MD When to start practice q’s for step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hzreio

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently working through anking, but have not done any practice q’s wondering what resources for questions is typically regarded the best and what the best time to start them should be?

I’m in my first yr still, but I’d imagine most people do Anki -> practice q’s -> full lengths (during dedicated?) mostly? With various degrees of overlap. Would appreciate thoughts, comments, past experiences. Ty

Members don't see this ad.

with step p/f idk how important anki is. Anyways i would do l amboss or usmlerx qbank starting whenever u want tbh. Maybe incorporate uworld in as you start getting closer to dedicated time.

Reactions: 1 user
I would recommend starting questions whenever your school starts systems. USMLE-Rx is good for first year, you can choose questions based on First Aid subjects and they’re not super hard/esoteric like Amboss can be, so they’re good for getting your feet wet, so to speak.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend starting questions whenever your school starts systems. USMLE-Rx is good for first year, you can choose questions based on First Aid subjects and they’re not super hard/esoteric like Amboss can be, so they’re good for getting your feet wet, so to speak.

You referring to the qmax?

with step p/f idk how important anki is. Anyways i would do l amboss or usmlerx qbank starting whenever u want tbh. Maybe incorporate uworld in as you start getting closer to dedicated time.

Tbh I don’t learn anything without Anki lol. So I’ll watch the sketchy/pathoma/whatever vid once on 2x then the rest of my studies will be on Anki so idk about not doing anki even w pass fail. Plus it helps me with in house stuff too

Currently working through anking, but have not done any practice q’s wondering what resources for questions is typically regarded the best and what the best time to start them should be?

I’m in my first yr still, but I’d imagine most people do Anki -> practice q’s -> full lengths (during dedicated?) mostly? With various degrees of overlap. Would appreciate thoughts, comments, past experiences. Ty
Xmas of M2

I am guessing ANKING is a Step 1 Anki deck compilation. The answer to your question depends on your curriculum.

When in medical school, my curriculum was broken down into normal/abnormal where normal was anatomy, physiology, etc. and then abnormal was microbiology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology. In that clinical construct, it was very difficult to start doing most of the practice questions widely available as the questions required integration of normal/abnormal concepts. If your curriculum is similar, you're kind of stuck doing whatever questions your lecturers provide to you vs. questions in BRS books which are so-so in my opinion. Step 1 question banks are out. Most started around XMas of M2 like Goro suggests above.

On the other hand, if your curriculum covers an organ system in it's entirety (i.e you go from cardiac myocytes to pharmacology of cardiomyopathy) in a month, then I recommend purchasing the USMLE Rx Question Bank. A new kid on the block that may be better is AMBOSS. One thing I don't know actually is if AMBOSS does a good job with basic stuff like anatomy and physiology. If it does, you could consider those questions even in the normal/abnormal model. Think about this and ask thoughtful questions to your upperclassmen.

For the sake of the next generation of medical students, I really hope schools have transitioned to integrative blocks because now Step 1 is P/F, you need to introduce the abnormal stuff earlier so students can start learning Step 2 stuff instead of spending a year on something like histology.

Last edited:
I am guessing ANKING is a Step 1 Anki deck compilation. The answer to your question depends on your curriculum.

When in medical school, my curriculum was broken down into normal/abnormal where normal was anatomy, physiology, etc. and then abnormal was microbiology, pharmacology, and pathophysiology. In that clinical construct, it was very difficult to start doing most of the practice questions widely available as the questions required integration of normal/abnormal concepts. If your curriculum is similar, you're kind of stuck doing whatever questions your lecturers provide to you vs. questions in BRS books which are so-so in my opinion. Step 1 question banks are out. Most started around XMas of M2 like Goro suggests above.

On the other hand, if your curriculum covers an organ system in it's entirety (i.e you go from cardiac myocytes to pharmacology of cardiomyopathy) in a month, then I recommend purchasing the USMLE Rx Question Bank. A new kid on the block that may be better is AMBOSS. One thing I don't know actually is if AMBOSS does a good job with basic stuff like anatomy and physiology. If it does, you could consider those questions even in the normal/abnormal model. Think about this and ask thoughtful questions to your upperclassmen.

For the sake of the next generation of medical students, I really hope schools have transitioned to integrative blocks because now Step 1 is P/F, you need to introduce the abnormal stuff earlier so students can start learning Step 2 stuff instead of spending a year on something like histology.

Yeah we get blocks I think. Like ID psych neuro etc etc?

Since Step 1 is P/F, I would just use UWorld during your blocks - do them by organ block as you go through them timed and then when you hit dedicated, just reset it and do it all random, timed once again and you'll be set. Mix in those NBMEs during dedicated too. Passing is not a high threshold so you shouldn't spend too much time worrying about Step 1 now. Should think more about what you want to go into and how to maximize your chances of getting into that specialty.

Reactions: 2 users
Since Step 1 is P/F, I would just use UWorld during your blocks - do them by organ block as you go through them timed and then when you hit dedicated, just reset it and do it all random, timed once again and you'll be set. Mix in those NBMEs during dedicated too. Passing is not a high threshold so you shouldn't spend too much time worrying about Step 1 now. Should think more about what you want to go into and how to maximize your chances of getting into that specialty.

I mostly want to get a solid base on step 1 for step 2. Aiming for a competitive specialty so high board score is a must

Dedicated. You're better off building the foundation off of resources / anki throughout the preclin time instead of jumping into practice Qs too early.

I mostly want to get a solid base on step 1 for step 2. Aiming for a competitive specialty so high board score is a must
That's a good thought to have - but still I would emphasize those other things since Step 1 is P/F and you will have time to study for Step 2 in both the clinical years and during your Step 2 dedicated period (take less time for Step 1 dedicated and use that time for Step 2 dedicated). Focus on the other ECs because these will become more important now anyway.

That's a good thought to have - but still I would emphasize those other things since Step 1 is P/F and you will have time to study for Step 2 in both the clinical years and during your Step 2 dedicated period (take less time for Step 1 dedicated and use that time for Step 2 dedicated). Focus on the other ECs because these will become more important now anyway.

Yeah, def agree about the other ECs part. I figure if I can start earlier and do like a couple practice q’s a day it’ll save me some hassle for dedicated. Qbanks be expensive tho lol

Yeah, def agree about the other ECs part. I figure if I can start earlier and do like a couple practice q’s a day it’ll save me some hassle for dedicated. Qbanks be expensive tho lol
I doubt that doing a couple a day will help. Whenever you're using a QBank, it's always better to do timed blocks at a time if you can. This helps simulate test-like conditions. I never did any fewer than 10 questions at a time (unless I started a block and then got called away for something).