When to resubmit Primary, with a waitlist spot

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Soleil9

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have one waitlist spot that I'm still holding out hope for...

When should I submit my AACOMAS and AAMCAS? Should I wait till mid june/july? One one hand, I'd like to submit June 1st (I applied much too late last year, don't want to let it hapen again!), but on the other hand, I don't want to waste the application money if I do get pulled off the waitlist. It's a bit of a gamble!

Is anyone else in this situation?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in this situation last year (and boy am I glad I resubmitted in June). What I ended up doing was trying to get an idea by calling the school I was waitlisted at and asking them about my status. I was on an 'unranked' list, so it was more complicated than gauging by numbers, but when I talked to the Dean of Admissions, based on what she told me, I was fairly confident after our conversation that I wasn't going to get in. I ended up resubmitting the AMCAS in late June. You probably don't need to submit June 1, but if you can have your application ready to send towards the end of Jan, and you can get something out of the admissions office, you are probably in good shape.

And honestly, if you do get accepted at the last minute, you will be so happy about that, you won't regret putting your mind at peace for the past couple of months with the extra money (which is a drop in the bucket compared to med school anyway). Plus, you won't have to pay the secondary fees, which is the really expensive part.

Hope this helps - good luck getting off the waitlist!