When to start asking for letters of rec?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jv00927

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an undergrad sophomore planning to apply to med school 2007-2008 cycle (I'm taking a year off). When should I start asking for letters of rec?

Members don't see this ad.

Earlier the better... although some may not write you one until your grade is clear to them or the class is over and your grade is final....if that's the case, ask them right after the class finishes.... try to get to know your prof a little bit, it always helps them to write better recs if they know you...good luck!

I was gonna answer but remembered that for you guys (in the states) that you need profs right? (Well.. I saw BS's answer)

Cause I had 3 LOR's, none of them a prof of any course I took, and I asked them 2 months before the letters were due.

I put it off because I sort of dreaded doing it...So I got them all by Jan-Feb of my Jr year, minus one from a DO that I won't have til the end of May or so. As long as you have them all taken care of by the time the secondaries start coming in which couldn't be much sooner than the very end of June...That is, the summer when you apply.