when to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
J

jk680

I will be applying for med schools soon so I think I'd better ask those of you who are already in for advice. My ques.: How important do you think timing is when appyling? Do you think it helps if your #'s aren't stellar? Also, what do you think helped you the most? (stats, research, etc.)Please, no rude responses. I'm kinda nervous about this whole process. Oh, and one more thing, what is the atmosphere like at Sinai and Einstein? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by jk680 (edited 04-02-2000).]

Members don't see this ad.

Dear JK,

I'm a soon-to-be first year at Cornell. I got in last year, but took off this year 'cause I got a grant to do volunteering in Nepal and Tibet at the last minute.

I also teach and lecture for Kaplan, so in terms of what students are getting on MCATs I have current info, since I teach the class.

OK, so here goes on the advice (just wanted to give you that intro to increase credibility first, ya know?) Apply Early!
The deal with applications, according to a friend of mine who's been on the committees is that the first ones you see, you think, "Wow, these are great!" As you get to see more and more, however, you see more and more variety. Maybe you start to see some from Rhodes scholars or the like, so your standards begin to go further and further up. That and the whole rolling admissions thing means its important to get everything, AMCAS, secondaries, everything, in early. Having said that, however, don't worry if you dont get them in as early as possible. I took my MCATs in August, and schools didn't get my scores until October, and I did just fine, so Im sure its not too big a deal if you can't get it in ASAP.

As for the numbers, they help, but they're not all. I had performed a lot of research when I applied, and had just finished my honors thesis in neurobio. But I also had a lot of volunteer work in both medicine- and non-medicine-related settings. Both of those are very important, as well.

Finally, think about sending letters to your first-choice school. Spell it out for them that you want to go there. Schools like a sure "taker" because it means that their acceptance ratio will go up, and that means their ranking might go up too.

As for Einstein and Sinai, I have no info on either. But, just as a thought, wasn't it a Ob-Gyn at Sinai who carved his initials "Zorro-style" on the belly of one of his C-sectioned patients?

Hey Buttercup, thanks for the great info.! About that letter to your top choice, when should you send that? With the application? Before you apply? Oh, and I saw a big news segment on that Zorro doc. If I remember correctly, he's from Beth Israel. That couple also had some problems at NYU. (NYU lost their still born baby for 17 days!) Again, thanks for the info.! It was very helpful. Have fun at Nepal and Tibet, too!

Members don't see this ad :)
JK- I sent my first letter before anyone had heard about interviews, in a way asking them to just give me the chance to interview and they would be impressed...
The second you should send to all schools who interview you as a thank-you note (although I should tell you everyone sends these so this one probably wont be read)
The last one send about 2 weeks after your interview, and this should be the one where you really spell out that, if accepted, you will attend.

Good Luck!

when you guys say early..what do you mean...i am applying for 2001 class..when is the "early"time for me..thank you for your reply

salman-
For me early means sometime before July. Don't necessarily get it in the first day possible-June 5- as that might look a bit too compulsive, or hint that you didn't put that much time into the application. Do,however, get it in before the end of July for best results, though, as I said before, don't stress if you aren't able to, it wont really hurt you that much!

Good Luck!

Buttercup,

When writing that initail letter to schools before you get an interview, who do you typically send those too? Does it just go to the admissions office in hopes that someone will read it? Lastly, what do you say? I've been given lots of advice on contacting schools before I apply and during the process, but I dont know who to really talk to or try to contact...

Dear Primetime,

I would write the first letter to the whole admission committee and then just hope it gets read. What you say depends, but in general it helps to list why you already like the school, having not yet seen it (or maybe you have), why you are a good candidate, and lastly just ask them to give you an interview as a way to prove how you would be a great fit for the school. Then, if you do get an interview, write a thank-you note both to the interviewer, and to the committee, and even consider giving one to the person who set up the interviews- they hold a lot more power than you might think and they rarely get thanked for what they do!

Hope this helps!

I wrote thank you letters and got rejected. I invest $4 in two blank cards and used those as thank you cards and got in. Of course there was more to it. I also priority mailed it and included a thank you note addressed to the lady who runs the office, plus "members of the office of admissions."

I actually took the Aug 99 and didn't get interviews until March 2000. My acceptance was at the school that interviewed me on March 27th....so I guess I really lucked out. By the way, I am definitely one of the rare exceptions and not the rule. I would have rather gotten my application in over the summer and interviewed during Oct-Nov 99. I think that would have been better. At least I would not have lost so much sleep worrying about being rejected for the 3rd AMCAS in a row (yes, I applied via AMCAS 3 times over a 6 year period).

If your numbers aren't great, reapplying earlier or later or whatever, probably won't help too much. After my first application in 94, I did a Master's. That enhanced my GPA. I also retook the MCAT just last year. That plus tons of extra-currics got me that letter of acceptance (to a MD/PhD at a US School
smile.gif
). If you're motivated and medicine is your passion, even if you don't make it in this year, or next year or the year after that, keep applying and applying. Your determination will show and will impress the adcoms. Good luck.

Oh, I forgot to mention, at the school that admitted me, the dean of admissions interviewed me and I kept telling her how impressed I was with the school. That probably made her think that I was going to attend even if I received multiple acceptance. Try to work that into your interviews.

------------------