When to sign up for Step II as M3/M4?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

studentdoc911

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I 'm planning to take it in August.

Members don't see this ad.

Complicated answer:

To answer it, you need more information
(1) What was your Step 1 (less than average, average, above average, stellar)?
(2) What are you applying to (competitive, not competitive)

Because if you were stellar on Step 1, you risk having an inferior score. Let the stellar score ride you into a residency interview. Then, you just pass Step 2 and call it a day. But if you are anything short of stellar, Step 2 can prove very useful.

In addition, 5 years ago Step 2 didnt matter. Now, programs are using it as marker of clinical success. It matters now. It not only can be used to boost a poor performance on Step 1 (a girl I know was specifically told she got her surgery interview because of her Step 2 score and would not have received that interview because of her step 1 score), but is now becoming more and more required by progams for acceptance.

Universally true is that Step 1 gets you the interview, and Step 2 can help with the rank list. It isn't a must, and having on ERAS is not essential. If you are going to do well on both, seal the deal and be all like "yeah, boss, rank me." If you did poorly on Step 1, use step 2 to show that it was a fluke and that you really are a good candidate. If you annhilated Step 1, and your program doesn't specifically mandate you have a Step 2 score in, take it late.

There is no universally true answer for Step 2 right now. In general, however, I would recommend having it on your ERAS. Treat it like Step 1. Its hard, important, and makes a difference on whether you get an interview or not, and, more importantly, where you end up on the rank list.

Obviously character, feel, interviews matter more, but don't give them a reason to decrease your rank because of Step scores (i.e. take it early and destroy it OR take it late enough for it not to matter)

I'm applying for pathology (not very competitive) and I scored in the 250's, Step II early would be pointless in my case, right?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should look into signing up by the end of April at the latest. Though, I'd do it now if I were you so that you have more control over the specific date and you don't want to end up taking it in the middle of a really important rotation (like sub-I).

Sign up for Step 2 CS after you finish your third year clerkships. Sign up for Step 2 CK either summer before applying or Nov/Dec of 4th year, depending on whether or not you scored above the average step 1 score for people matching into your specialty.

Only a minority of programs require Step 2 prior to ranking, and only ones I know of are UC programs.

That said, I put them off until now and it's cutting into celebration time.