exception I've heard of, they send interview invites before seeing LORs). Your secondary application will not be considered complete until LORs are in.

Vanderbilt only sends you a secondary if you get an interview... but they don't review your lor when determining whether or not you get a secondary.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it advisable to wait until secondaries are sent to attach letters to medical schools? It seems that some schools have certain requirements that aren't made clear until the secondary is sent. For example, some schools have different science letter requirements and max letter limits.

I'm having a similar problem. I want to submit my secondaries, but I'm waiting on a committee letter. It seems like some of the schools send out interview invites early, and I'm worried waiting for the LOR will delay an interview. Is this a common problem?

I'm having a similar problem. I want to submit my secondaries, but I'm waiting on a committee letter. It seems like some of the schools send out interview invites early, and I'm worried waiting for the LOR will delay an interview. Is this a common problem?
It doesn't matter. As soon as you get your secondary, get it done and sent. Whenever the LORs come in, they'll just put it in with the secondary and you'll be complete. Don't wait on the letters, just get the secondaries done and worry about the LORs after.

when do you need all of your LORs?

im waiting on one letter writer to finish the letter, but can i submit my primary if the letters are due later on in the summer?

do i have to do the amcas letter service, or can i just use my interfolio service?

help me out
thanks

LORs suck. I am in the same exact situation. I am waiting on one letter writer to finish up, and then I need the committee letter after that. I've already sent a thank you note on the day it was "due," and after two weeks had passed, an update e-mail. Still nothing. Not even a reply to the e-mail saying "yes sorry I will take care of it this weekend." Grrrrr......