When to Apply for Scribe Position

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharkbyte

Take me to the top
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan to take a gap year after graduating in May and I want to get a position as a scribe, hopefully full time for one year.

I'm thinking I'll start in June 2015. Would applying now be a good idea, or is it too early? Would it be better to apply in December or so?

Members don't see this ad.

If you apply now, they will likely want to hire you right away (for me the hiring process took over 2 months), but I feel that it is too soon. I would start trying to snag an interview in December, but even then, you may have to start before June if you find a position quickly

Don't apply a year early. Wait until January at the earliest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely don't apply now. At the hospital where I work it takes forever to get through HR and get people's accounts set up, so if you want to start in May, I'd apply in February or March. That gives enough time to get an interview and talk about your schedule, and then they can arrange to get you through HR and you can provide all the records they need, then you'll be set in time to start in June.

Okay sounds good. I think I'll apply during my spring break. Thanks for all the help!

FWIW I applied at the start of this past May, started working at the end of May, so it's really not a long turnaround.

I started applying to a scribe job in May, but it ended up taking too long (2 months for an in-person interview!). I finally got an interview for the scribe job last week, but they informed me that I wouldn't find out for a couple of weeks. I had already been offered two other medical assistant jobs, though, and I ended up taking one of those. I suggest that, if you are interested in becoming a scribe, you apply earlier rather than later. I waited until after graduation, and didn't want to turn down two perfectly amazing job offers. Plus, it got really boring sitting around my parents' house for a month, without a full time occupation.

However, I did notice that the hospital seemed to be interviewing throughout the summer to fill spots starting in August, when their crop of scribes go to medical schools. Thus, even if you apply in January, you should check the start date for the scribe position. It might not be until August, and you might not find out until a month before. This would make it unfortunate if you didn't get the job because by then you might have turned down other offers.

Not sure if that made sense. I think I need to get off my computer now.

Reactions: 1 user