When does health insurance coverage begin?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madden007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Friends,

My residency is stated to start July 1st. I know we are not expected to get paid until about 6-8 (weeks) after start of residency. However, does anyone know when health insurance coverage begin for the primary individual and the spouse?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
6-8 MONTHS?
What kind of sweatshop did you match into???

But in answer to your question, just call HR and ask. It should be immediate, but if they really hold out on paying you for half a year (or for that matter, even a month and a half) there may be some variations from one program to the next.

Members don't see this ad :)
We get paid twice a month, and we are always one pay period behind, so it is four weeks before new residents see any pay. The good news is that our resident’s union negotiated “gap coverage” so they don’t have to get through 6 months’ probation before their health coverage kicks in.

It is amazing how much the world doesn’t revolve around trainees. They are the round pegs than get pounded into the existing square holed system. I know it is our job to be quixotic enough to try and modify the system, but administrators are very talented at making arguments as to why existing policies are immutable.

Reactions: 1 user
I think most programs start coverage when you start work.