General Admissions & OTCAS When Does OTCAS Open For Summer/Fall 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

failureisnotfatal

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Forgive me if this is a very stupid question, but I am currently a junior in college. After this Spring semester ends, I will be a senior. I'm graduating in Spring 2015. I'm planning to go to OT school right after I graduate. So I will be applying to OT school for Summer or Fall 2015. I am planning on starting my application at the end of this summer(Summer 2014) or at the beginning of the fall (Fall 2014). So when does OTCAS open up for the Summer/Fall 2015 admission cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

I know it opens for 2014/2015 some time in July. I strongly suggest getting your application in early, as I did not and they ended up losing one of my transcripts. I missed two school deadlines because I didn't do otcas early enough to avoid the problem. Luckily the schools worked with me, but it was a terrible process.

I know it opens for 2014/2015 some time in July. I strongly suggest getting your application in early, as I did not and they ended up losing one of my transcripts. I missed two school deadlines because I didn't do otcas early enough to avoid the problem. Luckily the schools worked with me, but it was a terrible process.

Yes, but does 2014/2015 include Summer 2015 as well, that's the part that was confusing me. lol. I mean, it would seem like it would I think. Like you said, it's good to get the application in early and that's what i'm trying to do, that's why I ask because it's definitely good to get it in early.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, but does 2014/2015 include Summer 2015 as well, that's the part that was confusing me. lol. I mean, it would seem like it would I think. Like you said, it's good to get the application in early and that's what i'm trying to do, that's why I ask because it's definitely good to get it in early.
I think I'm misunderstanding your question. Why would you need summer 2015? Is that when the deadline is for the school you're applying to? That would be a very late deadline.

I think I'm misunderstanding your question. Why would you need summer 2015? Is that when the deadline is for the school you're applying to? That would be a very late deadline.

Yes. Some programs start in Summer 2015 that I am applying to and some of them start in Fall 2015. I am a junior in undergrad now. I plan to apply to OT programs at the beginning of my senior year (August 2014). I will begin senior year in Fall 2014(September 2014) and finish senior year in Spring 2015(May 2015). Then I plan on going directly to an OT program. Some of them begin right after I graduate, like in June or July of 2015. Others don't begin until the next school year, which is like September 2015. But I just want to know when OTCAS opens so I can apply as early as possible. If it opens in June or July of 2014, then I may just apply then and not wait until August or September 2014.

@failureisnotfatal Otcas doesn't differentiate between when programs start. It opens in July and stays open for the extent of the application cycle. So, the 2014-2015 cycle includes from July 2014 through some time in spring 2015. You can, however, submit yours in July and then add schools to your list later on. You just can't change the content of your application once it's submitted. So basically the start date of your program doesn't matter as much as when the application deadline is.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when is the best time to apply August or September?

Does anyone know when is the best time to apply August or September?

I think it's always best to shoot for earlier rather than later. That being said, I don't think any of my schools even looked at my application until September, and at least two of my schools were rolling admissions. If you think your application will be stronger by waiting a month, than I would say September. Otherwise, I would shoot for August.

[EDIT] I just wanted to remind you that once you've submitted your application, I don't think you can edit it with the exception of the academic update. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off of memory.) So, if you are applying to schools that have other deadlines, make sure you have all the courses/hours/info for them too before you submit.

I think it's always best to shoot for earlier rather than later. That being said, I don't think any of my schools even looked at my application until September, and at least two of my schools were rolling admissions. If you think your application will be stronger by waiting a month, than I would say September. Otherwise, I would shoot for August.

[EDIT] I just wanted to remind you that once you've submitted your application, I don't think you can edit it with the exception of the academic update. (Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm going off of memory.) So, if you are applying to schools that have other deadlines, make sure you have all the courses/hours/info for them too before you submit.
Ok I'm just making sure my grade point average is a 3.0 or higher. Otcas calculates grade point average differently however I've taken 17 credits since after I applied. I'm trying to get my grade point average to a 3.0 or higher. I'm taking 18 credits this summer. I know crazy but I want to be an occupational therapist so bad. So waiting to mid August is too late or early September?

Hello! I realize it's been a while since anyone has posted in this.. But for those of you who have applied already in recent years, when do you submit your transcripts... OTCAS opens mid July but, can I submit transcripts now so that it will get to OTCAS on time when it opens? Or should I wait for it to open and then submit.

You should wait to send the transcripts because you have to include a paper from OTCAS to be sent in the envelope with your transcripts. You'll see the link to print this paper on OTCAS when you enter in your school info on your account. :)

You should wait to send the transcripts because you have to include a paper from OTCAS to be sent in the envelope with your transcripts. You'll see the link to print this paper on OTCAS when you enter in your school info on your account. :)

Thank you!

Last edited: