When should I ask about LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Loveherstory90

Reaction score
What is the best way to approach a professor at the beginning of the course about LOR? I am desperate and have been let down by 2 professors already after waiting after the course is over.
A.) Should I just ask what their LOR policy is at the beginning of the course and ask at the end of the course?
B.) Should I let them know at the beginning of the course that I will be requesting a LOR at the end so they can watch my performance throughout their course?

Members don't see this ad.

Read

For your two questions, it wouldn't hurt. I doubt many will watch your performance like a hawk watching its prey, but that depends on the class they are teaching (definitely not watching if a large lecture class).

Not all profs have crystal balls to see what a student’s performance will be at the end of the trimester/semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depending on the course, profs might already tell you their policy towards LOR's. I've had a couple of upper division classes where the prof laid out their expectations. However, if they don't, schedule a meeting with them early on in the term, or middle of the term, and ask them if they'd be willing to write you a letter. Sometimes it could be how you phrase the question, or maybe you just got unlucky. But being proactive about the letter will help save you some stress in the long run. You don't need to hound the prof every week. Ask them, then send a reminder maybe a month and a half towards its due, then a week before, making sure you highlight the due date in each email and where they can expect to submit it. You want to make the process as easy, and less stressful, as possible for them.

I don't think they'd watch your performance, but they might ask you to give them details on how you did. I had one prof ask for my GPA for the subject, and a breakdown of the points scored for certain subjects in their class (tests, quizzes, homework). So each one is different, but I doubt they'd keep an eye on you.

Reactions: 1 user
I'll clarify: think about what you want the professor to comment on. If the class requires full participation and you are a frequent contributor asking germane and provocative questions, I'd want my reference to say so. If the class is just a lecture/exam-response class, there's not much.

Reactions: 1 user
Honestly the dental school have 3,000+ applicants to look at and only take around 50-100. Majority of the time they aren’t going to look at the letters of rec.

When I got into dental school I only had one letter rec from a science professor. The office of admission said they wanted me to get another letter of rec, but I just told them none of the professors were willing to write me one due to the length of time that had passed. I was a non traditional applicant and took 2 years off after graduating. Office of admission came back and said no problem. They send me a letter of acceptance the following week; of course it probably just depends on the school too.