When Exactly Does ERAS Open For Submission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Harrison486

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

When exactly does ERAS open for submission? I know Sept. 1st is the magical day, but does it open at a specific time?

I was planning on having everything ready and submitting before I went in to the hospital on Sept. 1st, but recently someone made a comment about staying up until midnight the night before, so that they could submit ASAP.

Is it really possible to submit on 12:01AM September 1st? Is there any purpose or advantage in sending it in then rather than say 8:00AM?

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

when exactly does eras open for submission? I know sept. 1st is the magical day, but does it open at a specific time?

I was planning on having everything ready and submitting before i went in to the hospital on sept. 1st, but recently someone made a comment about staying up until midnight the night before, so that they could submit asap.

Is it really possible to submit on 12:01am september 1st? Is there any purpose or advantage in sending it in then rather than say 8:00am?

no

soooooooooooooooooo

can we begin submitting at midnight? or do we begin at 8am EST? :D

Hey everyone,

When exactly does ERAS open for submission? I know Sept. 1st is the magical day, but does it open at a specific time?

I was planning on having everything ready and submitting before I went in to the hospital on Sept. 1st, but recently someone made a comment about staying up until midnight the night before, so that they could submit ASAP.

Is it really possible to submit on 12:01AM September 1st? Is there any purpose or advantage in sending it in then rather than say 8:00AM?

I would send it in at 12:01 AM. I think some schools download applications and offer interviews between 12:01 and 8 AM. You sure don't want to miss interviews because you submitted late. Or maybe I'm just being sarcastic.

It's a simple question with A supposedly simple answer. Seemingly enough, those answering are incapable of writing any sort of cohesive and clear response. If u don't know or don't care there is always the option of not responding.:D

OP. Sept 1st at 12PM EST is when you can start applying to programs on ERAS. I hope this helps.

this is really going a step beyond neurotic...

It's a legitimate question. There are many reasons to want to submit as early as possible. In fact, some medical schools actually require their students to submit on 9/1.

i would make fun of the OP for asking the question but i'd be lying if i didn't wonder the same thing myself...moreso because I just want this load off my shoulders..and clearly 300+ viewers of this thread wondered the same thing, too so lets not be too harsh on the OP!

Since everyone here was so helpful, I decided to contact ERAS directly. Here was there response:

"In order to apply to programs tomorrow, you will have to certify and submit your MyERAS application. Applying to programs and submitting your applications are two different things. You can certify and submit your application whenever you have completed filling out your MyERAS application and you are confident that the information you enter is accurate and free of omissions. You can do this by going to the Application/Home tab and clicking Submit your Application. Keep in mind that once you have certified and submitted your application, you will not be able to go back and make any changes. This means any information you enter in the Application sub-tabs (e.g. General, Education, Medical Education, etc).

The ERAS PostOffice will open tomorrow at 8am EST for applicants to begin applying to allopathic residency programs.

For further information you can contact the ERAS HelpDesk at 202-862-6264."

So the official answer is 8AM EST.

I thought this was a legitimate question, and thank you for the answer.

Thank you guys! Totally appreciate the response :)