When is it too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Prettywoman0172

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It has been 8 years since I have been to this forum.

I applied in 2015 but I withdrew. I was burned out and life was happening and I thought I would be ok not trying to be a doctor anymore. I was 43yo then. I am 51yo now.

I have worked in healthcare my entire life and I’m still in healthcare. I was talking to a couple of doctors recently and they asked me why I didn’t keep going or why I dont just try again now and I said because I think its too late. And both of them said, “I had someone older than you in my graduating class.”

I feel the urge and the calling off an on still. But is it worth it to try or is it honestly just too late now?

All of my prerequisites were completed 2010-2015 except biochemistry which wasn’t a requirement when I applied in 2015. I can take that class locally this year (if I can even remember any science).

Honest advice please because I am really torn.

Ann Marie

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I’ve heard of older students going into medicine, so in a technical sense it’s not too late.

Would I want to do medical school in my 50’s? If I’m honest with myself not really, I struggle with it some days in my 30’s and I’m relying on the good health of youth still.

If you are financially sound and still can’t let it go then go for it, it sounds like your experiences would be highly valued as a candidate. If you worry about finances, coming back from this will be a lot harder. 4 years of school and likely minimum 150k in debt and around 4 years of residency making a lot less money that you probably get paid now. But you would be an attending before 60.

It really just depends on where you are in life. Children all grown up and in college? No grandkids you want to spend tons of time with? Time will become your absolute most precious resource, how much are you willing to put in for this dream?

Reactions: 1 user
Do it . It’s better to regret something you’ve done than something you haven’t . My mom completely changed careers at 47, went back to school . Now, she is 70, retired, but if you ask her - she absolutely loved it . It gave her confidence, and purpose . I am ridiculously proud of her .

DO IT

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you feel strongly about it, at least give it a go. I believe we can get @Goro here to post about the few older students he has seen as his school.

The brutally honest part I'll give you is that at this point in your life, you're likely going to end up in a primary care field that consists of three years of post grad training (so IM, peds, FM types of fields). I'm not saying you can't do something else, but it will be an uphill climb for sure.

Do you feel you'll be able to do ok on the MCAT?

I applied in 2015 but I withdrew. I was burned out and life was happening and I thought I would be ok not trying to be a doctor anymore. I was 43yo then. I am 51yo now.

I have worked in healthcare my entire life and I’m still in healthcare. I was talking to a couple of doctors recently and they asked me why I didn’t keep going or why I dont just try again now and I said because I think its too late. And both of them said, “I had someone older than you in my graduating class.”

I feel the urge and the calling off an on still. But is it worth it to try or is it honestly just too late now?

All of my prerequisites were completed 2010-2015 except biochemistry which wasn’t a requirement when I applied in 2015. I can take that class locally this year (if I can even remember any science).

Ann Marie
I think the oldest matriculant that 've heard of was 63, my school's record is 53.

Given that you still have some time to make up all the prereqs, take the MCAT and get in shadowing/ECs, I recommend that it's not worth the effort.

Don't do it. The opportunity cost is too great and I don't think it would be worth it at this point. I'm a believer that there are multiple ways to be fulfilled. Unless you're a Texas resident you're looking at a much higher debt burden now compared to when you were looking in 2015.

If you're still working in healthcare, good for you... we need people who are dedicated to the healthcare team and system as so many people have stepped away since the pandemic. I say this because you mentioned that you felt burned out years ago, and certainly trying to get back to grinding for a medical school seat will be full of those times when you are burned out. Then medical school and residency will exhaust you further if needed.

It's not to say you shouldn't do it. You have to know your own finances well enough to try it out, including your retirement account. I just saw someone who is very accomplished as a medical science liaison decide to go back to medical school and is currently starting M3 rotations even while working on the side with his non-profit.

Ann Marie
Personally, I say go for it. My Dad started attending school again to get his bachelor's in art (his true passion) and he is 54 years old. Some days it is a struggle for him, and he feels like giving up, but I remind him that I'm proud because he is following his dream. There will be days in which you break down and other days where you feel unstoppable; the best thing about every day is your living and fighting for your dream. Although I don't know you, it would make me proud and fill my heart with happiness to know you followed your dream!

If you do MD, and hated it, you can always go back to your old job. Not to mention MD opens a lot of doors. Besides being a doctor, you can run for the president like Ben Carson, or you can do research like Fauci and be lionized and demonized by the whole country at the sane time lol. Joking aside, if you stay on your current job and continue to hate it, I feel like you'll always regret not going for it when you're older. Regrets near death is something that I fear the most.

Reactions: 2 users
If you do MD, and hated it, you can always go back to your old job. Not to mention MD opens a lot of doors. Besides being a doctor, you can run for the president like Ben Carson, or you can do research like Fauci and be lionized and demonized by the whole country at the sane time lol. Joking aside, if you stay on your current job and continue to hate it, I feel like you'll always regret not going for it when you're older. Regrets near death is something that I fear the most.
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I say go for it. Better to do what is your passion than to sit and wonder what if!!

Reactions: 1 users
There's still Dr. Oz Profit! :)