When is the latest date I should take the 2015 MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MikeyDub

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When would I still be considered an "early" applicant and have the highest chance of receiving interviews? When is the latest I can get my score back and be prime for interview season? There are 2 in April and one in May, that you get your test back in mid June. One in June that you get back in late July. One in July that you get back in August...etc.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally, you want to submit your primary right away when the aamc accepts application (June 1st). It will take about 3-4 weeks for AAMC to verify your application, thus your verified application won't be sent to the schools you selected around July. So you can take your MCAT any date before June and you will have your score back by July. "Early" application is good, but make sure the quality of the application is good as well. Don't underestimate how long it take to write "the best" personal statement, fill out all of the EC activities. As for personal experience, I would recommend you try to take the MCAT in May, and then use the 1 month of waiting for the MCAT to fill out the AAMC application. Many schools have template to fill out the primary application, or you can even find it online.

Ideal would be May but you can do June and still be fine, assuming your secondaries will be done by the time your MCAT comes out. I was "complete" between the end of July and the 2nd week of August and I've done well for myself this cycle. I still would say to do May though. But if you aren't ready June is okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being complete by the end of July is a good thing. I'd say a mid June MCAT is probably the latest I'd want to do it. I would also pre-write all my secondaries while waiting for the score. I believe the primary can be submitted without an MCAT score so you'd start getting secondaries from some places, but you can still pre-write everything. This will ensure that you'll be complete by mid-late july at most places, but might drag into august.

Taking it in may or early june is better if you're worried about it.

I am in the same boat and I am shooting for the May test date. The April and may tests will be slightly delayed, but they have promised to have the MCAT scores back to us before the date that AAMC submits to the schools. Still with only one test out for feedback and no scores from April available before the May test, I am nervous. At least if I bomb the test in May I will know before I spend the money and submit my app for verification.