When to ask mentor to make phone calls on my behalf?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lorimz

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mentor offered to make phone calls for me to academic faculty he knows. Should I ask him to do this soon before interview invites go out? Or should I wait until after invites go out and I didn't get one. I just don't want to come off as too pushy, but at the same time I don't want to wait too long and miss the boat because they won't have a spot for me. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My mentor offered to make phone calls for me to academic faculty he knows. Should I ask him to do this soon before interview invites go out? Or should I wait until after invites go out and I didn't get one. I just don't want to come off as too pushy, but at the same time I don't want to wait too long and miss the boat because they won't have a spot for me. Thank you!
Has he told you who he is willing to call? - he will probably call the people he knows best. Nice of him to offer.

ASAP

If it's after invites go out, you run the risk of not getting a spot unless someone else declines.

If it's after the interview, it won't help as much since most programs rank candidates right after the interview.

Ideally they put in a word for you now, then put in another word for you at the program(s) you really liked after the interview.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
would you recommend asking mentors to call if they have not offered?

If it's to get interviews? Probably. As long as you ask in a very polite way. (IF you happen to know someone and IF you have the time and wouldn't mind...)

If it's post interview? It depends how much you want to try to end up at the program to which the call will be made vs your mentor's program (home program in most cases).

Reactions: 1 users