When should I take the MCAT? (No Gap Year)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lawyer101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just flat out what is the best time to take the MCAT? I've heard during Junior year if not taking a gap year but what month? Do people usually take it in fall or winter or spring? Are there benefits to taking it earlier?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on when you'll finish all the recommended coursework for it and when you'll be able to prepare adequately. Taking it January would give you time to retake without a gap year if your scores turn out low. However, taking it in late spring or in summer would let you prepare more with the risks of having to take a gap year if you don't score well and possibly being unable to apply early. I've known people who've also taken it summer after Sophomore year since they had finished the prereqs and prepared adequately. Moral of the story, before senior year if you don't wanna do a gap year.

Depends on when you'll finish all the recommended coursework for it and when you'll be able to prepare adequately. Taking it January would give you time to retake without a gap year if your scores turn out low. However, taking it in late spring or in summer would let you prepare more with the risks of having to take a gap year if you don't score well and possibly being unable to apply early. I've known people who've also taken it summer after Sophomore year since they had finished the prereqs and prepared adequately. Moral of the story, before senior year if you don't wanna do a gap year.

Thanks! thats really helpful. Do you think theres an advantage to take it fall right after sophomore year over taking it in january of junior year? It seems like january will be the best choice for me right now.

Thanks! thats really helpful. Do you think theres an advantage to take it fall right after sophomore year over taking it in january of junior year? It seems like january will be the best choice for me right now.
No problem, and taking it in early fall of Junior year (~Aug-Sept?) would be great if you had the time to commit to studying in summer. If you work full-time in summer or are busy, you might not be ready for an early fall MCAT. A January MCAT would allow you to study consistently through the fall semester (maybe 4-5 hr/week) and then go super hardcore over winter break during the homestretch to test day. I'd prefer the latter since my summers are generally packed.