(When) does size of Irish graduating class DOUBLE?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BarryK

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
(When) does size of graduating class DOUBLE?

I have seen articles on the Internet stating that the size of the graduating class will double...

- for Irish Medical Schools
http://www.imt.ie/news/2010/08/taking-on-the-clinical-lead.html

This article is an interview with the Irish CEO of the Health Service, who says that the current number (of Irish graduates) is 300, but it will be 650 (per year) in 2 years time. That is more than a double.

"Very different challenge. Overall, however, Prof Drumm warned that while the country was currently challenged with the issue of a significant shortage of NCHDs across the country, over the next few years we will have a very different challenge; how to employ the number of doctors we produce. “We are moving from having just over 300 [310] Irish or EU graduates per year to next year having about 470. The following year it will be about 520, and the year after that about 650 Irish and EU graduates. This doesn’t take account of the number of Irish people who are training in Europe, in overseas medical schools. So there is a huge challenge in terms of how we utilise that resource.”
This increase in graduates can mean only one thing in Prof Drumm’s eyes: we will have to look at altering how we employ doctors in hospitals, with more long-term employment below consultant level, and in primary care."
This Irish Doctor is stating flat-out that this will mean "long-term employement below the consultant level in (Irish) hospitals" - is this the general consensus?

- for all Canadian Students studying abroad, will double in the next 5 years

This article is an interview with the head of the caRMS match (Sandra Banner), who says
"The number of Canadians studying medicine outside of Canada has *** more than doubled *** in the last five years and a number of them may never get the opportunity to continue their training and to practice at home."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/02/22/canadian-students-medicine-overseas.html

=====================
So my questions is :

- Does anyone have numbers on the MedSChool sizes in Ireland to back up the Irish article about Graduating class increasing from 300 to 650 in 2 years time? Is this because of addition of the 4 year program (in addition to the 5/6) or what? For example, how many students are in first year in Irish schools now, and how many graduated this year year?

- Would we expect the success rate of matching back to Canada roughly fall by half over this period (assuming the # of positions available stays constant)?
============================================
Note: Please don't "shoot the messenger here" - I am just trying to find out what should be a basic fact, is this graduating class of Med Students in Ireland (total students, and Canadians only) expected to double in the next few years as stated in these articles or not? Perhaps a student at one of the schools knows the count of first year students (4 yr and 5/6 year) vs final year students.

Members don't see this ad.

Interesting questions! I'm curious, as well, even though I'm in the US. I've read various articles over the years which indicate that there will be shortages of physicians in certain fields as the baby boomers transition into their retirement years. However, I've seen research articles indicating a general maldistribution versus an actual shortage. Regardless, this is interesting news for the Irish medical system and for future students thinking of Ireland for their medical education.

The AAMC put out a huge article about that shortage. They make a pretty convincing argument that there will be a significant shortage by 2025, a big factor being the boomers. One of the main arguments made by this article was that we cannot assume that we will be able to make the health care system more efficient. Rather we must work under the assumption that inefficiencies will continue and predict the need for doctors from there. Up here in Canada government policy analysts always have these rosy visions of adding efficiencies to the health care system, but reality never quite meets their expectations. Thus, arguing that it is just maldistribution is beside the point. We haven't fixed the maldistribution and inefficiencies of thirty years ago, so how we will fix them in the next thirty years? Anyway, i could go on forever about this. Point is there will be a shortage, and even in the U.S. there will not be enough domestic med school grads. Now residencies is another issue...