When to apply if retaking MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Exoduso

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the MCAT in October and scored very bad (25) ... I was almost late and it screwed with me and so my mental preparation was very bad that day and clearly showed.

I went through months of reconsidering what I want to do with my life, but decided to suck it up and just retake the MCAT, even though it's completely new now.

I still plan on applying in this upcoming cycle, but I know that applications start on June 1st and the best I can do is take the new test in 7 weeks on May 22nd, assuming I feel ready for it (I currently don't have a spot but they usually open up..)

My question is basically.... should I still send my application on June 1st, get my letters of rec out of the way, and have everything in the system before I even retake the MCAT? Or rather, before I have the score for it? Since I have an MCAT score I assume that I CAN do that, but how many schools are actually going to wait for the new test result before deciding? Is that even how the system works? Should I wait on the application altogether until I have the new score to ensure that I don't get dismissed right away?

Anybody have any experiences with this that can share? I would gladly appreciate it because I don't know how to go about it and I don't want to potentially ruin this app cycle by jumping the gun and applying with my 25 before I get my new scores in.

Members don't see this ad.

You want to take the MCAT when you are fully ready. If this means taking another year, seriously consider doing that and possibly avoiding another low score (in which case you would have to take another year anyways).

What you can do is submit the application on June 1st, but only add 1 random school you have no intention of applying to. This will allow your application to become verified while you're waiting on your scores. Then you can add schools when you get your score back. This will also prevent schools from basing their decision solely on the 25. Also, pre write secondaries.

Is verification what takes the most time usually? As in, once I'm verified and submit my new score to my core application, I can add the other schools and they will immediately receive the application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I should also mention that I am already a year after my graduation almost... so I don't want to make it seem like I'm taking too much time off as well, regardless of the ECs I've been doing since then. It's part of why I feel like I have to submit my application this cycle or it's not going to happen, and why it's rather urgent for me to go for the MCAT when i'm ready, sure, but also not idle for too long either.

I assume taking the MCAT in July-August would be late even, if I'm verified at that point correct?

Taking the MCAT in August would mean you get your scores late Aug/Early Oct which is very late. Taking it in early July wouldn't be early but it would be ok if your score was good, but applying early really does help.

Have you considered DO?

I might considering what I score in this upcoming MCAT. I know that I'm capable of way more than a 25, and I let the whole concept of the test get to me mentally. Having been through the test once, I feel like I am more comfortable stepping into it a second time, regardless of the changes in play.

I guess we'll see. Thank you for taking the time to answer some of my concerns though, it is greatly appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if this has any relevance to the conversation, but I'm almost positive that this year the AMCAS is not being sent out to medical schools until July (or at least that is the impression I got from the site about test dates). It looks like everyone sitting for the exam in April and May will receive their scores before AMCAS is submitted.

Taken from the AMCAS site: "Examinees who test in April or May will receive their scores before AMCAS begins sending applications to medical schools for the first time in early July."

The latest I would take your MCAT is beginning of July. Submit your primary on the first day so it can get verified, and it will be sent to schools at the beginning of july (all apps are head until a certain date). Take your MCAT in July and as you wait for your scores, write and submit all of your secondaries so that when schools get your new MCAT score they can start to evaluate your application.

Do not make the mistake of waiting to submit your primary because verification is the longest step.